Photo

2012 MLB Draft

• Please log in to reply
229 replies to this topic

Poll: Overall, how would you grade the O's draft? (11 member(s) have cast votes)

Overall, how would you grade the O's draft?

1. B (9 votes [81.82%])

Percentage of vote: 81.82%

2. A (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. C (2 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

4. D (0 votes [0.00%])

5. F (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#201 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:18 PM

There is no doubt that you should be the team's negotiator. I believe you had a take it leave it offer for Manny Machado that would have saved us a ton of money also. :D

HS kids have a little more leverage....But we don't know what he would have really taken if you played hard ball with him.

He was drafted third overall and signed a very reaosnable deal, right? In any event, his commitment was to Florida Atlantic, so he's much better off having signed now. He could have Enrolled in JuCo or transfered to a bigger conference team, but history tells us those situations don't usually end well, and probably for good reason.
@NickJFaleris

#202 RVAbird

RVAbird
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

Tough to grade before we see how the bonuses are fleshed out. First instinct based on strategy/targets is a solid B. I give the Gausman pick an A. He was my target. Rounds 2-10 get a C from me. I'm quite satisfied with most of the picks in rounds 3-10, but I am not a fan of Kline in the second round. I would have targeted a higher upside player like Rahier at 65 and gone with the college relief arms and bats (I liked the Walker pick in the 4th and thought Price was a solid value/safety pick in the 7th) after that. If you think Guasman will sign for <4 MM then you can likely fit in Rahier without any problems. I doubt Gausman requires an over-slot bonus, but if he does you can probably get several of those college picks to sign below slot without much of a problem. All in all, a decent draft. If the class were a bit deeper or more stacked at the top things would have a been a little more interesting, but I can't complain much.
  • Greg Pappas likes this
@TenthInning

#203 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:51 PM

I -so far- am the only "C". I think if there had been more levels, some may have went with B-, so my views may not be that different overall. I like Gausman, but am disappointed with Kline in R2. I'm unsure about Marin, liked the Walker and Price picks, but was "ehhh" on the rest.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#204 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:10 PM

Got a text that zimmer was almost done and it would be around 3.4, so 3.5 def not enough. Looks like RZ may have better read than me. Hopefully the money id save on senior signs would serve as a buffer, but /ight be tough to sign buttrey at this point.

3.5M recommended max slot for KC's pick. I'd certainly be suprised if Gausman signed for 3.5M or even 3.8M unless the O's had a pre-draft agreement with him that we haven't hear about yet.

#205 RVAbird

RVAbird
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:13 PM

I -so far- am the only "C". I think if there had been more levels, some may have went with B-, so my views may not be that different overall. I like Gausman, but am disappointed with Kline in R2. I'm unsure about Marin, liked the Walker and Price picks, but was "ehhh" on the rest.

Not a bad assessment, and I don't think we're far off from each other. I think I probably liked Gausman a bit more than you. I know you were high on Correa. Would you have gone Almora at 1:4 over Gausman?

I am also unsure about Marin. I obviously have not scouted him personally so I am only going off of tape and second hand reports. He seems like an intriguing project, but comes with question marks and might require an over-slot bonus to get him away from college. I would have gone for Rahier in rd. 2 and forsaken Marin for a signable college relief arm. I'm fine with picks 4-10.
@TenthInning

#206 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:31 PM

Not a bad assessment, and I don't think we're far off from each other. I think I probably liked Gausman a bit more than you. I know you were high on Correa. Would you have gone Almora at 1:4 over Gausman?

I am also unsure about Marin. I obviously have not scouted him personally so I am only going off of tape and second hand reports. He seems like an intriguing project, but comes with question marks and might require an over-slot bonus to get him away from college. I would have gone for Rahier in rd. 2 and forsaken Marin for a signable college relief arm. I'm fine with picks 4-10.

Yes, Almora, but since I ranked the top three as Correa, Almora and then Gausman, getting Gausman makes me happy. I agree whole-heartedly with you about Rahier... but hopefully Kline turns out to be a great pick.

