#21 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 18 July 2013 - 05:32 PM

That's great. Does this change how you view him as a potential trade chip?

I have been high on him for a while now...although I haven't seen him in person.

I still deal him in the right trade but I do think I value him more than Schoop.

#22 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 July 2013 - 06:06 PM

His change/FB combo (particularly the tail on his change), makes me think of Miguel Gonzalez.

This is great news though, it sounds like he's coming along even better than a lot expected. 

And yeah, I think he's clearly more valuable than Schoop... although there is that whole TINSTAAPP to always have in the back of your mind.

#23 Tucker Blair

Tucker Blair

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationElkridge, MD

Posted 18 July 2013 - 07:54 PM

I don't see how Law ranked him that high. He really seems to pick certain players and roll with them until the last breath. Besides his velocity sticking a tick or two higher, nothing really significantly changed in his game. He's been great this year, don't get me wrong. But I find it hard to believe he has made that big of a jump. 

#24 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

I don't see how Law ranked him that high. He really seems to pick certain players and roll with them until the last breath. Besides his velocity sticking a tick or two higher, nothing really significantly changed in his game. He's been great this year, don't get me wrong. But I find it hard to believe he has made that big of a jump. 

I would imagine for Law, the biggest thing is seeing Rodriguez move from the SAL to the Carolina League (and now Eastern), and continuing to have success with that progression.

Some of his numbers (hits per IP, K's) were better this year in Frederick than they were for Delmarva.

Agree it's a big jump though. If Rodriguez pitches well in the Eastern League to end the year, it will be interesting to see if he takes another jump in the year end rankings.

#25 JeffLong

JeffLong

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,826 posts

Posted 19 July 2013 - 06:41 PM

I would imagine for Law, the biggest thing is seeing Rodriguez move from the SAL to the Carolina League (and now Eastern), and continuing to have success with that progression.

Some of his numbers (hits per IP, K's) were better this year in Frederick than they were for Delmarva.

Agree it's a big jump though. If Rodriguez pitches well in the Eastern League to end the year, it will be interesting to see if he takes another jump in the year end rankings.

KLaw always emphasizes ceiling over likely floor. I think he sees Rodriguez's 3-pitch mix as something that could make him a first division 2/3 which makes him a top 50 guy.

I don't know how likely that is, but his stuff alone suggests that kind of upside IMO. Obviously I'll defer to Tucker on this, but I don't think it's crazy to think he's a top 50 guy with that stuff in AA at 20 years old.

• SportsGuy likes this
@JeffLongBP

#26 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:39 AM

He just loves seeing someone advance a level and improve like Rodriguez did when he went to Frederick to start the year. Every time one of his "guys" does that he always gives them a huge boost in the rankings.

#27 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 10 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

Frederick: 6-4, 2.85 era, 85.1 ip, 78 hits, 4 hr's, 25 bb's, 66 k's

Bowie: 1-3, 7.01 era, 34.2 ip, 37 hits, 5 hr's, 21 bb's, 33 k's

#28 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:00 AM

Frederick: 6-4, 2.85 era, 85.1 ip, 78 hits, 4 hr's, 25 bb's, 66 k's
Bowie: 1-3, 7.01 era, 34.2 ip, 37 hits, 5 hr's, 21 bb's, 33 k's

Uh oh. He's nearly walked as many guys in AA as he did in A in 50 less innings. Also, already more HRs in AA. More Ks too but that is telling. Seems like the advanced hitters, the more patient hitters, are doing a number on him. Not that he cant adjust as well but these trends are worrisome. It tells me these AA hitters are likely very comfortable hitting against him.

#29 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:50 PM

There's five pitchers in AA this year that have pitched 20 innings who are still 20 years old. They are Bradley, Syndergaard, Walker, Wisler and Rodriguez. Of those five, the only one born in 1993 is Eduardo Rodriguez.

He's the youngest pitcher in the level by six months or so. No surprise that he's getting hit hard. The fact that he can strike out AA hitters is impressive.

