Reimold

• Please log in to reply
303 replies to this topic

#41 Slappy

Slappy
  • Members
  • 131 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:02 AM

In the offseason, many were advocating adding Carlos Pena and either Cuddyer or Willingham.

Other than adding someone they have heard of and upping the payroll, what would those 2 signings have accomplished?

These guys are very important to the Orioles right now.

If Davis flops, so be it. But he could be our Carlos Pena, just from 5 years ago. That would be huge for this team.

Same with Reimold. Reimold could be a borderline AS player or he could be nothing.

But signing a 770 OPS OFer who is on the wrong side of 30, to a multi year, expensive contract just made no sense.

Agreed on Cuddyer/Willingham, but I would have been okay with a Pena signing. Chris Davis even if he does pan out is a one-tool (power) player when the best teams in the AL have first basemen who hit for average, power, with patience and (in most cases) gold glove defense. Pena would have given us power, patience, and defense while we worked on a longer-term solution for the position, where nothing exists today.
The world's most concise Baltimore Orioles Twitter feed - @OneWordBird

#42 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

Agreed on Cuddyer/Willingham, but I would have been okay with a Pena signing. Chris Davis even if he does pan out is a one-tool (power) player when the best teams in the AL have first basemen who hit for average, power, with patience and (in most cases) gold glove defense. Pena would have given us power, patience, and defense while we worked on a longer-term solution for the position, where nothing exists today.

Pena's defense isn't what it once was and Davis will be fine over there.

Hard to believe years of scouting reports about him being a solid defensive first baseman are going to end up being wrong but its certainly possible.

Either way, the defensive difference isn't/wasn't worth the money.

In an extremely small and meaningless sample size, Davis has a -.1 UZR and Pena is -.3 so far this year.

Again, I know that doesn't matter, just saying that defensively, there isn't any different about them yet this year even though Davis did have the bad game the other night.

#43 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 12:50 PM

MASN / Dempsey's Army: http://www.masnsport...delights-1.html

#44 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:19 PM

Neck spasm keeps Reimold out of lineup today.

That's his issue..can he stay healthy and get in the lineup on a consistent basis?

#45 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,376 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 April 2012 - 03:22 PM

Neck spasm keeps Reimold out of lineup today.

That's his issue..can he stay healthy and get in the lineup on a consistent basis?

I hope so, that's the offense we need right now. Especially with Nick not hitting.
@JeremyMStrain

#46 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:01 PM

Kind of disappointing. He's as hot as anyone and he has a "tight hamstring" and then "neck spasms". I'm sure they are legitimate injuries but I have to question Nolan's toughness here.

#47 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Kind of disappointing. He's as hot as anyone and he has a "tight hamstring" and then "neck spasms". I'm sure they are legitimate injuries but I have to question Nolan's toughness here.

Considering he played for months with a partially torn hamstring a few years ago, I think he is pretty tough.

Well I hear Linda Ronstadt is looking for a guitar player.

#48 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,353 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

Yeah, I don't question his toughness, but I do question his durability.

#49 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:16 PM

It was an achilles injury but point taken.

#50 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Yeah, I don't question his toughness, but I do question his durability.

Exactly, I think Buck is just being cautious considering his past durability. My guess is Nolan would be in there if it was up to him.

#51 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Out again with neck issue.

#52 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

Wouldn't be shocked to see a DR's visit tomorrow lead to a 15 DL trip at this point.

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

Wouldn't be shocked to see a DR's visit tomorrow lead to a 15 DL trip at this point.

Possible. Hopefully with being off yesterday, today, and tomorrow, that will be enough.

#54 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:06 PM

Possible. Hopefully with being off yesterday, today, and tomorrow, that will be enough.

I don't trust this team when it comes to disclosing injuries.

#55 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 April 2012 - 01:16 AM

I don't trust this team when it comes to disclosing injuries.

One of conspiracy theorists thinking Reimold really isn't hurt?
@levineps

#56 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 23 April 2012 - 08:49 AM

One of conspiracy theorists thinking Reimold really isn't hurt?

No, one of the conspiracy theorists that think Reimold has a bigger issue then nagging neck spasms. In my experience the O's are more likely to under report injuries. I think it is telling he didn't pinch hit in an extra inning game.

#57 ESHJjaksClayton

ESHJjaksClayton
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

I think it is telling he didn't pinch hit in an extra inning game.

Depends who you would want him to pinch hit for. On the road when you have to put him in the field for the bottom half of the inning (where he is by most advanced metrics the Orioles worst defensive player) it makes no sense to pinch hit him unless you have another player to put out in the field. That rules out him being able to pinch hit for Chavez. At home, I would tend to agree with you.
@ESHJjaksClayton

#58 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

Depends who you would want him to pinch hit for. On the road when you have to put him in the field for the bottom half of the inning (where he is by most advanced metrics the Orioles worst defensive player) it makes no sense to pinch hit him unless you have another player to put out in the field. That rules out him being able to pinch hit for Chavez. At home, I would tend to agree with you.

Reimold rates below Reynolds?

They had defensive options if they didn't want to leave him in the game. That is if their rule 5 guy hasn't become completely glued to the bench yet.

#59 ESHJjaksClayton

ESHJjaksClayton
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:33 PM

So far in this season of small sample sizes he is on pace to cost the O's 33 more runs defensively than Reynolds. Obviously this will even out as the year goes by but it is worth bringing up that he is absolutely a butcher out there which makes for a risky situation for a road team in extras. And I'm not sure that you can throw anyone on their bench into the outfield confidently in that situation. If you wanted him to pinch hit for Davis or Andino, then yes Flaherty would be a decent option as a defensive replacement.
@ESHJjaksClayton

#60 Can_of_corn

Can_of_corn

Lacks Fancy Title

• Members
  • Pip
  • 557 posts
  • LocationFL

Posted 23 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

So far in this season of small sample sizes he is on pace to cost the O's 33 more runs defensively than Reynolds. Obviously this will even out as the year goes by but it is worth bringing up that he is absolutely a butcher out there which makes for a risky situation for a road team in extras. And I'm not sure that you can throw anyone on their bench into the outfield confidently in that situation. If you wanted him to pinch hit for Davis or Andino, then yes Flaherty would be a decent option as a defensive replacement.

I will call SSS on Reimold vs Reynolds this season. Reimold was actually about average last year in left so the ability is there for him to be adequate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=