• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:22 PM

In the other thread, I said that I am not afraid of MD being perennial bottom feeders in football in the Big Ten. If the program is operating optimally, I feel they can be the Top 35 program they should be in any conference. Meaning that I think Maryland can be regularly competitive, winning 7-8 games and going to lower-tier bowls. Occasionally worse, occasionally better.

Do you agree, or disagree?

Obviously there are 5 schools in the Big Ten with huge football programs (Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Penn State), with Michigan State, and Purdue probably leading the next tier.

A number of huge stadiums, and obviously a lot of program investment at those Universities.

I still think Maryland can be competitive in that league. The Terps have to keep the best talent in MD, DC, NOVA at home, and be able to reach into Virginia Beach, Philadelphia, and Western PA.

I would think that playing in the Big Ten, might be more attractive for some recruits and might make it more likely for Maryland to keep the increasing local talent home.

You can look back at the recruiting rankings at ESPN, Scout, Rivals, 24/7 the last few years, and you can see there is a fair amount of local talent.

Clearly the Terps have had a rough stretch the last few years. A horrible 2009, followed by the resurgent 2010, followed by the disaster of Edsall's first year last season, followed by all the ridiculous injuries this year.
Still, we are not too far removed from a 1/2 decade of sustained success (competitive teams, several Top 25 finishes), and 2010 was a recent example of Maryland being a Top 25 capable program.

Maryland won't go into the Big Ten and regularly finish above Ohio State, Michigan, Nebraska, Wisconsin, and Penn State... but when Maryland is going right, they will win games against those teams, and occasionally have years where they surprise.

#2 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:32 PM

There are enough lesser teams in the Big Ten that the Terps ought to be able to find a way to win 6-8 games most years. And the Big Ten's lower-tier bowl games are much nicer than the ACC's. No more playing in RFK Stadium in late December.

#3 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Penn State should be down for a while, so that will help.

I don't expect a big change in how the football team does based on the conference change.

#4 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:38 PM

Yeah, maybe the Terps can get a couple wins on their side of the ledger for a change.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,994 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:48 AM

Can Edsall stay in the ACC?
  • JeremyStrain likes this

#6 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

Can Edsall stay in the ACC?

He can go back to UConn when they join the ACC.....if they'll take him.

Edsall, a Big Ten coach......ugh. That even sounds wrong.

Any thoughts on whether this puts more pressure on him to turn things around? I thought it might already be bowl game or else for him next season. Now, with more money in the pipeline, and thus in better position to buy him out, I think his seat starts getting pretty warm next year.

#7 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Any thoughts on whether this puts more pressure on him to turn things around? I thought it might already be bowl game or else for him next season. Now, with more money in the pipeline, and thus in better position to buy him out, I think his seat starts getting pretty warm next year.

Depending on when they end up moving, might his seat get hot this year? If the school can negotiate an out that gets them into the Big Ten next fall, they might look at it as an opportunity for a fresh start.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

Depending on when they end up moving, might his seat get hot this year? If the school can negotiate an out that gets them into the Big Ten next fall, they might look at it as an opportunity for a fresh start.

We'll see, but I doubt it. The B1G windfall won't be that immediate, and they'll still give him a pass for this season due to the injuries. And since the players still seem to be playing hard for him, I just don't see UM pulling the plug yet. But I think next season the excuses end.

As for joining next year, don't forget that Rutgers has to figure into that equation. The Big Ten will want them both to come at the same time, and the Big East's exit terms, and overall situation, are different from the ACC's.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,313 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:05 PM

We'll see, but I doubt it. The B1G windfall won't be that immediate, and they'll still give him a pass for this season due to the injuries. And since the players still seem to be playing hard for him, I just don't see UM pulling the plug yet. But I think next season the excuses end.

As for joining next year, don't forget that Rutgers has to figure into that equation. The Big Ten will want them both to come at the same time, and the Big East's exit terms, and overall situation, are different from the ACC's.

Yeah, I think that is a good read on it. The expectation will be a lower-tier bowl next year. If that does not happen, I would see Edsall being replaced after that.

#10 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:58 PM

Probably does, look at Colorado with Dan Hawkins. They canned him as they were on the way out the door of the Big 12 into the Pac-12 (hasn't really worked out). I think "getting" a Big 10 coach might just be more of a priority if they have a down year next year. And typically speaking, coaches usually get 3 years minimum barring scandal, so there's that.
@levineps

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:29 PM

Probably does, look at Colorado with Dan Hawkins. They canned him as they were on the way out the door of the Big 12 into the Pac-12 (hasn't really worked out). I think "getting" a Big 10 coach might just be more of a priority if they have a down year next year. And typically speaking, coaches usually get 3 years minimum barring scandal, so there's that.

