359 replies to this topic

#321 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 08:17 AM

Good luck to the next coach who has no choice but to try to fix Russell Wilson.

I cant believe Denver allow him to keep his same audibles and not change up things when he made the move from Seattle.

#322 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 10:10 AM

He looks completely done. What a disaster for Denver.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#323 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 10:44 AM

Here's the list, which also includes two more guys who never even made it to their first regular season game. Not sure anyone will ever top Belichick's one-day tenure as head coach of the Jets.

Interesting that Lou Holtz, Bobby Petrino and Urban Meyer all were gone after 13 games, though Meyer is the only one of the three who was actually fired.

When Lou Holtz stepped down as coach of the Jets, he proclaimed, "God did not put Lou Holtz on this earth to coach in the pros." Yeah, no kidding. Probably not a good idea to install the Veer when Joe Namath is your quarterback. Who was Joe Namath going to outrun with those knees?

#324 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 12:35 PM

He looks completely done. What a disaster for Denver.

Its alarming how quickly guys can drop off. Ryan is a shell of his former self. Rodgers is a shell of his former self. Granted for Rodgers that bar was super high. Hes not bad but we have to remember he is the two time reigning MVP

#325 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 12:37 PM

Its alarming how quickly guys can drop off. Ryan is a shell of his former self. Rodgers is a shell of his former self. Granted for Rodgers that bar was super high. Hes not bad but we have to remember he is the two time reigning MVP

as in Baseball.

There is such a fine line between playing better than others, than they start playing better than you.

#326 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 03:28 PM

You can add Brady to that list, but he outlasted father time by about 7 years.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#327 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 03:45 PM

The Broncos Had to Fire Nathaniel Hackett Because They Can’t Fire Russell Wilson

https://www.theringe...fensive-failure

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#328 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 06:10 PM

You can add Brady to that list, but he outlasted father time by about 7 years.

Brady's not as bad as he's been playing, mainly because their OL has been decimated by injuries, and frankly, I think to some degree Todd Bowles has lost the team. 

The Broncos Had to Fire Nathaniel Hackett Because They Can’t Fire Russell Wilson

https://www.theringe...fensive-failure

My buddy texted me a quote from Hackett (upon being fired by Denver):

What the f__k was I meant to do? It's hard to coach a guy who has more bathrooms in his house than he has touchdowns on the year."

Ouch. 

#329 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 08:18 PM

Brady’s arm isn’t what it was. Even when he has time he’s throwing the ball in the dirt a lot. I mean he’s 45. He’s not going to be great forever healthy OL or not.

#330 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 04:41 PM

Broncos make Sean Payton head coach. Trade a 2023 first and an “early 2024 pick” with an unspecified pick coming back from NO.

The first round pick this year is #29.
@BSLMikeRandall

#331 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 04:44 PM

Swapped their 2nd for the Saints 3rd next year.

The 1st rounder was originally San Francisco's.  Traded to Miami as part of the deal to acquire Trey Lance back before the 2021 draft. Then dealt to Denver in the deal for Bradley Chubb. 

Denver had traded their own 2023 first for Russel Wilson.

#332 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 05:01 PM

Wonder if Payton has to share Russell Wilson's office or does he get his own?

Denver reportedly had San Francisco defensive coordinator DeMarco Ryans at the top of their list, but he told the team he no longer wanted to be in consideration. This whole thing sounds a little strange; namely, a team "settling" for Sean Payton when other options were no longer viable. Hardly a vote of confidence.

#333 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 05:06 PM

This whole thing sounds a little strange; namely, a team "settling" for Sean Payton when other options were no longer viable. Hardly a vote of confidence.

A 1st and whatever the difference is between 2nd & 3rd next year is a hefty price to pay.  Seems plausible to have preferred Ryans for nothing over Payton for that draft haul.  I imagine Payton costs ownership a bit more cash as well, if that's a factor.

#334 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 31 January 2023 - 06:11 PM

Reeks of desperation to me. Par for the course for Denver. Throwing more good money after the bad. 

#335 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 06:25 AM

Traded Bradley Chubb for a coach.  Meanwhile, the elephant is still in the room.

#336 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 08:13 AM

The Ringer: In Hiring Sean Payton, the Denver Broncos Double Down

#337 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 09:53 AM

I only saw a little bit of his play this year, but I think Wilson is capable of a resurgence.  They really don't have much choice in terms of hoping for it versus not, they can't get out of the deal for 2 more years.

I think that's a different choice than paying premium draft capital for a head coach, though.  I think Payton is a good coach, but I wouldn't have valued him that highly over other options that I'd give up a #1 and a future 2/3 swap. 

#338 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:13 AM

I guess it's worth it if you think he's the best chance to get Wilson turned around. They're screwed for a few years anyway if Wilson's now a 37 QBR type of guy.

#339 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 10:31 AM

I only saw a little bit of his play this year, but I think Wilson is capable of a resurgence.  They really don't have much choice in terms of hoping for it versus not, they can't get out of the deal for 2 more years.

I think that's a different choice than paying premium draft capital for a head coach, though.  I think Payton is a good coach, but I wouldn't have valued him that highly over other options that I'd give up a #1 and a future 2/3 swap. 

He hasn't looked the same since the injury he had last year.

#340 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 08:54 AM

CBS Sports: Broncos' Russell Wilson has roller coaster debut in Sean Payton's offense; inside QB's outing vs. Cardinals

https://www.cbssport...g-vs-cardinals/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=