Posted 19 December 2012 - 07:58 AM

MASN: Hobgood continues to receive good news about his shoulder
http://www.masnsport...s-shoulder.html

#2 Mr. Oriole

Mr. Oriole
  • Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:21 AM

... But I don't want to go to extended spring training.

Is it just me, or does this quote rub everyone else the wrong way? Kids these days.

#3 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Is it just me, or does this quote rub everyone else the wrong way? Kids these days.

Depends on the context. Going to XST is not moving his development forward at all, it's just getting him healthy. I don't blame him in that sense that he's not helping anyone out if he's still getting healthy. If he's back and can attempt to show what he can really do or build trade value he actually helps the team.
@JeremyMStrain

#4 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

What is he supposed to say? "I'd much rather be injured and rehabbing than playing with a team"...

Joe Jordan should have to pay the Orioles reparations for that pick. What an utterly indefensible pick. Totally negates any other good picks he made while here, IMO.

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:16 AM

What is he supposed to say? "I'd much rather be injured and rehabbing than playing with a team"...

Joe Jordan should have to pay the Orioles reparations for that pick. What an utterly indefensible pick. Totally negates any other good picks he made while here, IMO.

Agreed. Granted, I don't pretend to know much on the amateur side, but I think most people knew that was an awful pick... yet I got blasted for saying that at the time.

#6 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

Agree completely. I remember I was at a light getting off 495 listening on the radio when they announced the pick and I starting yelling not so nice words when I heard it announced.

Who knows, maybe everything we saw was result of injury and he comes back now and turns into a real prospect, it's not out of the realm of possibilities, but not the way I would have gone (not that my pick has done much better, but still).
@JeremyMStrain

#7 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:22 AM

Agreed. Granted, I don't pretend to know much on the amateur side, but I think most people knew that was an awful pick... yet I got blasted for saying that at the time.

It's just at the time he was like a 10-pick overdraft, it wasn't a HUGE stretch, but people weren't happy that it was obviously money related and they tried to act like it wasn't.

Other people who don't follow this stuff at all were throwing tantrums because it wasn't one of the names they had heard in the media and expected, but they knew nothing about the kid. You really don't know on any of these guys for a couple years, especially if they are rated within 10-15 picks of each other.

I wanted Matzek, so things haven't worked out too great there either. You just never know.
@JeremyMStrain

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:23 AM

Wasn't the popular excuse at the time the idea that we saved money on his signing that we were abel to allot to overslots? Yet, when you review that draft class, there really aren't any really good prospects to be found.

http://baltimore.ori... ... &year=2009

#9 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Wasn't the popular excuse at the time the idea that we saved money on his signing that we were abel to allot to overslots? Yet, when you review that draft class, there really aren't any really good prospects to be found.

Yeah the real #FAIL of the draft was that the overslots they did spend money on were pretty bad. They went for all these guys coming off injuries, who just had more injuries, and guys that dropped for whatever reason, and none of them look very good. I didn't like the draft as a whole at all that year.
@JeremyMStrain

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:34 AM

Other people who don't follow this stuff at all were throwing tantrums because it wasn't one of the names they had heard in the media and expected, but they knew nothing about the kid. You really don't know on any of these guys for a couple years, especially if they are rated within 10-15 picks of each other.

I wanted Matzek, so things haven't worked out too great there either. You just never know.

I hear ya on this. I don't throw tantrums unless I know a little bit about what I'm talking about. I read a bit about the guys in the area where we are picking every year just to have a general feel and idea about things.

I, too, would have been very happy with Matzek. Funny that the conversation would be different if we had selected Matzek... rather than it being an "awful pick", it'd be the traditional... "Player Development system fails us again with a pitching prospect." :lol:

#11 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 09:51 AM

I hear ya on this. I don't throw tantrums unless I know a little bit about what I'm talking about. I read a bit about the guys in the area where we are picking every year just to have a general feel and idea about things.

