21 replies to this topic

#21 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:01 AM

Yeah, Aronhalt won't be a regular member of the rotation. He'll get mins here and there when needed whether that is because of foul trouble, a zone buster is needed, late game FT shooting, etc. He's such a limited player as Mackus explains above.

In regards to an 8 man rotation I guess if I had to pick 8 it would be:

Howard
Faust
Wells
Padge
Len
Allen
Mitchell
Cleare

That said, Layman is going to get in their somehow. I think Turge has the ability to kind of matchup with that 8th man off the bench. I think he'll generally like to keep the rotation short, by that I mean you'll rarely see a game where 9 players get 5+ min. However, one game Cleare might get 10-15 min and the next it's Jake getting those minutes. Also, it won't just be between Jake and Shaq to get those minutes. I expect Padge and Mitchell's PT could vary a decent amount from game to game as well. That's the great thing about this year, at least as far as the frontcourt. Turge can confidently go further down on his bench on a particular night and expect contributions. I almost expect him to play matchups and the hot hand from night to night.

#22 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,422 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 09:31 AM

In regards to an 8 man rotation I guess if I had to pick 8 it would be:

Howard
Faust
Wells
Padge
Len
Allen
Mitchell
Cleare

That said, Layman is going to get in their somehow. I think Turge has the ability to kind of matchup with that 8th man off the bench. I think he'll generally like to keep the rotation short, by that I mean you'll rarely see a game where 9 players get 5+ min. However, one game Cleare might get 10-15 min and the next it's Jake getting those minutes. Also, it won't just be between Jake and Shaq to get those minutes. I expect Padge and Mitchell's PT could vary a decent amount from game to game as well. That's the great thing about this year, at least as far as the frontcourt. Turge can confidently go further down on his bench on a particular night and expect contributions. I almost expect him to play matchups and the hot hand from night to night.

I think with so many freshman, that we'll be seeing a good bit of "riding the hot hand" when it comes to the rotation. Definitely the gameplan will be for Mitchell and Allen to see more minutes off the bench than Cleare and Layman, but that may not be the case every game, as you alluded to a bit. If Mitchell or Allen are having an off night, or Cleare or Layman look good, I think we'll see the latter two play more than the former at times. Matchups also come into play as you said, as each guy provides something different. Mitchell and Allen have both clearly looked better than the other two guys, but I think we'll see a lot of steps forward and back by all four of them as the season goes on (while overall progressing forward as a group) and that will show up in the minutes played for each from game to game.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=