#43 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 17 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

In the end, if Sacramento has their own potential financing in place in time, this is going to come down to short-term thinking versus long-term thinking. Do they take the market and the financial boost both indirect (through the increased fan interest) and direct (relocation fees), and risk the entire foundation of the new arena scam for every other city that comes along? Or do they stay in Sacramento and show that the league wants to reward cities and fans while removing poor ownership without relocation.

#44 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:52 PM

I think it's too little, too late for Sacramento. They've had time to sort out their issues, they haven't. Obviously, I don't blame Kevin Johnson for scrambling to get some 11th hour deal together. It's sad that fans have to suffer because of poor ownership, which I don't believe was always that way. But at the end of the day, I think a team in Seattle matters more than in Sacramento. Obviously, this will be tougher for Sacramento than it was for Seattle losing a team, since the likelihood of the NBA returning there is slimmer.
@levineps

#45 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

I think it's too little, too late for Sacramento. They've had time to sort out their issues, they haven't. Obviously, I don't blame Kevin Johnson for scrambling to get some 11th hour deal together. It's sad that fans have to suffer because of poor ownership, which I don't believe was always that way. But at the end of the day, I think a team in Seattle matters more than in Sacramento. Obviously, this will be tougher for Sacramento than it was for Seattle losing a team, since the likelihood of the NBA returning there is slimmer.

The whole reason there is any discussion about this is because Sacramento DID sort out their issues, only the Maloofs basically told them what they could do with the arena plans and prospective owners and tried first the move to Anaheim and now (under coercion) selling to the Seattle group.

That's also why the owners will think real hard about allowing the sale and move? Why would any other city allow themselves to be scammed into a new arena by a team when they can point to Sacramento as an example of doing everything the team and league wanted and still losing?

#46 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 07:45 PM

http://probasketball... ... gs-future/

This is part of what I'm talking about. The Seattle group is planning on building a privately-funded arena, while Sacramento may have the funds and support for a public arena. The NBA is going to have to choose between the two, and that decision could have long-term ramifications on future arena deals and prospective moves.

#47 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:20 PM

http://probasketball... ... -an-arena/

While Seattle’s lawsuits aren’t likely to be the defining factor in this saga – Sacramento’s production of an actionable offer will be that factor –the fact that the Emerald City can’t say with certainly how long they’ll be locked up at Key Arena could be the starting point for their bid to take the Kings to unravel.

#48 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

ESPN: Sacramento group bids for Kings

http://espn.go.com/n...acramento-group

The NBA received an official offer Friday from 24 Hour Fitness founder Mark Mastrov and billionaire Ron Burkle to buy the Sacramento Kings and keep the team from moving to Seattle, league spokesman Tim Frank said. No financial details of the proposal have been released.

@levineps

#49 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

ESPN: Sacramento group bids for Kings

http://espn.go.com/n...acramento-group

What a mess.....Sacramento is battling right to the bitter end.
@mikeghg

#50 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 10:55 PM

The league should announce that they are blocking the Maloof's deal with the Seattle group, and at the same time announce two expansion teams: Seattle and Kansas City.

Probably won't happen, but solves both problems.

#51 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:15 PM

There are enough teams, they don't need to add anymore. I don't think will see contraction because of the Players Union, but I'm sure the NBA would rather have that than more teams.
@levineps

#52 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 March 2013 - 12:27 PM

There are enough teams, they don't need to add anymore. I don't think will see contraction because of the Players Union, but I'm sure the NBA would rather have that than more teams.

http://www.grantland... ... rgains-nba

Read the first 800ish words (up to the "But here's the catch …" where he starts specifically talking contracts). I think the owners would love to get two new ownership groups paying large sums in expansion fees and opening (or re-opening) markets, while the players would love another two-dozen guaranteed jobs.

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 April 2013 - 03:19 PM

ESPN: Maloofs favor Seattle Kings deal

http://espn.go.com/n...acramento-kings

@levineps

#54 DBean

DBean
  • Members
  • 482 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills, MD

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:13 PM

ESPN: Committee Wants Kings to Stay Put

http://espn.go.com/n...-kings-stay-put

Can't really imagine the Kings move to Seattle if the NBA owners feel the Kings should stay in Sacramento.

@mrbeanage

#55 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:01 PM

Unless the Hanson group wants to still buy the Kings and then go through an anti-trust court battle with the league (which they'd probably win, but I can't see them wanting this) then looks like Seattle's effort was all for naught. They could try to petition the league for an expansion team, I guess, but I don't see that happening. Personally I think they have a much better shot at the NHL.

#56 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 11 May 2013 - 11:05 PM

Looks like it's gonna be a bidding war.

The group trying to move the Sacramento Kings to Seattle is continuing to be relentless in its pursuit. And the NBA could be listening.

Chris Hansen and Steve Ballmer, the deep-pocketed Seattle-based investors trying to acquire the team, have struck a new deal with the Kings' current owners, the Maloofs, that may create more drama in Sacramento and the league office. Two sources told ESPN.com the Maloofs have informed their fellow owners that if their deal to sell and relocate the Kings to Seattle is not approved by league owners next week, they will not sell the team to a Sacramento-based group that promises to keep the Kings in Sacramento.

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 May 2013 - 03:35 AM

Looks like it's gonna be a bidding war.

This just keeps taking twists and turns. It looked like Sacramento was doomed then it looked like it was 50/50 more or less then it was Sacramento's. This is very interesting to say the least, not sure where this is going to end up. If it's purely a bidding war, it should go to Seattle but I think this might be far from over.

@levineps

#58 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 12 May 2013 - 01:11 PM

This just keeps taking twists and turns. It looked like Sacramento was doomed then it looked like it was 50/50 more or less then it was Sacramento's. This is very interesting to say the least, not sure where this is going to end up. If it's purely a bidding war, it should go to Seattle but I think this might be far from over.

I think it's become pretty apparent that the other owners are playing the sides against each other, trying to extract the most money out of this for themselves that they can. (shocker, I know)

I think it will be Seattle, ultimately because their arena plan is pretty much a go as soon as they get a team, whereas Sacramento's arena plan still needs work and could fall through.....even though their ownership group looks much more solid now than it did.

#59 ChaosLex

ChaosLex

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 10:57 AM

Stern’s comments at the Board of Governors meeting in Dallas left folks in Seattle feeling all three of those emotions, and it’s difficult to blame them. The outrage — the feeling of being personally and viciously insulted — began as soon as Stern opened his mouth, before he even confirmed reports that the Kings would not be headed to Seattle thanks to a 22-8 vote by the league’s owners.

“This is going to be short for me,” Stern began. “I have a game to get to in Oklahoma City.”

http://nba.si.com/20...phis-grizzlies/

God, what a douche. That reminds me of the time Tagliabue mocked Baltimore after we failed to land an expansion team. I feel for the NBA fans in Seattle.

@ChaosLex

Stannis Baratheon: "For the night is dark and full of terrors."

#60 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 11:14 AM

Stern's stance on Seattle is bordering on vindictiveness. Retired or not, I'm not sure the city will ever get a team while he's still on this side of the grass.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=