346 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 13 December 2011 - 07:10 PM

MASN / Kubatko: http://www.masnsport... ... to-go.html

MASN's Roch Kubatko passing on good news from Arrieta. I'd prefer Arrieta to start the year in the O's rotation, but if any additional starters are added, perhaps he will be targeted for the pen.

#2 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:12 AM

It's great to here Jake is fully recovered. I thought his numbers for 2011 as a whole were pretty disappointing, but he did improve his SO/9 and SO/BB ratios. He got burned by the HR ball more, but I'd look for him to be in the 4.00-4.50 range this season and hopefully give us 175+ innings. I fully expect this to be his best season to date, hopefully cementing himself in the rotation going forward.

@AdamWolff

#3 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 14 December 2011 - 10:54 AM

It's great to here Jake is fully recovered. I thought his numbers for 2011 as a whole were pretty disappointing, but he did improve his SO/9 and SO/BB ratios. He got burned by the HR ball more, but I'd look for him to be in the 4.00-4.50 range this season and hopefully give us 175+ innings. I fully expect this to be his best season to date, hopefully cementing himself in the rotation going forward.

He was making very good strides before his injury seemingly started to bother him.

He was cleaning up his delivery and get more consistency out of that and that is going to be important.

#4 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 December 2011 - 11:56 AM

Put me firmly in the camp that believes Arrieta should be given the opportunity to start the year in the rotation this season. I think he is a potential sleeper for us this year.

#5 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 05:08 PM

CSN Baltimore: http://www.csnbaltim...972&feedID=6704

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 09 January 2012 - 11:43 AM

MASN / Kubatko: http://www.masnsport... ... to-go.html

MASN's Roch Kubatko passing on good news from Arrieta. I'd prefer Arrieta to start the year in the O's rotation, but if any additional starters are added, perhaps he will be targeted for the pen.

I'm an Arrieta fan, and as I said above, I would prefer him to start the year in the O's rotation. However, if Chen becomes official, I think it quite possible he becomes targeted for the bullpen (and that we see Johnson traded).

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:29 PM

Camden Crazies: 2011 Orioles Retrospective: Jake Arrieta
http://www.camdencra...ke-arrieta.html

#8 waroriole

waroriole

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 519 posts

Posted 13 January 2012 - 05:28 PM

If Arrieta isn't a SP, and he's not injured, then someone making decisions is a moron.

#9 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:53 AM

MLB.com / Ghiroli: http://baltimore.ori...ws_bal&c_id=bal

Arrieta expects to be 100% ready for ST, wants to be a 200ip pitcher this year. Love everything that he has to say here. His comments about his preparation before games with the elbow, is illuminating.

#10 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 January 2012 - 12:13 PM

If Arrieta isn't a SP, and he's not injured, then someone making decisions is a moron.

Agreed, Jake IMO should have had the surgery last year, and I think he pitched hurt all 2011. He is a talented guy and needs to be given the innings. Just a hunch but Jake breaks through and has a good year in 2012
@mikeghg

#11 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:50 PM

Agreed, Jake IMO should have had the surgery last year, and I think he pitched hurt all 2011. He is a talented guy and needs to be given the innings. Just a hunch but Jake breaks through and has a good year in 2012

I think so too. He just seems to have the mental makeup to be a great pitcher. The more I'm learning about pitchers, the more I think that you have to really have the right attitude to be truly successful. I think Jake has a very solid year in 2012.

@AdamWolff

#12 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:17 PM

Baltimore Sports and Life: "In 2011, Arrieta saw improvement in his K/9, Line Drive %, Ground Ball %, and First Strike % numbers. With the removed bone spur not directly at the elbow (and with him having surgery when he did), there seems to be confidence in his ability to have a normal throwing program this Winter. Obviously 21 homers in 119.1 ip is too much, and his fastball command has to increase. What are your current thoughts on him?"

Marc Normandin, SB Nation: "Arrieta needs to cut down on the homers and the walks, but he’s shown some flashes."

Jason Parks, Baseball Prospectus: "Arrieta is an arm that might be better suited to the ‘pen; although if the fastball command can improve, he can become a consistent rotation arm, but he needs to keep the ball down and he needs to improve his sequencing to keep hitters off the fastball.”

