• Please log in to reply
359 replies to this topic

#1 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

ESPN and many other sources are reporting that Peyton Manning will be cut by the Colts in order to free up cap space and draft Andrew Luck in April. Not unexpected, but news is news. My friend has a nice synopsis of Manning suitors (http://mocksandlocks.webs.com) that I have summarized here. With that said, let's take a look at what teams could be after Manning:

Dolphins: Will most likely be looking for a QB, as who knows if Matt Moore is the answer or not. Manning would have a top WR in Brandon Marshall, but a questionable running game. The Dolphins only have $6M in cap room.

Cardinals: Arizona has $13M in cap room, but with them owing Kolb a fair amount of money (plus having Skelton) on the roster, it will be interesting to see what the Cards do. If they target Manning, he could so wonders with Larry Fitzgerald.

Seahawks: With only one quarterback on the roster, Seattle will also be looking for QB depth. Manning wouldn't have many weapons out there, so I'm putting the Seahawks in the "unlikely" category.

Browns: Another team with almost 0 weapons, the Browns are an interesting choice for Manning. They understand the need for a good QB for the division, as they see Big Ben, Flacco, and Dalton 2 times each per year. Sources say that they have cooled on talks with the Rams for the 2nd overall pick in the draft, so they could use their 2 first rounders on WRs for Manning. But, they also have a terrible defense and in arguably the most difficult division in the NFL.

Chiefs: My personal favorite team to land Manning just because it makes so much sense. A good RB in Charles, a top WR in Dwayne Bowe, and of course, $63M in cap room. The Chiefs are already a favorite to win the easy AFC West division but with Manning, they would be the frontrunners.

Redskins: Everyone knows Dan Snyder isn't afraid to throw around the money. With $29M in cap room, the Skins can afford Peyton Manning. But, will they go after RG3 instead? Will Peyton want to face his brother 2 times a year?

Jets: They don't have much cap room, but Mark Sanchez isn't getting any better. Will Manning want to compete in the NYC spotlight with his brother?

Broncos: The Broncos would definitely be a fit for Manning, but who knows what the front office thinks about Tebow.

#2 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 07 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Chiefs make most sense IMO.

#3 iHateJJRedick

iHateJJRedick
  • Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

I think Peyton would have the most success with Denver or Miami.
@iHateJJRedick

#4 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

I think ESPN will offer to pay Peyton's entire salary if he agrees to sign with Denver.

#5 bhrusty

bhrusty
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 07 March 2012 - 09:31 PM

My thoughts (long form link will be available soon).

Miami has to be the favorite. The owner wants a high profile QB and there are some decent parts in place. If money is part of the equation than the Dolphins need to be up top.

Washington/Cleveland- If Manning is unsigned at the draft (my guess is he will be) than the loser of the RG3 derby will be heavily in on Manning. With Washington Snyder might be in on manning before that, but I think he knows the team is more than one player away at this point and might actually make the smart play.

Seattle- I've felt all along that Seattle wants Flynn. They just locked up Lynch and have a couple of other nice young pieces on offense. If they are smart they lock Flynn up for 4-5 years and let him grow with the WRs/TEs. Manning is only in the picture if they can't get Flynn.

NYJ/KC/AZ- I don't think the leadership in any city wants to admit they made a poor investment with their starting QB. I can't see them bringing in Manning.

Jax - Might be willing to give up on their rookie QB, but I don't think Manning goes there unless he wants to shove it in Irsay's face 2x a season. (similar thought about the Titans).

Denver- I just don't see it.
@bbhrusty

#6 Don Olsen

Don Olsen

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 638 posts
  • LocationSeverna Park, MD

Posted 08 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

I am not sure I would call Seattle a place without weapons. When healthy, Sidney Rice is a match-up nightmare for any defense. Add the rookie Doug Baldwin who has shows the ability to take on the number 1 corner and still come out on top, when Mike Williams and Rice went down for the season.

Completely healthy, they might have the best young line in the league with book end tackles to keep Manning upright. They have the skittle monster in Lynch to keep defenses honest and if you can provide Manning a consistent running game and pass protection they will be one of the last teams standing.

Manning can make any average WR into a borderline solid starter, he can make the solid starter look borderline pro bowl. If he went to the Seahawks, a guy such as Golden Tate has the chance to turn into a household name with Manning joining the team.

