25 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 05:53 PM

Orioles Nation: http://orioles-natio...couting-report/

Quality information provided by Don Olsen from Orioles Nation.

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 05:57 PM

MASN: http://www.masnsport...n-saunders.html

#3 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:19 PM

I have to question a source that thinks Chen is Japanese.

I like NPB Tracker for my main source of info.

http://www.npbtracke... ... &x=14&y=10

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:51 PM

I have to question a source that thinks Chen is Japanese.

I like NPB Tracker for my main source of info.

http://www.npbtracke... ... &x=14&y=10

To be fair, that was an Editor's note and not part of the actual scouting report.

If the O's were to sign one, would you rather have Chen or Saunders?

#5 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:23 PM

I am more then a little worried that Chen's velocity dip is a sign of injury. If he is going to end up working in the 89-91 range then I wouldn't want to give him more then two years and I think someone will go to three or four on him.

I not not a fan of Saunders at all. If the O's can get him for 1/4 with some incentives to soak up some innings then I can see the logic of the move but I really don't want to see him toeing the rubber.

Give me Chen, at least if they fail it will be in a more interesting fashion. Chen has higher upside and will spread the Oriole brand to a new market.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 09:38 PM

Is there more to hear here? It seems fairly clear from Duquette's comments, that the O's would still like to add further starting pitching.

#7 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:52 AM

The entire free agent market is moving at a snail's speed this off-season. Seems like every off-season, the transactions take longer and longer to get completed throughout baseball. In the middle of December, the league was kind of frozen as teams waited to see what would happen with Yu Darvish. And then the holidays came, a time in which transactions tend to slow down quite a bit. And here we are on January 9, and all is quiet as far as movement on two of the biggest names on the free agent market: Prince Fielder and Edwin Jackson. That's part of Boras' plan -- wait it out until he has the biggest names on the market and teams desperate to add quality have to come to Boras and pay up.

But other names are also still on the market, like Roy Oswalt. As far as Chen is concerned, he's also kind of dragged out, but it's not like any of these guys are in any rush to sign. It's a little while until spring training starts. Seems as if we've been hearing that the O's have been on Chen for the past month. Either Chen hasn't gotten the deal he seeks from a team (four years?) and is waiting it out or is waiting for other teams to jump in that haven't been rumored yet. Chen is a pitcher that I'm intrigued by and would like to add at the right price (seems like he's the best bet of this year's NPB imports to stick in a rotation save for Darvish).
@BSLLukeJackson

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:23 AM

@Ken_Rosenthal Ken Rosenthal
Source: #Orioles close to signing Taiwanese LHP Wei-Yin Chen to multi-year deal. 26 yo hard thrower, pitched for Chunichi in Japan. #MLB

#9 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

I wonder what the contract will be?

#10 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:55 AM

So Stoner what are your thoughts on Chen?

#11 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:59 AM

I saw a prior poster suggest Chen has an injury, completely false.

Chen took a bit off in order to improve his fastball command, as he use to live and die up in the zone. It worked down more from my reports and the improved location helped his off-speed to work even better. I like his split finger change/forkball a good deal. He has smaller hands and gets a nice wrist action drop on it (how I have no clue).

He is the only pitcher outside of Darvish that can come to the US and see success with a mixed arsenal and strength that could lead him to maintain a starter. At worst like Wada, he could be an effect lefty out of the bullpen and you can never have enough of those in your pocket.

Chen and Wada could both realistically fit in the rotation to start the season. It will be interesting to see if the gain maintain separation on this arsenal and keep throwing off-speed for strikes or have them at a quality in this league to get swing and miss.

There are many things that pose problems for mainland or Japanese pitchers to come over to the US with success. It is nice they can get additional pieces on top of Wada to improve there odds that one can be a solid back of the rotation option over a longer stretch.

In my eyes, you likely have two 4/5 or swing man types. These two have a better sense of pitching over the Jo-Jo Reyes of the world and hopefully there crafty styles can surprises some.
@Olsen_Don

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,677 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:00 PM

So Stoner what are your thoughts on Chen?

Pretty much what you outlined above. If the O's are convinced they need to add further starting pitching, I'd rather take a chance on Chen, vs. signing a Saunders. Think you nailed it when you said he (Chen) likely has the higher ceiling, and also spreads the O's brand.

#13 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:18 PM

I am not seeing what you are seeing Don. I see that on 7/14 and 7/20 Chen is touching 95+. Every other start this season his top velocity is no higher then 93.75.

The Chen of a couple years ago threw noticeably harder. I have heard the rational that he was taking a bit off of his fastball for command purposes but if he still had the extra gear I would expect to see some evidence of him raring back and letting go aside from back to back games in July.

#14 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:36 PM

I just hope the 3rd year isn't guaranteed.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 January 2012 - 12:45 PM

Connolly is saying it is 3 guaranteed years.

#16 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:08 PM

Connolly is saying it is 3 guaranteed years.

Well I said earlier that I didn't think two years would get it done.

At least this time they targeted and acquired someone that was coveted by other MLB teams as a starter.

Would rather have Chen for three then the Korean submariner for two.

#17 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

Its being reported that it will be less than 12M total for the 3 years.

That's fine...Worse comes to worse, he will end up being a slighly overpaid reliever...Not that big of a deal.

#18 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 09 January 2012 - 01:22 PM

Nice, worse comes to worse they can cut him the last year.

I don't mind going 3 years if the total investment is under 12 mil. I would have expected him to get closer to the 3yr 15-18 million range considering his relative youth.

#19 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,361 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

I'm excited about this. It's not a huge monetary commitment. I don't know if he'll work out or not, but at the very least it'll be interesting. I think there is more reason for optimism about Chen than there would've been about any American FA SP that we could've signed for $12M. He certainly may end up being a bust, or maybe just a MR, but we should definitely be making moves that have upside of being high value moves, which if this guy can be a solid #3, this is.

#20 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 09 January 2012 - 04:20 PM

Seems like a good investment of funds. I'll take 12m committed to a 26 year old international player over how I'm sure we would have spent it on an American arm.

The bigger picture here is DD's willingness and interest in using the international market to find talent. As I've said before, we're not going to outdraft the Rays, we're not going to outspend the Yankees/Sox..maybe the international market can become the Orioles niche. We'll see how these moves pan out, but I think it's very encouraging.

@AdamWolff

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=