#207 Stotle

Stotle

2080 Baseball

• Members
  • Pip
  • 529 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 09:51 PM

Got a text that zimmer was almost done and it would be around 3.4, so 3.5 def not enough. Looks like RZ may have better read than me. Hopefully the money id save on senior signs would serve as a buffer, but /ight be tough to sign buttrey at this point.

3.5M recommended max slot for KC's pick. I'd certainly be suprised if Gausman signed for 3.5M or even 3.8M unless the O's had a pre-draft agreement with him that we haven't hear about yet.

Apparently Zimmer is signing for closer to $3 MM and Zunino's "talks" were around the "can we work a deal around $4.2", and Seattle drafted him (he won't sign until Florida is done). Correa is signing for $2 MM below slot. I don't think it would be crazy to expect Baltimore will get some savings on Gausman. That said, Almora looks to be signing for more than Zimmer, so who really knows.
@NickJFaleris

#208 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:46 PM

Yeah, it is a little more complicated this year. Gotta think the Astros were in the best position to get the best bang for the buck. Might have told Correa and his agent that if he didn't sign for the 4.8, he probably wouldn't get picked until #3 (Seattle 5.2M) or #4 (O's 4.2M) at the earliest. Made sense to take a 4.8M sure thing than gamble on a lower slot cap. As for Zimmer, not sure but 3M makes your figures on Gausman look more realistic for sure. Again, with a deal so fast, kind of wonder if Zimmer was presented with a guarantee of 3M by the Royals verses a possible slide to a lower slot cap. We shall see.

#209 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:39 AM

http://www.mlbtrader... ... immer.html

3 million for Zimmer. Gausman will slot in between 3.5-3.8 IMO.

#210 Woody Ball

Woody Ball
  • Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 03:52 PM

As I think more about this, I think my grade will changed up or down based on what we do after the 10th round. There are a few overslot possibilities in there. If we can save on Gausman and Kline, maybe even Poche, we might be able to nab a couple of them.

I might prefer something like Kline and Valazquez to Rahier and some filler.

#211 Nuclear Dish

Nuclear Dish

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationZichron Yaakov, Israel

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:59 AM

I'm the one who's with you as the other C grade. And I'm completely with you on the possibility of it being a C+ or B- draft.

Kline also disappointed me. I like Marin a lot, but he's got a long way to go. I like the Walker pick a lot, but if we get 1-2 serviceable major leaguers from the Round 2-5 picks, we'll be fortunate.

"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax..."

-Walter Sobchak

#212 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 07 June 2014 - 01:52 PM

CSN WashingtonNats take Cal Ripken’s son Ryan in 15th round of MLB Draft

Indian River State College (Fla.) first baseman Ryan Ripken, son of Hall of Famer Cal Ripken, Jr., was taken by Washington with the 454th overall pick. The 6-foot-6 left-handed hitter batted .321 in 41 games last season.

@levineps

#213 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:12 AM

The MLB should just adopt the NFL draft model. Have 7 rounds, then call it a day. It's a joke after that.

A team drafted Johnny Manziel. If im the Padres scouting director and I put all this work into scouting guys, and they say "efff it. Manziel for S*** and giggles." I would ask. " why the hell am I here?" I cant take the
MLB draft seriously until they condense it a lot and allow draft pick trading.

What a waste of time and effort.
@BSLMikeRandall

#214 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:26 AM

The MLB should just adopt the NFL draft model. Have 7 rounds, then call it a day. It's a joke after that.

A team drafted Johnny Manziel. If im the Padres scouting director and I put all this work into scouting guys, and they say "efff it. Manziel for S*** and giggles." I would ask. " why the hell am I here?" I cant take the

No minor league system in the NFL -- they had 50 rounds until recently and Piazza was drafted in the 62nd round. They draft plenty of people just for roster filler (you need to have full minor league teams). Could they go down more rounds I suppose, but not that few. In addition, you have to draft more players because there's plenty of players who will go to college, JUCO players who will go back to school, and some sophomores/juniors who will go back.

Now with the nepotism (Ryan Ripken)/ceremonial (Johnny Manziel), I wish teams would just wait til the end of the draft to waste those picks.

