http://www.sportsone...ticle/63307056/

#62 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:10 PM

Just having a little fun looking at opponent's records and treating winning percentage as winning probability:

http://observational...at-16-0-or.html

Are the Chiefs as good as the Jaguars are bad? And are the Buccaneers worse off than Jacksonville?

@pjd0014
I'm trying to be better about sharing code for reuse: Github

#63 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 October 2013 - 11:30 PM

Just in theory, not taking into account strength of scheduling -- I think it's harder to go 16-0 than it is go winless. Given the parity in the NFL, either one is difficult. I just think it's easier win a single game than be at the top of your game(or close to it) week in/out.

Now with the comparison at hand -- I'd be surprised if KC didn't lose to Denver or even Indy at home. On top of that, that last week (@SD) might be meaningless. Basically, I think they'll lose atleast one of those 4 games. And despite their easy schedule, there's the "Any given Sunday" mentality in the other games. I'd say Jacksonville (as well as TB) manages to win a game because going winless is so hard, but this team wouldn't surprise me if they went winless.

@levineps

#64 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 26 October 2013 - 07:50 AM

Just in theory, not taking into account strength of scheduling -- I think it's harder to go 16-0 than it is go winless. Given the parity in the NFL, either one is difficult. I just think it's easier win a single game than be at the top of your game(or close to it) week in/out.

Now with the comparison at hand -- I'd be surprised if KC didn't lose to Denver or even Indy at home. On top of that, that last week (@SD) might be meaningless. Basically, I think they'll lose atleast one of those 4 games. And despite their easy schedule, there's the "Any given Sunday" mentality in the other games. I'd say Jacksonville (as well as TB) manages to win a game because going winless is so hard, but this team wouldn't surprise me if they went winless.

I agree, I think 16 wins is much more difficult than 16 losses. I fully expect KC to lose 4 games before the end of the season, but I think it's very possible that we see two 0-16 teams this year. I also didn't account for the magnitude of losses, which is pretty telling as far as how awful a team is, and an area that I think JAX and TB would show even more poorly in.
@pjd0014

#65 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 27 October 2013 - 01:59 PM

KC will not go 16-0 so I'd go with Jacksonville.

#66 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:27 AM

KC will not go 16-0 so I'd go with Jacksonville.

What about Jax and Tampa Bay?

@pjd0014

#67 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 11:30 AM

Jacksonville.

TB will fire Schiano and the players will start giving some effort down the stretch and they'll get a couple wins or so.

Jacksonville I think is pretty close to an even money bet to go winless at this point.

#68 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 01:34 PM

Tampa Bay has enough talent that they will at least win 1 or 2 games regardless of if they fire Schiano or not.

#69 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Jacksonville.

TB will fire Schiano and the players will start giving some effort down the stretch and they'll get a couple wins or so.

Jacksonville I think is pretty close to an even money bet to go winless at this point.

Tampa Bay has enough talent that they will at least win 1 or 2 games regardless of if they fire Schiano or not.

I thought so too, but Tampa has a much more difficult schedule for the rest of the year, no running back (at least for a little while), a backup QB, MRSA, and Greg Schiano. A midseason firing might help, but the only real break they have on their schedule is St. Louis. It's shocking that they're so bad with Vincent Jackson and Darelle Revis holding down two skill positions though.

For the record, I also think Jacksonville is more likely to go 0-16 because, despite an "easier" schedule than TB, they face a consistently average level and have proven themselves to be well below average. TB faces a lot of good teams and then one or two that they could beat, especially with Sam Bradford injured.

@pjd0014

#70 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:04 PM

I thought so too, but Tampa has a much more difficult schedule for the rest of the year, no running back (at least for a little while), a backup QB, MRSA, and Greg Schiano. A midseason firing might help, but the only real break they have on their schedule is St. Louis. It's shocking that they're so bad with Vincent Jackson and Darelle Revis holding down two skill positions though.

For the record, I also think Jacksonville is more likely to go 0-16 because, despite an "easier" schedule than TB, they face a consistently average level and have proven themselves to be well below average. TB faces a lot of good teams and then one or two that they could beat, especially with Sam Bradford injured.

Yeah, the Rams game is the main reason I think they win at least one game. I don't think  they will be too heavy of an underdog against Buffalo or Atlanta either. The Atlanta game is at home too.

#71 PatrickDougherty

PatrickDougherty

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,204 posts

Posted 28 October 2013 - 03:57 PM

Yeah, the Rams game is the main reason I think they win at least one game. I don't think  they will be too heavy of an underdog against Buffalo or Atlanta either. The Atlanta game is at home too.

Buffalo especially looks like they have the ability to have an absolute clunker of a game

@pjd0014

#72 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 10 November 2013 - 04:16 PM

One team down, does Tampa win tomorrow?

@levineps

#73 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 11 November 2013 - 11:40 PM

Now with Tampa Bay winning, it shows you just how hard it is to have a winless season.

@levineps

#74 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 11:23 AM

After losing to the Colts, the Chiefs have lost 4 of their last 6 (blowout wins over Washington and Oakland).

Don't have seeding to play for at SD Sunday, but hopefully for the Ravens they will want to play better after the loss yesterday.

#75 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 31 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

Jovan Belcher’s mother sues the Chiefs (Pro Football Talk)

@levineps

#76 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 08:17 AM

Sports Illustrated: Off-season report card

http://nfl.si.com/20...on-report-card/

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner