• Please log in to reply
95 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:34 AM

No matter how nice the weather is April 6th for Opening Day, I'm expecting an overly chilly reception for Kevin Gregg when he is announced to the crowd and runs down the Orange Carpet.

There are few O's players I can recall, that have been as loathed as Gregg. The results are of part of that distaste, but it was really Gregg's style of pitching that drove Baltimore fans nuts last year. In a game built on failure, you can not expect perfection from anyone. What you can demand from professionals, is that they allow the opposition to beat them, instead of doing things to beat themselves.

It is not like Gregg lacks stuff (amazing to see him generate the velocity he does, with his mechanics), he just refuses to spend much time over the heart of the plate. This works well enough when hitters expand their zone, but when hitters are patient, he puts himself into trouble with walks.

2012 will be the second year of his 2 yr $10M deal. There is a $6M option for '13. 2013 option guaranteed with 50 GF in 2012 or 100 GF in 2011-12.

Let us take a look at some of his stats for the four most recent seasons.

2008: 72 games, 68.2 ip, 51 hits, 3 hr’s, 37 bb’s, 58 k’s, .203 baa, .585 OPS, 0.88 G/F, 3.41 ERA, 4.54 xFIP
2009: 72 games, 68.2 ip, 60 hits, 13 hr’s, 30 bb’s, 70 k’s, .229 baa, .740 OPS, 0.64 G/F, 4.72 ERA, 4.10 xFIP
2010: 63 games, 59 ip, 52 hits, 4 hr's, 30 bb’s, 58 k’s, .237 baa, .712 OPS, 0.76 G/F, 3.51 ERA, 4.05 xFIP
2011: 63 games, 59.2 ip, 58 hits, 7 hr's, 40 bb's, 53 k's, .254 baa, .773 OPS, 0.78 G/F, 4.37 ERA, 4.86 xFIP

We know relievers can be volatile year-to-year, but there is a fair amount of consistency in these results. He is typically durable, allows a hit or less per IP, with too many walks, and a decent amount of k's.

In '11, his walk rate was considerably higher than the previous 3 seasons. (He was also easier to hit.) His general philosophy of pitching around hitters was brutal to watch. The few times he was willing to attack hitters over the plate with his 92.1 mph avg fastball, he had better results.

How do you expect Gregg to be used? How should Showalter use him? It seems clear that this year, Johnson will begin the year as the Closer. EDIT: The newly acquired Lindstrom will likely be the 8th inning guy. Gregg is going to have to perform in the limited spots he gets, to be used in higher leverage opportunities.

Going off the field for a second, I appreciated that several of the O's pitchers talked about Gregg providing some mentoring. I also appreciated that after each of his 7 blown saves, he was willing to answer all questions from the media professionally. One thing that really bothered me last year though, was Gregg saying that as a 'Closer' he could not effectively pitch in non-save situations because of a lack of adrenaline. That is just not acceptable.

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:59 AM

Whatever he does, there is absolutely no way we can allow him the chance to have his option kick in.

I expect him to be a below average reliever, like he's pretty much always been.

#3 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:09 AM

Gregg's various comments to the media have done as much to sour me on him as his pitching has.

I hope the O's give him enough "safe" save chances that they can incite a team to take him at the deadline to help the O's get a bit of salary relief.

Under no circumstances short of a playoff berth should Gregg be put in position for his option to vest.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#4 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 February 2012 - 11:37 AM

He is so awful.

Such a moronic signing from day 1.

Best case is that he does enough early on that we can trade him, eat most of the contract and get back something of value.

By July, he shouldn't be an Oriole, one way or another.

#5 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 09 February 2012 - 02:52 PM

The way I see it now, Gregg probably is getting work in the 7th and 8th innings.

I see the bullpen as currently:

Closer/backend
Jim Johnson
Matt Lindstrom

7th Inning/Set-up
Pedro Strop
Kevin Gregg

MRP/LRP
Troy Patton
Alfredo Simon
Darren O'day

LRP
Eveland, Bergesen, Hunter, whoever it is

Gregg is the most consistent RP we have honestly. That is not a good thing though, as his consistency is average at best. Usually a good bullpen has a few guys with Gregg's peripheral's in MRP, and the top tier guys with better peripherals at the top (like how mine is placed). Gregg is a good pitcher to have in a bullpen, but not at his price and his level of play. I actually like Gregg as a person, he has the fire I want from any player I root for.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:15 PM

Tucker is absolutely correct, I totally banked on Lindstrom, but he will clearly be the 8th inning guy.

#7 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:08 PM

Whatever he does, there is absolutely no way we can allow him the chance to have his option kick in.

I expect him to be a below average reliever, like he's pretty much always been.

This.

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

It is the first outing of ST, and means nothing but the HR Gregg just allowed is a reminder of why it will be hard to have him on the roster.

