189 replies to this topic

#141 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 12:28 PM

I've been big on Gonzo forever... I think he knows more about pitching than the rest of the rotation... that's how he succeeds...

Good thing we didn't trade him...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#142 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:26 AM

MASN / Camden Depot: Matt Kremnitzer: Miguel Gonzalez is at it again

http://www.masnsport...t-it-again.html

#143 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:57 AM

MASN / Camden Depot: Matt Kremnitzer: Miguel Gonzalez is at it again

http://www.masnsport...t-it-again.html

>> "He'll never be a team's top starting pitching option..."

If it's an important game that we've gotta win, there's nobody I'd take over him...  I'd be fine with some others, but I'd pick none of them over Gonzo...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#144 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 11 June 2015 - 05:52 PM

Moved to the DL with the right groin strain.  Maybe one benefit is that it will help keep Gonzo's arm fresh.

#145 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:15 AM

MASN: Miguel Gonzalez on the loss against Minnesota and his struggles this year

http://www.masnsport...-this-year.html

#146 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:24 AM

I guess the groin is still bothering him? Still some discomfort?

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#147 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 21 August 2015 - 08:30 AM

I don't think so.  Just has zero consistency from inning-to-inning and even pitch-to-pitch.  Can't stay in a decent groove even when he's able to find one.

#148 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

The command is just terrible.

No idea what is going on with him.

Could be something mechanical but his delivery is so simple.

Also, its not like his stuff appears to be worse or anything, so I don't see an injury as an issue either.

He seems to have 1 bad innings and everything else is fine but that speaks to the inconsistent command.

#149 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,538 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 21 August 2015 - 10:28 AM

Said this in the game thread but can't keep giving every 5th game away.  Especially against a team like the Twins who are one of the worst opponents left on the schedule.

I know Buck will ride him out, but I'd have made a move.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#150 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 07:29 AM

MASN: Buck Showalter on Miguel Gonzalez

http://www.masnsport...a-6-3-loss.html

On top of that, we learned tonight that Miguel Gonzalez received a cortisone injection in his right shoulder and will undergo an MRI on Tuesday. His elbow also is sore, which explains why manager Buck Showalter mentioned discomfort in "a couple places."

"He had an injection in his shoulder, which is a two- or three-day thing to recover from," Showalter said after tonight's game. "I think we'll have a pretty good idea of what we're dealing with tomorrow. We want to make sure we get a couple pictures, make sure there's not any damage that we don't know about before we proceed with the next step."

#151 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 01 September 2015 - 11:13 AM

I am going to be pretty pissed if he has been pitching hurt for a while and they kept sending him out there.

#152 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 05:07 PM

I am going to be pretty pissed if he has been pitching hurt for a while and they kept sending him out there.

SP's pitch hurt all the time, it's normal... Palmer said it was part of the job description:  go out and injure your arm every X-days.... it's just a matter of how hurt...

#153 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 01 September 2015 - 09:44 PM

SP's pitch hurt all the time, it's normal... Palmer said it was part of the job description:  go out and injure your arm every X-days.... it's just a matter of how hurt...
Wow. Just. Goodnight.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#154 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 01 September 2015 - 10:14 PM

Wow. Just. Goodnight.

It may not be what should happen, but if you don't think that it's what actually does happen, you aren't paying attention.

@DJ_McCann

#155 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:50 AM

Wow. Just. Goodnight.

You think SP's go into the clubhouse to put their arm-and-shoulder into an ice-sling because, um, why?  Because having frozen body parts feels good?

#156 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:06 AM

They pitch through things until its big enough to affect performance, and even then its how much it bothers it.

Part of why we get to go oh sure so and so has been horrible, now there's a magic injury.
@JeremyMStrain

#157 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:07 AM

Gonzalez is pretty obviously injured.

Since he came back from the DL he's been terrible.

I hope it's that simple.

#158 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:48 PM

They pitch through things until its big enough to affect performance, and even then its how much it bothers it.

Part of why we get to go oh sure so and so has been horrible, now there's a magic injury.

Oh I get that pitchers(and all players) play through injury.

But if he is hurt at a level that it is effecting his ability to pitch well and the team knows that and they have continued to send him out there when this team is sucking, that's a big issue.

#159 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,377 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:27 AM

Oh I get that pitchers(and all players) play through injury.

But if he is hurt at a level that it is effecting his ability to pitch well and the team knows that and they have continued to send him out there when this team is sucking, that's a big issue.

Yeah my bigger thing is the whole KG problem. We haven't had room for a SP all season, and then magically they come out and say a guy has been pitching hurt? Why couldn't they have just DLed him a long time ago and let some guys pitch that should have been the whole time, OR go out and get a guy at the deadline that could help.

@JeremyMStrain

#160 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 09:04 AM

Yeah my bigger thing is the whole KG problem. We haven't had room for a SP all season, and then magically they come out and say a guy has been pitching hurt? Why couldn't they have just DLed him a long time ago and let some guys pitch that should have been the whole time, OR go out and get a guy at the deadline that could help.

Not sure this timeline is accurate.  Gausman couldn't find a spot early in the year, before Gonzo got hurt and before Norris was banished to the pen.  When Gonzo got hurt, Gausman came up, and he stayed up and Norris went to the pen when Gonzo returned (Gonzo on DL June 10, Gausman first start June 20, Gonzo return June 25, Norris last start June 29).  Gausman was skipped twice after that first start and worked around the AS Game, so he was bounced around a bit but was mostly roster management stuff because he had options and they didn't need all 5 SP over that stretch (the worse thing was not getting him a start until 6/20). 

I don't think there was ever a point in time where Gausman wasn't in the rotation while they were asking Gonzalez to pitch through discomfort (if they ever did that).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=