81 replies to this topic

#21 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,254 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:52 PM

I agree that this is a flyer pick. However, I give the kid a chance of sticking for these reasons. First, he's lefthanded and second, he'd probably be a long reliever. If Matusz makes the rotation that leaves a spot open in the bullpen for a long reliever. A long reliever usually pitches in blowouts and low leverage situations. He also isn't used a lot. The O's pretty much worked last year minus a man (Gregg) in the bullpen. So, if they like this kid at all, they could pretty much hide him on the roster all year.

The bullpen is currently

1. Johnson
2. O'Day
3. Strop
4. Ayala
5. Hunter
6. Patton

Most likely, you'll see a 7 man bullpen with 5 starters. If Matusz doesn't make the rotation, he goes to the bullpen and we don't have a true long reliever, unless they use Hunter that way. If Matusz is in the bullpen, this kid is an even longer shot to stick.

#22 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

I agree that this is a flyer pick. However, I give the kid a chance of sticking for these reasons. First, he's lefthanded and second, he'd probably be a long reliever. If Matusz makes the rotation that leaves a spot open in the bullpen for a long reliever. A long reliever usually pitches in blowouts and low leverage situations. He also isn't used a lot. The O's pretty much worked last year minus a man (Gregg) in the bullpen. So, if they like this kid at all, they could pretty much hide him on the roster all year.

The bullpen is currently

1. Johnson
2. O'Day
3. Strop
4. Ayala
5. Hunter
6. Patton

Most likely, you'll see a 7 man bullpen with 5 starters. If Matusz doesn't make the rotation, he goes to the bullpen and we don't have a true long reliever, unless they use Hunter that way. If Matusz is in the bullpen, this kid is an even longer shot to stick.

Basically sums up my feelings about him. He's a LHP, has started 107 games in the minors and is more of a control guy than anything. Knows how to keep the ball down in the zone so maybe that'll translate to the bigs. Even if it doesn't then oh well - was worth a shot. Sometimes you get lucky with these picks.

#23 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,681 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:09 PM

MASN: A scouting report on McFarland from Ben Badler, Baseball America
http://www.masnsport...-mcfarland.html

#24 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:23 PM

Basically sums up my feelings about him. He's a LHP, has started 107 games in the minors and is more of a control guy than anything. Knows how to keep the ball down in the zone so maybe that'll translate to the bigs. Even if it doesn't then oh well - was worth a shot. Sometimes you get lucky with these picks.

Yep, pretty much. Great control, good sink, gets GB. Fits the MO around here, didn't cost anything, why not take a shot and see?
@JeremyMStrain

#25 MKlein76

MKlein76

Sports Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  • LocationGlen Burnie, MD

Posted 20 February 2013 - 06:40 AM

Showalter said the 6-foot-3, 220-pound McFarland will have his opportunity to make the starting rotation — all but nine of his 116 professional outings have been starts — but he could also make the team as a reliever if he proves worthy. Having a capable left-handed ground-ball pitcher in the bullpen is always valuable.

"I can go into any role," McFarland said. "Really, I'm just focusing on making the team and then whatever role I fall into, I fall into. I'm fine with being a starter or being a reliever. But really my main focus right now is what I can control, which is how I perform and just working hard. That's really what I'm really focused on."

http://www.baltimore... ... 4016.story
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this
@MKlein76

#26 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,681 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 07:35 AM

MASN: Looking back at McFarland
http://www.masnsport...-mcfarland.html

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,681 posts

Posted 18 March 2013 - 07:28 AM

MASN: The McFarland debate
http://www.masnsport...and-debate.html

#28 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,681 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:50 PM

Nice debut for McFarland tonight.

3.1 ip, 1 hit, 5 k's, 5 grounders.

Looked composed, worked quick, attacked the lower part of the zone.

#29 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 09:58 PM

Safe to say McFarland isn't going back to Cleveland anytime soon. I don't know who goes when we go back to a 4 man bench but it sure as heck isn't going to be this kid.

Good performance tonight to keep us in the game.

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,681 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:36 AM

Season: 8 games, 16.1 ip, 0-0, 2.76 era, 17 hits, 1 hr, 5 bb's, 19 k's, .658 OPS against, 1.14 G/F

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 May 2013 - 08:51 AM

DD was quoted recently as saying that the rotation is where they envision McFarland long term still. It wouldn't surprise me if they are working with him doing side sessions and such, stretching out a bit, and working on his secondary stuff to potentially prepare for him to take a crack at starting at some point this year. But maybe not, given the depth. 

I've been impressed. He isn't a velocity guy, but his 2-seam appears to be pretty effective. He throws it 57.6% of the time at an average velocity of 86.8. 

His SwStr% is 19% (Probably average'ish for a reliever)... 10.5 K/9, 2.8 BB/9.

ERA is 2.76, FIP is 2.38, xFIP is 3.01. 

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,681 posts

Posted 15 June 2013 - 06:11 PM

After getting his first career win Thursday, McFarland went 3.2 innings today. He allowed just 1 hit, 1 bb, and struck out 5.

#33 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:16 PM

BSL: T.J. McFarland Should Stay in the Bullpen

http://baltimorespor...in-the-bullpen/

My thoughts on why McFarland is fine just where he is.

• BSLChrisStoner, MKlein76 and You Play to Win the Game like this

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:21 PM

Good read. I co-sign.

@JeremyMStrain

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:23 PM

I'm still curious just because pitchers like him have carved out a nice career in the rotation in the past, but you lay out a good argument. The deck is certainly stacked against him as far as being a starter is concerned. Good information on the reaction times, that was informative.

#36 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:28 PM

Yea, definitely want to reiterate that we truly do not know whether he could stick in rotation until seeing it.

But like you said Chris, it's been done before by players with similar arsenals. 

I just think it's an uphill battle for someone of his style, and more often than not, they are not successful. 

Also, I forgot to mention that I think its better off for pitchers of this nature to learn in the MLB in the bullpen at first. I don't really have anything to back that up with, but the pen to me is a place you can get your feet wet. 

#37 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 09:45 PM

Yea, definitely want to reiterate that we truly do not know whether he could stick in rotation until seeing it.

But like you said Chris, it's been done before by players with similar arsenals. 
I just think it's an uphill battle for someone of his style, and more often than not, they are not successful. 

Also, I forgot to mention that I think its better off for pitchers of this nature to learn in the MLB in the bullpen at first. I don't really have anything to back that up with, but the pen to me is a place you can get your feet wet. 

Had a convo with Lance the other night where I pointed out issues he has pitching from the stretch. Mechanical problem that he will have to figure out but it's part of why yes night and day with runners on.

@JeremyMStrain

#38 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:36 PM

And of course, McFarland is making a spot start tomorrow!

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

And of course, McFarland is making a spot start tomorrow!

What? No Gausman?

Wtf is Gausman even doing up here if he isn't pitching?

#40 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 27 June 2013 - 10:38 PM

McFarland starting tomorrow. I'm fine with giving him this shot. Its not like Gausman or any of the other options for tomorrow have earned it.

I like McFarland long term. Haven't made determination on his outlook as a SP though obviously it's usually easier to pitch out of the pen. So we'll see how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=