#2 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,454 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:18 PM

Good. It was a bad hire in the first place.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:21 PM

Auburn has a very good recruiting class lined up. Wonder how many of them stick with their verbal?

#4 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:22 PM

Good. It was a bad hire in the first place.

I've already mentioned this but I thought it was kind of weird at the time, since he had 5 wins at Iowa State in two years. Charles Barkley heavily criticized it I recall. I got little problem with the firing considering how bad they did this year. Still just two years removed from a national title, yes I realize it doesn't take a genius to win when you have Cam Netwton.
@levineps

#5 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,454 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:31 PM

I've already mentioned this but I thought it was kind of weird at the time, since he had 5 wins at Iowa State in two years. Charles Barkley heavily criticized it I recall. I got little problem with the firing considering how bad they did this year. Still just two years removed from a national title, yes I realize it doesn't take a genius to win when you have Cam Netwton.

It's all about Auburn needing to do whatever it takes to keep pace with Alabama. They're on the verge of potentially winning their 3rd NC in 4 years, and Auburn isn't even going to a bowl game. Didn't help Chiz that Malzahn left and the offense was beyond awful, despite some talented recruits.

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

Auburn has a very good recruiting class lined up. Wonder how many of them stick with their verbal?

To expand on that a bit, ESPN ranks their prospective 2013 class as #7, Rivals and Scout both rank Auburn as #10.

Memo to Randy Edsall: One of their commitments is from Maryland.

#7 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:35 PM

It's all about Auburn needing to do whatever it takes to keep pace with Alabama. They're on the verge of potentially winning their 3rd NC in 4 years, and Auburn isn't even going to a bowl game. Didn't help Chiz that Malzahn left and the offense was beyond awful, despite some talented recruits.

Yeah the arms race, but are they just going to keep firing coaches every 2-3 years if Bama stays strong?
@levineps

#8 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,454 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

Yeah the arms race, but are they just going to keep firing coaches every 2-3 years if Bama stays strong?

No, because Bama will stay strong. The task at hand is catching up and being in the conversation.

They may lose a few, but I doubt it. Auburn is a very attractive place to play, so I doubt it's going to impact them much.

#9 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 02:44 PM

They may lose a few, but I doubt it. Auburn is a very attractive place to play, so I doubt it's going to impact them much.

Auburn the university may be an attractive place, but when you have no idea who you'll be playing for? Opposing coaches are notorious for being able to put doubt in a kid's mind in that situation. I think it will come down to how quickly they hire a new coach. If they can get a guy in there before the bowl games, and he can connect with the commits right away, then yeah, they have a chance to keep most if not all of them.

And since Auburn has no qualms about hiring coaches who did not win many games at their prior job, I will be forwarding Randy Edsall's resume to their AD later today. Man, Barkley would have a stroke over that one. "Turrible!!!" :lol:

#10 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

@darrenrovell: Beginning Dec. 1, Auburn will pay Gene Chizik $48,611 PER WEEK to NOT coach. He will get paid like this for the next 155 weeks.

#11 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

ESPN: Boston College fires Frank Spaziani

http://espn.go.com/b...coach-4-seasons
@levineps

#12 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

ESPN: Boston College fires Frank Spaziani

http://espn.go.com/b...coach-4-seasons

My friend up at BC will be thrilled. He's been calling for Spaz's head for 3 years.

#13 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:46 PM

Daily Camera: Jon Embree fired by CU Buffs

http://www.dailycame...fire-jon-embree

Not a complete surprise given the results, but I thought he would get a third year.
@levineps

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:35 PM

ESPN: Candidates for the Auburn job (Insider)

http://insider.espn....mod_ncf_xxx_xxx

There are fewer head-coaching jobs in the country with more "bosses" than the Auburn Tigers gig, because of the established and football-obsessed booster contingent on the Plains.

When things turn, they turn quickly.

Petrino is the big name here, like he is everywhere.
@levineps

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:41 PM

ESPN: Battling Saban will be key

http://espn.go.com/c...-saban-recruits
@levineps

#16 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,622 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:32 PM

@darrenrovell: Beginning Dec. 1, Auburn will pay Gene Chizik $48,611 PER WEEK to NOT coach. He will get paid like this for the next 155 weeks.

That NC is proving costly. It will be more costly if the NCAA lowers the boom.
@mikeghg

#17 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

That NC is proving costly. It will be more costly if the NCAA lowers the boom.

Many would argue it's still worth it.

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 27 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

CBS Sports: Anyone offered Auburn job at this time, place would be a fool to take it

http://www.cbssports...fool-to-take-it

Now imagine sharing a state with Saban -- and not just any state, but this one. A state with no NFL team, no NBA team, no MLB team. No real passion for college basketball, and no other BCS school, either. Just Alabama and Auburn. Just you two. Staring at each other from 160 miles away, fans of both schools expecting to beat the other. Beating the other means competing for SEC and national titles, but that's just an added benefit. The most important thing in the state, if you're an Alabama fan, is to beat Auburn. And if you're an Auburn fan, it's beating Alabama.

@levineps

#19 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,359 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:00 PM

CBS Sports: Anyone offered Auburn job at this time, place would be a fool to take it

http://www.cbssports...fool-to-take-it

I disagree with the premise. But I would expect no less out of the rantings of Greg Doyel. Simply competing with Saban should not scare off candidates....anyone who is scared probably doesn't belong at that level to begin with. But when you factor in possible sanctions, then yeah, I think some could have second thoughts. That would be like racing a sprinter with a parachute strapped to your back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=