• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#81 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,712 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:07 AM

Hunter on the mound today in Texas, as the O's attempt to win another series.
Hunter has not won a game since July 18th, but is coming off several competitive outings.

8/17 @ Detroit: 6 ip, 4 hits, 3 er, 2 hr's, 2 bb's, 3 k's, 11 grounders
8/12 vs. KC: 5 ip, 8 hits, 3 er, 1 hr, 2 bb's, 2 k's, 8 grounders
8/7 @ Tampa Bay: 5.2 ip, 6 hits, 2 er, 2 hr's, 1 bb, 3 k's, 5 grounders

He is now up to 29 homers allowed in his 118 ip, but has allowed just 23 bb's.

With the O's carrying the extra reliever, and the day off tomorrow; I'd be very happy with 5 strong innings from Hunter today. I'd want to avoid him being extended, and trying to get that additional inning / time through the lineup.

#82 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:32 AM

Hunter on the mound today in Texas, as the O's attempt to win another series.
Hunter has not won a game since July 18th, but is coming off several competitive outings.

8/17 @ Detroit: 6 ip, 4 hits, 3 er, 2 hr's, 2 bb's, 3 k's, 11 grounders
8/12 vs. KC: 5 ip, 8 hits, 3 er, 1 hr, 2 bb's, 2 k's, 8 grounders
8/7 @ Tampa Bay: 5.2 ip, 6 hits, 2 er, 2 hr's, 1 bb, 3 k's, 5 grounders

He is now up to 29 homers allowed in his 118 ip, but has allowed just 23 bb's.

With the O's carrying the extra reliever, and the day off tomorrow; I'd be very happy with 5 strong innings from Hunter today. I'd want to avoid him being extended, and trying to get that additional inning / time through the lineup.

Against this lineup, in this ballpark, Hunter scares the hell out of me. It's not really a matter of if he will give up a HR, it's just how many and how damaging they will be. 2 solo shots will be fine!

@AdamWolff

#83 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:05 AM

Against this lineup, in this ballpark, Hunter scares the hell out of me. It's not really a matter of if he will give up a HR, it's just how many and how damaging they will be. 2 solo shots will be fine!

Tommy Goes Boom! :o
@levineps

#84 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,420 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 10:13 AM

Yeah I agree we're going to have to hit tonight. I don't know if 4 runs gets the job done tonight.

I'm hoping for 6 IP, 3 R from Hunter tonight. Then the bullpen needs to do their thing.

#85 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 04:54 PM

Let's hope they're solo shots...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#86 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 22 August 2012 - 08:39 PM

Take him out back and put him out of his misery.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#87 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 11:10 PM

Pumping 96-97 gas today out of the pen ......Like him better than some of our other options out there right now.

#88 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 01:47 AM

In Sept out of the pen Hunter has the following line

4.2, 0ER,4 hits, 1 BB, 7 Ks

Feel its necessary to give Tommy some props for his performance so far in Sept out of the pen in shorter stints. As I mentioned in the post above, clearly an uptick in his velocity in overall stuff in pitching shorter stints. I think he can continue to be an asset going forward in this role.

#89 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 September 2012 - 07:43 AM

In Sept out of the pen Hunter has the following line

4.2, 0ER,4 hits, 1 BB, 7 Ks

Feel its necessary to give Tommy some props for his performance so far in Sept out of the pen in shorter stints. As I mentioned in the post above, clearly an uptick in his velocity in overall stuff in pitching shorter stints. I think he can continue to be an asset going forward in this role.

Shocking!!!! ;)

#90 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,420 posts

Posted 17 September 2012 - 08:28 AM

I'm still very skeptical about Hunter as a long term asset in the pen, at least as a late-inning guy, he could probably work out as a middle reliever or swing guy like most fringe starters, but it's definitely been very good to see him have success early on out of the pen. If he can keep the ball down and in the park, he can be effective.

#91 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 09:16 AM

I'm still very skeptical about Hunter as a long term asset in the pen, at least as a late-inning guy, he could probably work out as a middle reliever or swing guy like most fringe starters, but it's definitely been very good to see him have success early on out of the pen. If he can keep the ball down and in the park, he can be effective.

He seems to be using the slider or cutter some yesterday and I think through a curve at least once. His velocity was up to 96 a few times. I think he could be valuable as a 2 inning guy going forward.
@mikeghg

#92 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 17 September 2012 - 10:09 AM

At the very least, he can do Kevin Gregg-like mop-up duty!
@levineps

#93 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 18 September 2012 - 05:01 PM

I'd feel confident giving Hunter the role Gregg had this year in 2013.

#94 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2012 - 06:38 PM

Tommy Hunter has been dealing coming out of the pen the last 2 weeks. He hit 100 on the gun a few times today.

A strike thrower hitting high 90"s is a real weapon coming out of the pen.
@mikeghg

#95 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 23 September 2012 - 02:46 AM

Not sure why people are talking about him like he's Kevin Gregg. He doesn't dick around like Gregg did, he just comes out and throws the ball. As best I can tell, he's doing fine as a flamethrower. Am I missing something?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#96 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 September 2012 - 06:43 AM

Looks like hes found his home for the rest of his career. More proof not to spend big on relievers. He should be a great help from here on out, another guy you can feel good about coming into the game.

#97 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 September 2012 - 08:33 AM

Not sure why people are talking about him like he's Kevin Gregg. He doesn't dick around like Gregg did, he just comes out and throws the ball. As best I can tell, he's doing fine as a flamethrower. Am I missing something?

Yea, I do not get that either. One of Hunter's big problems as a starter is that he threw too many strikes, many of the very hitable type. He is still throwing strikes but now has an extra 5 MPH on them. That is a BIG difference.

I think we may have found another power BP arm, and that is a good thing.
@mikeghg

#98 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,345 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 September 2012 - 09:32 AM

One vote for Tommy Hunter being the guy who gets payback vs. the Red Sox whenever we decide to hit one of their batters. World Champion Judu Wrestler, I believe.

http://articles.balt... ... udo-master

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=