#41 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

Yep....Ryan was destined to fail in NY...and, as Cowherd said this morning, he won with someone else's(Mangini) players.

Remember when everyone was bashing the Ravens for not picking Rex?

That should have been a sign to everyone.

#42 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 12:38 PM

Yep....Ryan was destined to fail in NY...and, as Cowherd said this morning, he won with someone else's(Mangini) players.

Remember when everyone was bashing the Ravens for not picking Rex?

That should have been a sign to everyone.

I'm not going to lie, there were times when I would get angry during the '09 or '10 season when  when Rex was working his magic getting to the consecutive AFC Champ where I know I said I would rather have Rex. Of course, you guys know I've never been the biggest Harbaugh fan anyway. Regardless, I knew it was always a risky statement though because there would likely come a time when Rex would shoot himself in the foot and lose control. It was just in that moment, when things were going really well, that I preferred Rex.

So glad Bischotti decided to go completely out of house after firing Billick. I knew deep down that was the right decision at the time and said as much.Now, he did, or I guess it was Harbaugh's call to keep Rex on as the DC in '08, but Im wondering how much of Harbaugh's tough start with some of the players were due to not only Rex not getting the job, but still being in the building. My guess is that if John had it to do over again he would have gone in a different direction at DC to start his career but that's speculation on my part.

. So much like his dad too. Extrememly talented defensive coach  who defensive players loved but he couldn't run a whole team. However, we know Buddy got a 2nd HC with Arizona so Rex might get one more chance.

#43 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 26 August 2013 - 08:30 PM

So when should he have played?  2nd quarter, or roughly half of what the starters played?  That certainly has merit, but then you aren't getting a very long look at Smith who is also competing for the spot but you don't have as much information on.

It's not like the 3rd string lineman were being asked to block DeMarcus Ware.  It's 3rd string defenders as well.  I think the criticism is largely hindsight, though obviously I've got no idea if Jets fans were saying it was a stupid, useless decision as soon as he came in.

The "playing to win the game" part of his defense is obvious coach-speak.  But I think there was genuine need to play Sanchez in the preseason.

Also, is it really a terrible outcome for the Jets for Sanchez getting hurt?  He's no better than Smith really.  The two are competing for the spot.  It's not like Rex just through his meal ticket to the wolves in the 4th quarter of a preseason game.

You DON'T play Sanchez. Once you've established that Smith isn't going to cut it as your starter this season, Sanchez is your other option. So at that point, you run out the clock and let the third-string guy play. Worst-case, he does well against the backups and people start asking for him on talk radio.

@DJ_McCann

#44 Icterus galbula

Icterus galbula

Half-Member, Half-Amazing

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,224 posts
  • LocationThe Big Easy

Posted 29 August 2013 - 03:23 PM

Watch out Suzy Kolber, my friend just saw Joe Namath stocking up on booze at a Winn Dixie.

EDIT: Was Joe Montana, my friend was initially confused. This makes more sense since Namath has no reason to be in New Orleans but Montana's son is starting for Tulane now. Damn ruined funny story.
  • SammyBirdland likes this

#45 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 12:41 AM

ESPN: Sources: Surgery likely for Sanchez

http://espn.go.com/n...-season-sources

Bring back Tebow?... (kidding)

@levineps

#46 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:51 AM

Rex Ryan may very well have ended Sanchez's career by trying to be competitive in the fourth quarter of a preseason game.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:56 AM

Rex Ryan may very well have ended Sanchez's career by trying to be competitive in the fourth quarter of a preseason game.

Ehh... it was just not delaying the inevitable is all. Sanchez ended his career by being Sanchez. He's just not good.

• Adam Wolff likes this

#48 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:06 AM

Sanchez will be a career backup from here on out, a Rex Grossman-ish type of guy that won some games as the weakest link on a team with an excellent defense and good run game. As a backup, you could do worse than having Sanchez. Hell, he's probably still better than anyone down here on the Jags.

@AdamWolff

#49 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:25 AM

I don't get why this is such a big story. It lead on Sportscenter, lead on NFL Network, and every website I go on it's on the main page. He's a backup QB on a team that hasn't been good for two years.

#50 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,226 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:28 AM

Remember 3 years ago when people were saying Sanchez was better than Flacco because he went to back-to-back AFC championships?

#51 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 September 2013 - 10:35 AM

Remember 3 years ago when people were saying Sanchez was better than Flacco because he went to back-to-back AFC championships?

Exhibit Z on why judging QB's based on team success is flawed.

#52 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:25 AM

I don't get why this is such a big story. It lead on Sportscenter, lead on NFL Network, and every website I go on it's on the main page. He's a backup QB on a team that hasn't been good for two years.

The NFL is king. It beats talking about a certain backup QB on daily basis. Atleast Sanchez has been to two AFC title games.

@levineps

#53 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:27 AM

Exhibit Z on why judging QB's based on team success is flawed.

It might be flawed, but we're always going to have the rings debate. If John Elway doesn't have those two rings at the end of his career, he looks much worse IMO.

@levineps

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

We'll many people do say Flacco is better than Matt Ryan because of the playoff success. How often do we hear with Matt Ryan,"he's only won one playoff game?"

@levineps

#55 KWebz

KWebz

Advanced Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 722 posts

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:40 AM

It's also the only game on today. It probably wouldn't be the top story if today were Sunday. But anyways...go Jets!

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

It might be flawed, but we're always going to have the rings debate. If John Elway doesn't have those two rings at the end of his career, he looks much worse IMO.

Like Dan Marino.

#57 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:43 AM

It's also the only game on today. It probably wouldn't be the top story if today were Sunday. But anyways...go Jets!

Jets fan? Thought you'd be an Eagles one.

I agree with your assessment if it's Sunday, it's not as big of a deal.

Regardless, "the Sanchize" is a personality, he plays in NYC, really shouldn't be shocking to anyone this is a big deal. Would I like ESPN to focus on the baseball pennant races more sure, but the NFL is a bigger product.

@levineps

#58 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:45 AM

Like Dan Marino.

Absolutely and it has it flaws don't get me wrong. Is Trent Dilfer a better QB than Dan Marino? Is Eli better than Peyton? I think it should be a factor, but not the only factor. The QB is a the most important position in major US team sports.

@levineps

#59 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,341 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:47 AM

Absolutely and it has it flaws don't get me wrong. Is Trent Dilfer a better QB than Dan Marino? Is Eli better than Peyton? I think it should be a factor, but not the only factor. The QB is a the most important position in major US team sports.

Yeah, it's a factor - but as you said, it's terribly flawed. The reason Eli Manning is Eli Manning, 2-time SB Champion, instead of, Eli Manning - Phillip Rivers, is because his daddy made him refuse to go to SD so he would wind up in a much better complimentary cast. Is that really the behavior that should be reinforced?

#60 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 September 2013 - 11:56 AM

Yeah, it's a factor - but as you said, it's terribly flawed. The reason Eli Manning is Eli Manning, 2-time SB Champion, instead of, Eli Manning - Phillip Rivers, is because his daddy made him refuse to go to SD so he would wind up in a much better complimentary cast. Is that really the behavior that should be reinforced?

That's a separate point, I don't think this kind of behavior has anything to do with the rings debate. I don't like it myself, he had some leverage he used it.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=