Starting with when he is announced on Opening Day he is going to be crushed by the fans. Unless he gets off to a strong start, he is going to be under a lot of scrutiny. If he is not happy about not being 'handed' the closing job, it might be best for all involved if the O's pay enough on his contract to move him somewhere before ST ends.

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:53 PM

It is the first outing of ST, and means nothing but the HR Gregg just allowed is a reminder of why it will be hard to have him on the roster.

Starting with when he is announced on Opening Day he is going to be crushed by the fans. Unless he gets off to a strong start, he is going to be under a lot of scrutiny. If he is not happy about not being 'handed' the closing job, it might be best for all involved if the O's pay enough on his contract to move him somewhere before ST ends.

Yea, I liked how they talked about how he isn't happy about not being the closer.

LOL...Perhaps, if you didn't SUCK, you would have the job.

Of course, part of me would prefer him to have the job and see if he can do it and then trade him.

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:59 PM

Yea, I liked how they talked about how he isn't happy about not being the closer.

LOL...Perhaps, if you didn't SUCK, you would have the job.

Of course, part of me would prefer him to have the job and see if he can do it and then trade him.

I think Gregg is past the point of no return in terms of being able to regain any legitimate trade value. Even if he put together a few good months, I doubt teams would be dumb enough to give us anything of value for him. Not even anything close to a Koji'esque deal, IMO.

I'm with Chris in that I'd love to cut bait. At the same time, it depends. We're going to pay most of his salary either way, so if he can be quasi productive, even as a middle reliever, we might as well hold on to him. That is, of course, unless other arms are out performing Gregg, which could be quite possible this season. The other factor is if he's pouting in the clubhouse. He has no right to be a cancer.

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 11:48 PM

It seems we are stuck with him for awhile. Maybe I'm wrong but I don;t see Angelos completely eating the salary to move him at this point and I can;t believe he has any value where any team is going to take on any of the contract themselves. However, if he doesn;t pitch well enough to move him as the year progresses I do see a scenario where we just release him at some point.

#12 BmoreBirdsPR

BmoreBirdsPR
  • Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 08:57 AM

Is there a team that would want him, even if he comes cheap? I hope only to see Gregg in mop up duty.
@BmoreBirdsPR

#13 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:26 AM

Is there a team that would want him, even if he comes cheap? I hope only to see Gregg in mop up duty.

The Yankees found a team to take AJ Burnett off their hands. Anything is possible.

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

I don't think Reynolds would have thrown out Revere there anyway.

One small thing about tonight was Buck not choosing Gregg to finish the game...With his finished games clause out there for this season(which would trigger his option year), I don't want to see him out there in those situations early in the season.

Okay, this is where I look like a fool for not being glued to the interwebs for every nook and crannie of this off-season - I was a little bummed about the GM search fiasco, and the lack of any trades for our LT future, etc.

Anywho, what is this clause you speak of? How many games does Gregg have to finish to active his option?

Thanks, and sorry for the ignorance.

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 08 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

Okay, this is where I look like a fool for not being glued to the interwebs for every nook and crannie of this off-season - I was a little bummed about the GM search fiasco, and the lack of any trades for our LT future, etc.

Anywho, what is this clause you speak of? How many games does Gregg have to finish to active his option?

Thanks, and sorry for the ignorance.

No reason to feel foolish. There is a $6M option for '13. 2013 option guaranteed with 50 GF in 2012 or 100 GF in 2011-12.
I can not imagine a scenario where he will come close to that.

#16 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

No reason to feel foolish. There is a $6M option for '13. 2013 option guaranteed with 50 GF in 2012 or 100 GF in 2011-12.
I can not imagine a scenario where he will come close to that.

Thanks, Chris. I agree, 50 GF is a lot, and I highly doubt that happens, which is great.

#17 Zwolfe0

Zwolfe0

Zack W.

• Members
  • 135 posts
  • LocationOwings Mills

Posted 11 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

It could have gone either way with Gregg and I feel bad about his opening day reception. He had all the components to becoming a cult hero with the goggles and the fight with Big Poppy. His attitude, in my opinion, has always been good and he wants to win. However, he just doesn't have it anymore and he probably never will get it back.
There's nothing that cleanses your soul like getting the hell kicked out of you. - Woody Hayes

#18 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:33 AM

Gregg was solid last night. They asked him to pitch too long IMO.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:40 AM

Gregg was solid last night. They asked him to pitch too long IMO.

I agree, he looked really good in the 9th and he was solid in the 10th up until a terrible meatball to Swisher. Tex' double was really just a well-placed bloop.

I still can't stand the guy, but he was pitching pretty well last night up until the bomb, which obviously was much deeper into an appearance than he usually gets.

#20 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 06:49 AM

MLB.com / Ghiroli: Showalter: Gregg will be better
http://brittghiroli....will-be-better/

I respect Showalter for standing behind his player. If Gregg was going off the roster in the immediate future, it seems to me that Showalter might have less to say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=