@levineps

#215 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:38 AM

No minor league system in the NFL -- they had 50 rounds until recently and Piazza was drafted in the 62nd round. They draft plenty of people just for roster filler (you need to have full minor league teams). Could they go down more rounds I suppose, but not that few. In addition, you have to draft more players because there's plenty of players who will go to college, JUCO players who will go back to school, and some sophomores/juniors who will go back.

Now with the nepotism (Ryan Ripken)/ceremonial (Johnny Manziel), I wish teams would just wait til the end of the draft to waste those picks.

Why cant they have 5 rounds of real players and the rest like the Jerry Rice Jr's, just an undrafted signing barrage? That would save these people a ton of headaches. Instead..."hey this guy is legit. Ive seen him play tons of games, watch hours of tape, and he's the real deal." "Hmmmm.....were going to draft Ryan Flahertys unborn son instead. Thanks anyway."
@BSLMikeRandall

#216 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 12:47 AM

Why cant they have 5 rounds of real players and the rest like the Jerry Rice Jr's, just an undrafted signing barrage? That would save these people a ton of headaches. Instead..."hey this guy is legit. Ive seen him play tons of games, watch hours of tape, and he's the real deal." "Hmmmm.....were going to draft Ryan Flahertys unborn son instead. Thanks anyway."

5 rounds is too few. The nepotism/ceremonial picks don't begin until the 15th round and usually even the 20th round. The first two days are all real picks.

And the draft is an equalizer of sorts. The Royals still have to fill out their roster. They won't be able to beat out the Yankees for the best "B players." All things being equal, the Royals are offering you $100k, the Yankees are offering you $100k, which one are you taking? 

@levineps

#217 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:13 AM

Now were just talking semantics. Fine two days. However many rounds that is. But at the point where the Rockies are taking Peyton Manning Jr. And the Marlins are taking LeBron James' brother, and even my phone is ringing, enough is enough.

Who cares if the Astros or Yankees want to sign Willie Mays III? He wont ever make the majors and minor league ball is pointless except for the trying to get better to earn a call up part. For every Mike Piazza there's a billion joe schmose who never get out of Bluefield.

The Yankees could buy all the B players they want and win every A ball title and no one would care because those guys will never see a major league diamond.
@BSLMikeRandall

#218 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:23 AM

Now were just talking semantics. Fine two days. However many rounds that is. But at the point where the Rockies are taking Peyton Manning Jr. And the Marlins are taking LeBron James' brother, and even my phone is ringing, enough is enough.

Who cares if the Astros or Yankees want to sign Willie Mays III? He wont ever make the majors and minor league ball is pointless except for the trying to get better to earn a call up part. For every Mike Piazza there's a billion joe schmose who never get out of Bluefield.

The Yankees could buy all the B players they want and win every A ball title and no one would care because those guys will never see a major league diamond.

I don't know how many rounds -- however many it takes to fill an organization (the purpose of the draft) while taking into account a certain amount of players won't sign. Remember in the NFL/NBA, players can't to college, so they have less leverage. More than 10 rounds however (and that's two days). If I had to say probably 30. Like I said they've already dramatically reduced the draft as it is. Didn't the Seahawks draft a paralyzed player in the last round?

I don't see the problem with 40 rounds. The thing is different organizations have different needs. Some organizations will be more active in the international market, some will be losing minor league depth (there's limits to how long players can play in these leagues as well as getting exposed to the rule 5 draft) I'd air on the side of too many than too few.

I didn't mean to insinuate we should have longer drafts because of the clear exceptions to the rule like Mike Piazza. My argument is about filling out the minor league roster.

And yeah, I would like to see an elimination of the bogus picks but don't see that happening.

@levineps

#219 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 08 June 2014 - 01:48 AM

I get that teams need to fill minor league rosters. But when the Padres are selecting Johnny Manziel...the draft should be long over. There isnt an ice cubes chance in hell Manziel is riding the bus leagues.
@BSLMikeRandall

#220 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 June 2014 - 02:11 AM

I get that teams need to fill minor league rosters. But when the Padres are selecting Johnny Manziel...the draft should be long over. There isnt an ice cubes chance in hell Manziel is riding the bus leagues.

I get what you are saying, and I don't think the Padres should be using that draft pick here, but other teams are filling needs with that pick.

@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=