If I am Manning, I am look at the team that keeps me clean at the end of the day and run the ball at will. The Seahawks can do both when healthy and would be a logical landing place.
@Olsen_Don

#7 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:44 PM

Yahoo: Manning meeting with Denver, Miami, and Arizona
http://sports.yahoo....-185853576.html

#8 bhrusty

bhrusty
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 09:00 PM

I am not sure I would call Seattle a place without weapons. When healthy, Sidney Rice is a match-up nightmare for any defense. Add the rookie Doug Baldwin who has shows the ability to take on the number 1 corner and still come out on top, when Mike Williams and Rice went down for the season.

Completely healthy, they might have the best young line in the league with book end tackles to keep Manning upright. They have the skittle monster in Lynch to keep defenses honest and if you can provide Manning a consistent running game and pass protection they will be one of the last teams standing.

Manning can make any average WR into a borderline solid starter, he can make the solid starter look borderline pro bowl. If he went to the Seahawks, a guy such as Golden Tate has the chance to turn into a household name with Manning joining the team.

If I am Manning, I am look at the team that keeps me clean at the end of the day and run the ball at will. The Seahawks can do both when healthy and would be a logical landing place.

Agree with you completely Don, though that is why I think they would rather commit for 4-5 years of Flynn over 2 years of Manning. Get a guy who can grow with the young line and Tate/Baldwin at WR and a pair of good young TEs (if healthy) in Miller and Carlson. Plus, SF's run this year was a bit of a mirage and the division is wide open.
@bbhrusty

#9 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 10 March 2012 - 12:52 AM

Agree with you completely Don, though that is why I think they would rather commit for 4-5 years of Flynn over 2 years of Manning. Get a guy who can grow with the young line and Tate/Baldwin at WR and a pair of good young TEs (if healthy) in Miller and Carlson. Plus, SF's run this year was a bit of a mirage and the division is wide open.

Fair enough in regards to Seattle's weapons. I do disagree with you about the 49ers but that is a completely different topic. Though, it looks like the Seahawks are in the "second tier" of teams interested in Manning.

I'm still going with one of Kansas City, Denver, Arizona, or Miami, in that order.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:41 AM

Reports are that he has signed with Denver for 5yrs $95M. Will be interesting to hear how much he gets up-front.

Demaryius Thomas must be the happiest guy on the planet.

#11 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:07 PM

Of course it's a team we have to play this year.

#12 bhrusty

bhrusty
  • Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Of course it's a team we have to play this year.

Let's be honest, it will take a new team at least a few weeks to get used to Manning's spasms at the line of scrimmage, and there is a better than average chance he is hurt
@bbhrusty

#13 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:34 AM

NBC Sports / ProFootball Talk: Decker says there's 'no question' Manning's arm is fine
http://profootballta...ns-arm-is-fine/

#14 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

ESPN: John Elway puts it on line again

http://espn.go.com/n...os-latest-rally
@levineps

#15 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 08:33 AM

Denver Post: Broncos run over Ravens for 9th straight
http://www.denverpos...-ninth-straight

#16 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:49 AM

Round Pick Player Position

1 28 (28) Williams, Sylvester  DT  

2 26 (58) Ball, Montee  RB  

3 28 (90) Webster, Kayvon  CB  

5 13 (146) Smith, Quanterus  DE (From Dolphins through Packers)

5 28 (161) King, Tavarres  WR  

6 5 (173) Painter, Vinston  OT (From Eagles through Browns, 49ers and Packers)

7 28 (234) Dysert, Zac  QB

#17 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:50 AM

Broncos.com: Fox and Elway wrap up the Draft
http://www.denverbro...23-adcb02ac9b27

#18 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:14 AM

http://espn.go.com/n...cutives-sources

@levineps

#19 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:24 AM

Oh that's big.

@RavensInsider: Broncos star linebacker Von Miller is facing a potential four-game suspension for violating NFL policy, according to ESPN.

#20 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Oh that's big.

@RavensInsider: Broncos star linebacker Von Miller is facing a potential four-game suspension for violating NFL policy, according to ESPN.

No Von Miller and no Elvis Dumervill week 1 for them! Where do I sign up?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=