• Please log in to reply
113 replies to this topic

#21 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:23 AM

Todd Frohwirth? Now THAT'S a blast from the past. Excited to see what O'Day can do with a changeup.

Know he did some advanced scouting for the O's.  Think every kid our age was him in the back yard games growing up.

#22 mgallo

mgallo
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:10 AM

Hopefully the CH will help O'Day versus lefties and while I realize last year was his worst year versus lefties in his career, I think that his career numbers v lefties were more a small sample size issue than him truly being that good...He is a side arm righty and usually those guys get crushed by lefties...

He's not as bad against lefties as last year but idk that he's as good against them as his pre-2013 numbers suggest...Anyway adding a new pitch in ST is like being in the best shape ever/gaining 20 pounds of muscle/feeling better than ever....It's common ST bull**** that may or may not matter at all and is usually just fluff piece garbage..

But I hope it is a major league quality pitch that helps him continue to be a bp ace.

• JeffLong likes this

#23 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 01:12 PM

Hopefully the CH will help O'Day versus lefties and while I realize last year was his worst year versus lefties in his career, I think that his career numbers v lefties were more a small sample size issue than him truly being that good...He is a side arm righty and usually those guys get crushed by lefties...

He's not as bad against lefties as last year but idk that he's as good against them as his pre-2013 numbers suggest...Anyway adding a new pitch in ST is like being in the best shape ever/gaining 20 pounds of muscle/feeling better than ever....It's common ST bull**** that may or may not matter at all and is usually just fluff piece garbage..

But I hope it is a major league quality pitch that helps him continue to be a bp ace.

http://www.fangraphs...ng-a-new-pitch/

• mgallo likes this
@JeffLongBP

#24 mgallo

mgallo
  • Members
  • 66 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 04:24 PM

http://www.fangraphs...ng-a-new-pitch/

Haha called it...

#25 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,856 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 12 March 2014 - 09:38 PM

Todd Frohwirth? Now THAT'S a blast from the past. Excited to see what O'Day can do with a changeup.

He's one of my all-time favorite pitchers for the O's....I remember watching HTS videos of him and him scraping the ground with his knuckles on pitches!  I loved watching him pitch, and even trying to be a submarine pitcher in teener ball as a result...toyed with it with SOME success, but I was a catcher, so there was no need for a submarine throwing catcher.  ;-)

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#26 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,652 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 07:50 AM

My favorite Frohwirth memory is he had a close 2-2 pitch with the bases loaded and 2 outs called a ball.  3-2 pitch was crushed for a Grand Slam.  Frohwirth flips the hell out at the umpire in retrospect over the 2-2 pitch, and gets tossed.  He continues his tirade and throws his glove and hat towards the dugout, but in the same submarine motion he uses on the mound.

#27 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 15 April 2014 - 11:51 AM

Anyone else a bit curious about the use of O'Day thus far?

Or is just as simple as maybe he's been overrused the past few years and Buck wants to keep him fresh all season?

@beginthebegin71

#28 Dr. FLK

Dr. FLK

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,239 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:54 AM

Anyone else a bit curious about the use of O'Day thus far?

Or is just as simple as maybe he's been overrused the past few years and Buck wants to keep him fresh all season?

I think part of it might be that Buck's trying to figure out what he's got in the bullpen this year.  He wants to see what he has in guys like Meek early on, so he knows what changes need to be made down the road.  He knows O'Day is a reliable guy, but some of the other guys needs to be tested early on.  As the season goes on, I think guys will settle into certain roles and O'Day's usage will increase.

#29 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 06 June 2014 - 09:21 AM

Season: 2-0, 2 saves, 7 holds, 0.75 era, 24 ip, 18 hits, 2 hr's, 6 bb's, 19 k's, OPS against .616

K/9
2014: 7.13

2013: 8.56

2012: 9.27

#30 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 July 2014 - 01:16 PM

MASNO'Day on not making All-Star team: "I understand how it works"

It's a challenge for a middle reliever or set-up man to find a spot on the team, and especially if your role is largely undefined. O'Day gets it and he's content with having family time next week while others bask in the spotlight.

"It's tough," he said. "We're the offensive linemen. No one pays attention, just like middle relievers, until you miss the block and the quarterback's head is rolling on the field and they want to know which lineman blew it. That's a middle reliever.

"I understand how it works. I'd love to go to the All-Star Game sometime, but I personally voted for Dellin Betances from New York. That guy, he's a middle reliever in our league and he's putting up numbers that are just out of this world. As kind of an impartial voter, I voted for him. I think he deserves to go to the All-Star Game more than I do or more than some of these other middle relievers are. Maybe even more so than some of these closers. I understand that."

@levineps

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:31 AM

Camden Depot: O'Day's surprising splits

http://camdendepot.b...ing-splits.html

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:19 AM

Eutaw Street Report: O'Day again dominating hitters from both sides of the plate

http://eutawstreetre...relief-success/

#33 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,454 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

Mentioned this in the game thread yesterday... but O'Day's ERA is down to 0.96. Just pure filth right there.

#34 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,233 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 September 2014 - 02:28 PM

Sore hammy

http://www.baltimore...0,6469197.story

#35 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:00 AM

MASN: O'Day is a big fan of Showalter's use of the bullpen, plus other O's notes

http://www.masnsport...he-bullpen.html

#36 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:57 AM

Eutaw Street Report: O’s Pick Up O’Day’s Option; Goofballs Don’t Like It

http://eutawstreetre...s-dont-like-it/

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 13 March 2015 - 12:44 AM

MASN: Darren O'Day: "I'd like to come back, for sure"

http://www.masnsport...k-for-sure.html

#38 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,971 posts

Posted 03 July 2015 - 07:55 AM

FanGraphs: Introducing: The Submarine Riseball

#39 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:27 PM

@enosarris: Darren O'Day figured it took about 20 plate appearances for people to expect the rise ball, know his arsenal, so he kept track of PA vs him.

#40 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 19 August 2015 - 10:44 PM

@enosarris: Darren O'Day figured it took about 20 plate appearances for people to expect the rise ball, know his arsenal, so he kept track of PA vs him.

He always struck me as a serious student of his job...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=