I, too, would have been very happy with Matzek. Funny that the conversation would be different if we had selected Matzek... rather than it being an "awful pick", it'd be the traditional... "Player Development system fails us again with a pitching prospect." :lol:

Yeah I mean I wasn't wrong when I called him Matusz the sequel. Control is always going to be the lynchpin in guys like that where their secondaries are their best pitches. With it not improving enough, he's getting hit around. Just sucks cause there was some really raw talent there.

COL's system isn't much better than ours development wise ;)
@JeremyMStrain

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:52 AM

It really did not bother me. I took it that the kid wants to play baseball and wants to compete.
He has been down a year and a half. he is a 22 year old who wants to pitch.
My hope is that his problems have been injuries, but I am not sure. This has always been a tough pick to rationalize but that is not his fault.
@mikeghg

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 10:59 AM

I was a tossup between Matzek and Wheeler in terms of what I preferred, if I remember correctly. Matzek's been a bust, but Wheeler has been quite good. The top of that draft isn't really chock full of a lot of guys who still look like good picks (aside from #1, obviously), but at least had they gone another direction they would have been betting on the talent of a guy, rather than settling for a mid- to late-first round grade guy who would sign for cheap.

#14 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

I've talked to a few about Hobgood and he has really taken the time to get in shape this offseason.

He's in much better shape, has a lot more drive, and the reason he does not want to be in extended is because he wants to prove he is much further along than that. Don't read too much into a simple quote honestly.

He's a good kid, needs some pushing, but it's still too early to write him off. Guidance is sometimes all a player needs, and Hobgood has a cast around him that is genuinely great people. Let's hope this all helps to bring him back to relevance on the diamond.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#15 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:01 PM

I've talked to a few about Hobgood and he has really taken the time to get in shape this offseason.

He's in much better shape, has a lot more drive, and the reason he does not want to be in extended is because he wants to prove he is much further along than that. Don't read too much into a simple quote honestly.

He's a good kid, needs some pushing, but it's still too early to write him off. Guidance is sometimes all a player needs, and Hobgood has a cast around him that is genuinely great people. Let's hope this all helps to bring him back to relevance on the diamond.

My sleeper picks for this season are Birdwell and Hobgood actually. I like who they have been spending their offseason and training with.
@JeremyMStrain

#16 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 19 December 2012 - 01:11 PM

My sleeper picks for this season are Birdwell and Hobgood actually. I like who they have been spending their offseason and training with.

Yup, they couldn't have picked anyone better honestly.

For anyone that doesn't know, they are training with the Bundy brothers and their father.

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,009 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 08:35 AM

MASN: A healthy Hobgood returns to the mound at camp but will begin 2013 in a bullpen role
http://www.masnsport...lakes-park.html

#18 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 01:56 PM

That was just an excuse made up by the fans who refused to admit the O's could do wrong. There were good arms who signed for around the same as Hobgood.

#19 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:12 PM

That was just an excuse made up by the fans who refused to admit the O's could do wrong. There were good arms who signed for around the same as Hobgood.

No, it was a genuine strategy with terrible execution. The extra money was spent on risky JUCO players and bad injury risks, and guys that just weren't great prospects overall.

There's a difference in spending on an AJ Cole in the 3rd versus spending on a Cam Coffey later.
@JeremyMStrain

#20 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 27 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

No, it was a genuine strategy with terrible execution. The extra money was spent on risky JUCO players and bad injury risks, and guys that just weren't great prospects overall.

There's a difference in spending on an AJ Cole in the 3rd versus spending on a Cam Coffey later.

Top 10 in '09

1 Nats Stephen Strasburg RHP $7,500,000

2 Mariners Dustin Ackley OF $6,000,000

3 Padres Donavan Tate OF $6,250,000

4 Pirates Tony Sanchez C $2,500,000

5 Orioles Matt Hobgood RHP $2,422,000

6 Giants Zack Wheeler RHP $3,300,000

7 Braves Mike Minor LHP $2,420,000

8 Reds Mike Leake RHP $2,270,000

9 Tigers Jacob Turner RHP $4,700,000

Drew Storen did not sign.

Recommended slot for the #5 pick was $2,520,000. So the O's pretty much paid slot for Hobgood and his money at 5 was pretty much in line with picks #4-9.

http://www.mymlbdraf... ... es/170809/

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=