#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:33 AM

Like you, I expect a comfortable win, but wouldn't be too surprised if FSU plays a good game. They appear to be undisciplined, but I haven't really watched them this year.

Fortunately, the Terps are shooting 69.8% from the charity stripe this year, which isn't upper tier, per se, but it's good enough to take advantage of a game where free throw opportunities may come in swarms.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:37 AM

Like you, I expect a comfortable win, but wouldn't be too surprised if FSU plays a good game. They appear to be undisciplined, but I haven't really watched them this year.

Fortunately, the Terps are shooting 69.8% from the charity stripe this year, which isn't upper tier, per se, but it's good enough to take advantage of a game where free throw opportunities may come in swarms.

I think that is fair. Haven't seen much of them either. Typically they are long, athletic team which can cause problems. With Maryland's size and athleticism (and being at home), I think the Terps should be able to pull away. Certainly one of those games where you want to get out to a good start, and not let the opposing team hang around and think they have a chance.

#4 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,356 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 08 January 2013 - 03:13 AM

I'd expect a good game, with the Terps winning by 10-15 by the end. I think they'll have control of the game, and a win would improve their standing in the ACC and their national ranking. They're #31 in the country right now, and if they beat FSU and Miami like they should, they could very well crack the Top 25 next week. 15-1 (3-0 ACC) would look very good on a Top 25 resume.
@BSLZackKiesel

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Just a side note, MD is roughly 31st in the AP and 30th in the Coaches poll's respectively... A convincing win at home vs. FSU, and a win vs. Miami Sunday may propell the Terps into the top 25. Don't ask me why I'm so hung up on this, but I am. Can't help it.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:27 AM

Just a side note, MD is roughly 31st in the AP and 30th in the Coaches poll's respectively... A convincing win at home vs. FSU, and a win vs. Miami Sunday may propell the Terps into the top 25. Don't ask me why I'm so hung up on this, but I am. Can't help it.

Part of me is enjoying them being out of the polls. It has to be motivating. Also allows them to continue to fly under the radar a bit.

#7 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

Part of me is enjoying them being out of the polls. It has to be motivating. Also allows them to continue to fly under the radar a bit.

Very true... good points.

#8 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:28 AM

I have a coworker who is an FSU fan and he essentially implied that my optimism regarding the Terps this season might be more because I am a fan of the team and less due to the fact that they're actually all that good. It's all friendly banter, but I wouldn't be opposed to a 20+ point victory here ;)

@AdamWolff

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:31 AM

I have a coworker who is an FSU fan and he essentially implied that my optimism regarding the Terps this season might be more because I am a fan of the team and less due to the fact that they're actually all that good. It's all friendly banter, but I wouldn't be opposed to a 20+ point victory here ;)

If you haven't watched the Terps, and instead have looked at who they've beaten, I could see someone taking something at a surface level and saying something like that. But anyone who has watched this team more than a couple times with their own eyes has to realize how talented they are.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Per Alex Prewitt via the twitter:

Alex Prewitt (@alex_prewitt) tweeted at 1:19 PM on Tue, Jan 08, 2013:
No change with Faust. He practiced today, Turgeon said he "looked pretty good." Expected to play tomorrow vs. FSU. #TERPS

#11 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,646 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 10:01 PM

Maybe it is because people are not recognizing that Maryland is a very talented team. Their strength of schedule sucks but Maryland is a very deep and well coached team. The polls will reflect marylands resurgence if they keep playing well.
@mikeghg

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:39 PM

Testudo Times: Maryland's Starting 5 Still Unsettled
http://www.testudoti...starting-lineup

What lineup do we see against FSU?

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

Unless a few of the teams in the 20-25 range lose, two wins this week won't get MD into the top-25 yet, IMO. Two wins this week and two wins next week, and they'll break through, even if nobody tumbles out.

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 07:56 PM

Should be interesting to see the starting lineup.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,294 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:06 PM

Howard, Wells, Faust, Mitchell, and Len to start.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,535 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:07 PM

Howard, Wells, Faust, Mitchell, and Len to start.

That's more like what I expected Saturday. Good crowd so far!

#17 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:12 PM

Terps look like they are allergic to the basketball so far. Probably the sloppiest 3 minutes so far this season, which is really saying something.

FSU not looking much better though, fortunately.

Gotta settle down and get the real game started.

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:15 PM

Lost in the great VT game was that the Terps were pretty bad on the boards, especially defensively. That's carried over into today's game.

Really ugly start for the Terps, but not hurting on the scoreboard yet. Just down 4-3 with FSU headed to the line.

Gotta stop playing so damn sloppy. I know they are pretty weak when it comes to controlling the ball but this has peaked to a whole new level.

Hopefully Turgeon can get them settled down during this timeout.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Nick with a tough triple!

#20 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,992 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 08:20 PM

Finally some offense. From both squads. Though Shaq did throw in a missed layup.

MD has hit 3 threes here quickly and now up 14-9. Faust first, then Layman, then Faust again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=