IIRC, Colorado had some balance sheet issues too, although maybe not as bad as UM. Is that keeping Embree around, or does he just need and deserve more time to turn things around there?

#12 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

IIRC, Colorado had some balance sheet issues too, although maybe not as bad as UM. Is that keeping Embree around, or does he just need and deserve more time to turn things around there?

They did it because they wanted to get out of the Texas-based league and Pac-12 provided a better financial situation. They didn't get as much revenue from the Pac-12 at the beginning, not sure if this will be the case with MD? At the time, they hired Embree, Mike Bohn(the AD) flat out said they couldn't afford a "2 million/year" head coach so that's why we got him, because he was an alum/cheap. I'm generally in favor of three years, no matter what barring scandal, but this one is tougher to justify given how bad the defeats have been, they make some of the MD "bad" games look competitive. It sounds like the President/AD are going to give him more time, but substantial staff changes are coming. Also, the job isn't percieved as a good one right now, not that that will change in the next few years. Just the idea of giving a coach only a few years, doesn't give a good vibe for future coaches to consider.
@levineps

#13 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,610 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

As long as we have Locksley recruiting talent I'll be confident in the direction of the program -- just don't make him the head coach.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#14 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,512 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

They didn't get as much revenue from the Pac-12 at the beginning, not sure if this will be the case with MD?

It almost certainly will be. I know Nebraska got a smaller share than the other schools last year. It's pretty typical that new conference members get phased in to a "full-share" over 2-3 years. For most of them though, it's worth it because even a reduced share in their new conference is equal to or greater than what they would have received in their old conference.

And I do hope Colorado can turn it around and make the Pac-12 even more competitive. They showed it can be done there during the McCartney and Neuheisel eras. I really don't want to see the South Division become USC, UCLA, and the Four Dwarfs.

#15 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:51 PM

As long as we have Locksley recruiting talent I'll be confident in the direction of the program -- just don't make him the head coach.

Won't he eventually be offered a HC position again or even being an OC at a better program?
@levineps

#16 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:14 PM

Baltimore Sun: Big Ten move for Maryland no big surprise to Bobby Ross

http://www.baltimore..._medium=twitter
@levineps

#17 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:57 PM

ESPN: Maryland, Rutgers add little in short term

http://espn.go.com/b...e-in-short-term
@levineps

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Baltimore Sun: Former AD Andy Geiger says 'Maryland will be challenged' in Big Ten

http://www.baltimore...0,4248510.story

When it comes to filling Byrd Stadium when the Terps join the Big Ten in 2014, Geiger said that should not be a problem. But it will be interesting to see who is sitting in the seats.

“The Big Ten is probably the best travelling league in the country,” Geiger said. “It’s going to be a wakeup call for Maryland. If Maryland fans don’t buy the seats at Byrd, somebody else will be sitting in them.”

I'm thinking this will be true in the beginning, particularly if the Terps aren't doing well. Sure there are a lot of transplants in this area to begin with. However, I don't think fanbases will come in masse in 2025, if their teams aren't doing particularly well. Nebraska didn't even sellout Colorado and it was much closer. Could I see Penn State doing that if they return to respectability, sure, but I'm thinking teams farther away won't travel as well as some expect later on.
@levineps

#19 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:07 PM

Baltimore Sun: Former AD Andy Geiger says 'Maryland will be challenged' in Big Ten

http://www.baltimore...0,4248510.story

I'm thinking this will be true in the beginning, particularly if the Terps aren't doing well. Sure there are a lot of transplants in this area to begin with. However, I don't think fanbases will come in masse in 2025, if their teams aren't doing particularly well. Nebraska didn't even sellout Colorado and it was much closer. Could I see Penn State doing that if they return to respectability, sure, but I'm thinking teams farther away won't travel as well as some expect later on.

Byrd Stadium is going to be what OPACY was when Boston and NY came into town.

#20 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:12 PM

Byrd Stadium is going to be what OPACY was when Boston and NY came into town.

I think that's a great analogy (not sarcasm). Northwestern already experiences that with Michigan and Ohio State.
@levineps

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=