#41 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:39 PM

What? No Gausman?

Wtf is Gausman even doing up here if he isn't pitching?

Meh. Yeah, he shouldn't be up here as a RP but at the same time he hasn't earned another start up here either. He'll be sent back as soon as Stevie Johnson or Chen are ready to come back.

#42 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

Yeah. McFarland against the Yankees. In Buck we trust? We'll see. Gausman should stay in the pen as well. I think rookies should get their feet wet there first, study ML hitters, pitch in low pressure situations. Tampa Bay still does this and their staff is usually one of the best.
@BSLMikeRandall

#43 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:41 PM

You know he is going to throw a complete game shutout now that I wrote this piece  :-P

#44 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:42 PM

LOL, what timing.

I agree with you though, I like him as a long man.

#45 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:43 PM

You know he is going to throw a complete game shutout now that I wrote this piece  :-P

Buck said he'll only throw about 80 pitches so no need to worry there. I mean truth is McFarland is likely a RP but I think it's too early to pencil him into that role. He deserves a chance to start.

#46 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:48 PM

Meh. Yeah, he shouldn't be up here as a RP but at the same time he hasn't earned another start up here either. He'll be sent back as soon as Stevie Johnson or Chen are ready to come back.

Fine...then send him down.

It's terrible roster management to have him sitting here...he isn't gaining experience, he isn't working on things and he is accruing service time. Really horrendous decision making.

#47 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:53 PM

He's almost assuredly going to pitch tomorrow. My guess is this was a last minute decision to go with McFarland over Gaus. My guess is the original plan was for gaus to pitch tomorrow. The 3 straight starts into the 7th inning allowed McFarland to not pitch since Sun.

Are the Yanks really bad against lefties vs rightites???

Also, I think you can count on Gaus being sent down pretty soon. We're not going to have to worry about service time with him this year.

#48 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:22 PM

The Yankees as a team are 233/.306/.337 vs lefties and .241/.299/.401 vs righties.

#49 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:47 AM

Fine...then send him down.

It's terrible roster management to have him sitting here...he isn't gaining experience, he isn't working on things and he is accruing service time. Really horrendous decision making.

You can definitely argue he should be sent down now. He was brought up as a fresh arm. He hasn't been needed in that type of role (yet) but we do have the issue of starters not going deep. If they aren't going to use him, they probably should send him down, but good chance I think they use him tomorrow since McFarland will likely be limited.

@levineps

#50 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 01:49 AM

Tucker,

Enjoyed the piece. I was wondering this you mentioned the book being out on him as a starter in probably a short of amount of time. Would that be detrimental if he went back to the 'pen. Would opposing hitters have better ideas when he went back to relieve than had he stayed exclusively in the 'pen?

@levineps

#51 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:19 AM

I don't understand the arguing with TJ making the start tonight.  The Yankees are overwhelmingly left handed right now.  I think I heard that they have had only 2 right handed HR's in the last couple of weeks.  This is not about TJ over Gausman, IMO, it is about throwing a lefty against the Yankees. Unless TJ does something remarkable he will be back in the pen and Gausman will be in the rotation, next start.  To me it is a decision that makes sense due to the matchups.  Gausman probably picks him up in the 5th or 6th inning.

@mikeghg

#52 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:26 AM

Tucker,

Enjoyed the piece. I was wondering this you mentioned the book being out on him as a starter in probably a short of amount of time. Would that be detrimental if he went back to the 'pen. Would opposing hitters have better ideas when he went back to relieve than had he stayed exclusively in the 'pen?

I don't know honestly. I think we could probably assume that he would still be fine once through a lineup, where he is able to use his arsenal to its fullest extent. But I don't have a great answer for you on that.

///////////////

I said in my piece, that I was OK with a spot start here and there. When I originally wrote this, it was in terms of him being a fulltime starter. I think he does make some form of success against the Yankees tonight, although I'm with everyone who thinks it is odd the way they are handling Gausman right now.

#53 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

I have little issue with McFarland getting the start due to the Yankees issues against LHP, though I do think since he's starting, we shouldn't have wasted a handful of service days with Gausman up.  I certainly think that he should be optioned after the game tonight if the plan going forward is for McFarland to continue to start (or if you think Chen will be back in time to pitch the next time this spot is due up).

I understand that they weren't completely sure who was going to start on Friday when they called Gausman up and they needed a potential long man after Garcia's short outing and McFarland's long relief role on Sunday.  I just think if it was only likely going to be for some potential mop up duty, that they should have called up someone other than Gausman for that.

#54 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:49 AM

I have little issue with McFarland getting the start due to the Yankees issues against LHP, though I do think since he's starting, we shouldn't have wasted a handful of service days with Gausman up.  I certainly think that he should be optioned after the game tonight if the plan going forward is for McFarland to continue to start (or if you think Chen will be back in time to pitch the next time this spot is due up).

I understand that they weren't completely sure who was going to start on Friday when they called Gausman up and they needed a potential long man after Garcia's short outing and McFarland's long relief role on Sunday.  I just think if it was only likely going to be for some potential mop up duty, that they should have called up someone other than Gausman for that.

They should have called someone else up to be a long man.

#55 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:55 AM

I feel like they weren't planning on him being the long man (well, in an emergency he would've pitched).  I think they intended for him to get the start tonight when they called him up Monday, but listed him in the pen just in case something unfortunate happened, since McFarland wasn't available for at least 2-3 days.  Then over the course of the week, they realized just how much trouble the Yankees have had with lefties recently, combined with not needing to use too much of the bullpen due to the good starts, and decided that McFarland is the better option for tonight.

It is a lack of foresight, I'd agree, if that is indeed how it worked out.  Should have known the Yanks troubles against lefties, planned for McFarland to get the nod, and then called someone else up for the long man role.  Definitely seems like a waste to have Gausman up here for 5-6 days and not pitch.  I don't think they would have called Gausman up to solely be the emergency long man had the plan all along been for McFarland to get the start tonight.

#56 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:46 AM

I don't know honestly. I think we could probably assume that he would still be fine once through a lineup, where he is able to use his arsenal to its fullest extent. But I don't have a great answer for you on that.

///////////////

I said in my piece, that I was OK with a spot start here and there. When I originally wrote this, it was in terms of him being a fulltime starter. I think he does make some form of success against the Yankees tonight, although I'm with everyone who thinks it is odd the way they are handling Gausman right now.

I don't know the answer either. To me, if it wouldn't adversely effect him in the 'pen (assuming he's removed from the rotation), I think it's worth a shot.

@levineps

#57 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:15 AM

One benefit is Gausman missing a couple starts now, possibly saving some innings so we could have him in September.

#58 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 28 June 2013 - 10:46 AM

Such as who? Mark Hendrickson? Gausman can do long relief. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#59 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:11 PM

There was some over reaction in this thread.  Buck started TJ today to make the Yankees utilize the right handed hitters and that allowed Gausman to come in against a favorable lineup in a more relaxed setting.  The kid was great.  I thought when I heard TJ was starting that Buck had made up his mind to tag team them tonight.  I do not think KG is up to be a long man.  He may even be sent down since we do not need  a 5th to next Saturday but if he does he will be the 5th starter until Chen comes back.

@mikeghg

#60 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 28 June 2013 - 09:22 PM

There was some over reaction in this thread.  Buck started TJ today to make the Yankees utilize the right handed hitters and that allowed Gausman to come in against a favorable lineup in a more relaxed setting.

Yeah, and CC was always supposed to start for the Yankees ;)

@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=