#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:05 AM

Monmouth
5-5 Northeast Conference

Coming off a 108-56 loss to Syracuse. Have also lost to Notre Dame, Rider, Georgia State, and Navy.
Have beat Hofstra, South Alabama, Tennessee State, Lafayette, Binghamton.

#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

Would like to see some style points (a blow out) tomorrow night. In this week's AP poll, MD was the 8th highest "receiving other votes" team, meaning they're about 33rd in the country in the AP poll, thereabouts. Maryland isn't in the top 50 in RPI, which given the SoS, isn't surprising.

#3 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:13 AM

Would like to see some style points (a blow out) tomorrow night. In this week's AP poll, MD was the 8th highest "receiving other votes" team, meaning they're about 33rd in the country in the AP poll, thereabouts. Maryland isn't in the top 50 in RPI, which given the SoS, isn't surprising.

I'd like to see the actual starting lineup, instead of the variations we have seen the two previous games. You can give the bench expanded minutes, but I think the roster as a whole should be used like they will in conference games.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:15 AM

I'd like to see the actual starting lineup, instead of the variations we have seen the two previous games. You can give the bench expanded minutes, but I think the roster as a whole should be used like they will in conference games.

Yeah, I agree - it will be interesting to see how this shapes up over the next 4 games heading into the VaTech ACC opener.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

We've still got 4 games and 3 1/2 weeks before ACC play starts, so I think we can still play around a little bit to see what we've got. Agree that as we get towards the end of the non-conference that we should get into the standard starting lineup. I think the only spot really up for debate is whether Padgett or Mitchell get to start at the 4. Everything else is pretty well set.

For this game, I'd like to see a faster paced game than Saturday. That was one boring game to watch. Not the Terps fault, SCSU ran off 20 seconds of the clock before every offensive set. The only interesting things were the few alley-oops the Terps got to go down and to see whether they could hold SCSU under 40 for the game. The Terps still had 11 turnovers even in that slow-down type game. That's a good total, but I suspect that on a per-possession basis, it was still a far too sloppy rate. We need to start pushing the ball and take care of it while we do. It's ok to make turnovers from aggressive play, it's the careless ones like taking an eye off a pass and having it go through your hands or throwing a pass to nobody that are more frustrating and need to be eliminated. Would be nice to see a few more outside shots knocked down, but I don't think we'll see that improve too much. Pe'shon, Faust, and Wells are simply not very good outside shooters. Hopefully Allen, Layman, and Aronhalt can provide enough in their limited minutes to provide some sort of a threat.

Oh, and Layman. He's the guy you need to see the most out of. He's the guy in the most danger of getting buried on the bench and forced out of the rotation. He's looked really bad in his limited minutes and his minutes have been so limited that you have to assume he's looking the same way in practice. I'd say the next 3-4 games are more important for him than for anybody else on the team. If he doesn't step up now, he's going to be removed from serious consideration for minutes come ACC time. He's really the lynchpin in allowing the team to play as either really big or really small (him at the 3 versus him at the 4) plus he could be another outside threat, so it'd be great if he can be a useful member of the rotation. He's gotta significantly step up his game, though, or else he'll be left behind in the Auslander Zone for the remainder of the year.

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:43 AM

Yeah, Layman is definitely someone to watch these next few games. He's been pretty awful, but you still see the potential there when he's on the floor. I'd give him some serious minutes to try to get him going.

#7 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:14 AM

Public Service Announcement:

Please be kind to Monmouth..Some of you might remember their coaching staff of King Rice (Head Coach), Derrick Phelps & Brian Reese (assistants) as Tar Heel alum from the Early 90s. Rice was the starting PG on our 1991 Final Four team, while Phelps & Reese were starters on the 1993 National Title team.

Be gentle.
@beginthebegin71

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 10:36 PM

Terps win 71-38. Turgeon very unhappy with the 1st half play. Maryland holds Monmouth to 21% from the floor.

Maryland had 24 turnovers, with Allen being attributed with 7 of them.

Len had 14 points, 10 boards, and 5 blocks. He only had 6 shots.

Faust had 16 points, going 3 of 7 from 3point land.

Terps were 15-19 at the line.

#9 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

Very pleased to see a runaway 2nd half again. Turg and his guys seem to excel at half time adjustments.

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 December 2012 - 11:50 PM

Very pleased to see a runaway 2nd half again. Turg and his guys seem to excel at half time adjustments.

I don't see it as adjustments but Marylands size wearing down the smaller teams. They seem more determined to work at the rim in the second half.
@mikeghg

#11 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 13 December 2012 - 12:14 AM

I don't see it as adjustments but Marylands size wearing down the smaller teams. They seem more determined to work at the rim in the second half.

I think it's both.

#12 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 13 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

I think it's both.

That is fair. We went down there last night and to be honest they did not seem into it, in the first half. Mitchell had a few balls go through his hands, which caused P and Allen to get tagged with TO's. Allen turned the ball over too much.
The second half they played with more energy. Faust played well.
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=