David Schoenfield / ESPN: “As for Arrieta, 139 pitchers have thrown at least 200 innings the past two seasons and he ranks 137th in SO/BB ratio.”

DJ Short / NBC Sports Hardball Talk: “I still think Arrieta has a chance to be a decent back-end starter, but his command needs to improve. Only two pitchers (with at least 200 IP) have a higher walk rate over the past two seasons.”

Dan Szymborski / BBTF / ESPN: "As for Arrieta, I still think he’s 4/5 starter material and again, the O’s can wait him out and hope for development, but they shouldn’t be writing him into the 2015 rotation in ink.”

Jonathan Mitchell / MLB Dirt / ESPN Sweet Spot: "Arrietta is the darkhorse. If I ran the Orioles I would give him 2012 to fix the fastball command. If he does then you have a potential #3 guy. If not then you move him to the pen and hopefully his stuff plays up in short stints.”

Matt Klaassen / FanGraphs: “With Arrieta, they need to focus on making sure he is healthy to start the year, then go from there."

Gary Armida / Baseball Digest: “I actually think Arrieta is the best of the three. I love his stuff, but like you said, he has to control it. 4.5 walks per nine innings is unsustainable. If he can cut down the walks, which I believe would cut down on homeruns too as a result of being in the count, he can lead the staff."

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 11:42 AM

Does Arrieta give the O's 175 ip this year? What are you expecting from him? If you would prefer him to ultimately be in the bullpen, what does have to provides this year for you to want him to stay in the rotation?

#14 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 15 February 2012 - 05:56 PM

Does Arrieta give the O's 175 ip this year? What are you expecting from him? If you would prefer him to ultimately be in the bullpen, what does have to provides this year for you to want him to stay in the rotation?

To answer my own question, I am expecting 175 ip, and the production of league average 3rd starter. We were seeing progress from him before the bone spur began to really impact his performance.

By Arrieta's account, the spur was something he was dealing with (with varying amounts of pain) all year. He says he feels great, I am anxious to see what he can do feeling good. If he provides the production I expect, he obviously stays as part of the rotation. If he regresses at all, you probably do have to think about converting him to the pen.

With Arrieta saying how he feels great, it will be disappointing if he suffers any setback physically during the Spring.

#15 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 February 2012 - 06:29 PM

This is a big year for Arrieta...sort of his make or break season to determine whether he can be a starter or if he needs to be moved to the pen.

One thing not talked a lot about is the strides he made last year because the elbow started to bother him more and more. But it was like a 10 start stretch or so, so the sample size was small.

But his stride was shortened and he didn't have that hitch nearly as much and I think that helped him out a lot.

So, can he build on that?

I think 175 IP is tough for him this year because I am not convinced he starts the season in Baltimore.

If you set the over/under at 175 IP, I take the under.

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:47 PM

Matthew Pouliot, NBC Sports Hardball Talk: "Arrieta looks like a decent enough No. 4 to me. The homers are going to remain a problem, but it shouldn’t be that bad again."

Brandon Warne, FanGraphs: "As for the three listed here? I think I like Arrieta best — I love strikeouts, after all — but really think he and Britton should be league-average or better starters in ‘12."

Satchel Price, SB Nation: "I’m more optimistic about Arrieta, but I wonder how many bats he’ll miss once he’s pitching in the zone more frequently.”

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 25 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

MASN / Kubatko: http://www.masnsport...ys-workout.html

Arrieta's right elbow appears to be fine. Good velocity, good command.

"So far, so good," Showalter said. "He's doing great so far."

Showalter was told that Arrieta threw two innings in an alumni game in Fort Worth before reporting to camp.

#18 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

ESPN / Kurkjian:https://twitter.com/...001254315667457

"At the Orioles this afternoon. Jake Arrieta told me he is 100 percent healthy. They got him at 95 on the gun the other day."

#19 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,720 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

3/9 vs. Tampa: 3ip, 0 hits, 0 er, 1 bb, 1 k.

#20 tpjs1

tpjs1

Pops

• Members
  • 203 posts
  • LocationCatonsville MD

Posted 09 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

I saw one quote that had Arrieta at 97 on the radar gun today. And he raved about how good he felt. If he can throw in the mid-90's and command that fastball, he will be fun to watch this year.
@Tpjs1

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=