#30 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

There's five pitchers in AA this year that have pitched 20 innings who are still 20 years old. They are Bradley, Syndergaard, Walker, Wisler and Rodriguez. Of those five, the only one born in 1993 is Eduardo Rodriguez.

He's the youngest pitcher in the level by six months or so. No surprise that he's getting hit hard. The fact that he can strike out AA hitters is impressive.

My only real issue is the walks, but that tends to come from guys trying to nibble around the zone and trying to get strikeouts. Happens when a young kid is learning how to pitch to hitters instead of just overpowering them. Not MAJOR for me, I think it's a good taste for next season.

• Matt_P likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

8/20: 6 ip, 5 hits, 1 er, 1 bb, 7 k's

#32 DarthSlader

DarthSlader
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBalmer, Hon

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:44 PM

Agree with you on Law. He seems to "hate" (for lack of a better way to put it) on certain players for whatever reason. For example, he left Yasiel Puig off his Top 100 for reasons I still don't understand.

Anyway, his aggressive ranking of Eduardo Rodriguez reminds me of his aggressive ranking of Zach Britton. Personally, I see E-Rod as a back end of the Top 100 guy.

#33 DarthSlader

DarthSlader
  • Members
  • 11 posts
  • LocationBalmer, Hon

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:46 PM

Agreed. The strikeout rate is a promising indicator.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#34 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:04 PM

8ip 0er 2h 0bb 5k tonight vs Binghamton who has the best record in the league and the 2nd most runs scored in the league.

#35 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,359 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 26 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

Great to see back to back really strong outings. He may be a legit option for the rotation at some point next year. Maybe sooner than we think.

#36 Luke Jackson

Luke Jackson
  • Members
  • 386 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 03:34 PM

8ip 0er 2h 0bb 5k tonight vs Binghamton who has the best record in the league and the 2nd most runs scored in the league.

When I saw him with Frederick a couple months ago, I liked what I saw but thought that he got away with high heat and that he lacked that one knockout secondary offering to get a lot of swings and misses. His high heat was resulting in weak pop-ups and flyballs in the start I saw. I thought he'd pay for that high heat at AA. Looks like that's what happened, and judging from his comments after his start (http://t.co/XzORdrfzI3), he made the adjustment and began pounding the bottom of the zone against AA hitters. I bet that's why he was bumped up from Hi-A after just 85 innings; Frederick coaches can tell him to pound the bottom of the zone, but it's difficult to make the adjustment unless you're getting hit hard. 90-93 mph and touching 94-95 from the left side won't get hit hard in Hi-A even if it's up in the zone. That high heat will get hit in AA. I wanted to see him at Bowie, but unfortunately didn't get the chance.

• Matt likes this
@BSLLukeJackson

#37 Matt_P

Matt_P

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,552 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 03:43 PM

Where does he start next year, Bowie or Norfolk? You'd think it has to be Bowie but the Os have been aggressive about promoting players. He needs to be added to the 40 man this offseason, no?

#38 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 September 2013 - 04:51 PM

Where does he start next year, Bowie or Norfolk? You'd think it has to be Bowie but the Os have been aggressive about promoting players. He needs to be added to the 40 man this offseason, no?

I think Bowie for 10 starts and then re-evaluate. Has as much to do with who else we have in the system next year too. DD likes having veteran arms at AAA for backup, then you've got Gausman PROBABLY starting there, Bundy getting there after rehab, Wright will be there only leaving 2 vet spots. They will promote to ML from AA so he may never actually see AAA if things play a certain way.

• Matt_P likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#39 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 15 October 2013 - 08:25 AM

MASN: A Scout's take on Rodriguez
http://www.masnsport...and-wright.html

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 25 October 2013 - 09:04 AM

MLB.com / O's.com: Bernie Pleskoff (former scout): Rodriguez has stuff, confidence to succeed
http://baltimore.ori...0&vkey=news_bal

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=