#21 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 30 April 2013 - 10:06 AM

Yeah, I've seen that as well. It could have just been posturing, as maybe they knew that the Jets knew they were the only possible team that a trade would work with, so just express no interest, force the Jets to cut him, and then give him a shot. Who knows. I do tend to think they honestly don't want him though.

At this point, I think he is the first person that the media(mostly ESPN) has forced out of the league because of the circus atmosphere he creates. This is one of those be careful what you wish for type deals -- when complaining your team doesn't get enough "respect." Without the media hype surrounding Tebow, I think some team might take a flyer on him, but they know now, just having him in camp is such a distraction.

I'm not sure I feel bad for Tebow because his "team" I don't think has done much to try to stop this and he's got some $$$ to fall back on.

@levineps

#22 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:10 PM

Prediction:  Tebow to the Patriots

i4UP92I.gif

ESPN:  Sources: Pats to sign Tim Tebow

• BSLChrisStoner, Adam Wolff, You Play to Win the Game and 1 other like this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#23 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:28 PM

i4UP92I.gif

Tom-Brady-frustrated.gif

• SammyBirdland likes this

#24 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 10 June 2013 - 07:30 PM

Tom-Brady-frustrated.gif

Caption:   "Ugg..."

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#25 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:03 PM

ESPN: muzupehy.jpg
  • Adam Wolff and SammyBirdland like this

#26 Markus

Markus

The Great Cornholio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,363 posts
  • LocationIn-N-Out Sucks, CA

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:11 PM

ESPN must be pitching the biggest tent in their pants today.
  • Adam Wolff likes this

Lemme get two claps and a Ric Flair

#27 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:34 PM

Everyone's going to have a lot of fun when the Patriots just pump him for information and release him next week.

I can absolutely see Belichek both signing Tebow and signing him just for that reason to screw with everyone, especially the Jets.

@DJ_McCann

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 29 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Sports on Earth: Mandatory Monday: Same Old Jets?
http://www.sportsone...ticle/55127060/

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:38 PM

Sports Illustrated: Jets believe Holmes may be milking injury
http://tracking.si.c...t2_a5&eref=sihp

#30 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 09:38 PM

Sports Illustrated: Jets believe Holmes may be milking injury
http://tracking.si.c...t2_a5&eref=sihp

Even if they really do think he's milking the injury, that's pretty amateurish to leak it to the press.  

The Jets are the Miami Marlins of the NFL.

¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 06:22 AM

Yahoo: Rex Ryan says he put Sanchez in because 'Jets were trying to win the game.'
http://sports.yahoo....-032659204.html

#32 SammyBirdland

SammyBirdland

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,019 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 02:02 PM

Yahoo: Rex Ryan says he put Sanchez in because 'Jets were trying to win the game.' http://sports.yahoo....-032659204.html

I hope Rex savors every moment of his last season as a head coach in the NFL.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
¡Hasta la vista, pelota!

#33 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,729 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:04 AM

Does he even make it until the end of the season?

#34 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Does he even make it until the end of the season?

I doubt it.
@BSLMikeRandall

#35 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:28 AM

Remember when our head coaching options were offensive genius Jason Garrett. Defensive genius Rex Ryan. Or some unknown special teams guy. It goes without saying I think we made the right choice.
@BSLMikeRandall

#36 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:39 AM

I don't get why people are on Rex for putting Sanchez in the game.

Sanchez and Smith are competing for the starting QB job.  Smith started and played much fo the game, as he is the guy they want to win the role.  Then you put Sanchez in to compete next.  He happened to get hurt.

How is this any different than how most teams with two QBs vying for the spot split up time?  Maybe most teams in the third preseason game would get the 2nd guy in during the 3rd quarter?

#37 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:47 AM

Putting in your potential starter with a bunch of third stringers

a)  doesn't really show you much vis a vis how he would play considering he's playing with a bunch of bums.  Flacco could very well look awful playing with third stringers and we'd never know what he was capable of.

b )  just asks for trouble sticking him behind a bunch of 3rd string lineman -- which is exactly what happened.

It was just a terrible decision.  Rex Ryan has clearly shown that he's not capable of the intricacies of being an NFL coach. 

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:12 AM

I think everyone knew that when the Jets faced adversity, that Rex was going to be eaten alive by the NY media.

What should scare people away from hiring him as a HC somewhere else, is how often Ryan makes himself the distraction.

Agree with Pedro about the rationale of this decision. Just a poor move imo.

#39 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:07 AM

Putting in your potential starter with a bunch of third stringers

a)  doesn't really show you much vis a vis how he would play considering he's playing with a bunch of bums.  Flacco could very well look awful playing with third stringers and we'd never know what he was capable of.

b )  just asks for trouble sticking him behind a bunch of 3rd string lineman -- which is exactly what happened.

It was just a terrible decision.  Rex Ryan has clearly shown that he's not capable of the intricacies of being an NFL coach. 

So when should he have played?  2nd quarter, or roughly half of what the starters played?  That certainly has merit, but then you aren't getting a very long look at Smith who is also competing for the spot but you don't have as much information on.

It's not like the 3rd string lineman were being asked to block DeMarcus Ware.  It's 3rd string defenders as well.  I think the criticism is largely hindsight, though obviously I've got no idea if Jets fans were saying it was a stupid, useless decision as soon as he came in.

The "playing to win the game" part of his defense is obvious coach-speak.  But I think there was genuine need to play Sanchez in the preseason.

Also, is it really a terrible outcome for the Jets for Sanchez getting hurt?  He's no better than Smith really.  The two are competing for the spot.  It's not like Rex just through his meal ticket to the wolves in the 4th quarter of a preseason game.

#40 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:51 AM

Many of us called this. He's a hell of a motivator and a good defensive coach but  he had some big flaws that would eventually doom him, especially in New York.

When things are going well Rex's schtick plays well. I think he did a good job of going into New York and giving that team, in particular the defense, some swag. We knew from his time in BMore and how much the def players loved playing for him that he could motivate at least half a locker room and get the max out of them.

At the same time,  we knew that the guy could cause distractions and was unable to reel in his players when needed.  The whole circus up in New York the last few years is even more proof to me that he was the biggest reason Billick was fired. I think Rex was behind the players turning on Billick. I don't think he necessarily went to his players and told them to badmouth Billick but I think he divided the lockeroom. Was the biggest culprit of the defense vs offense mentality and why the defensive players were the alpha dogs. I'm convinced the players thought Rex would get the HC job if they made a play on Billick.

So, now here we are 2 years after the 2 AFC Champ appearances and Rex can't get out of his own way. The same thing that makes him good at times is going to kill him. His ego and lack of  institutional control.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=