https://www.espn.com...baugh-offseason

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,718 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 06:57 PM

His biggest takeaway when watching film of the AFC Championship Game? Lack of scoring.

Oh gee, you think? What a great take.

Biggest yawn ever. A lot of talking about how they're "working hard" and it "left a bitter taste."

Just like all the talk about how "2023 isn't 2019."

Cool story bro.

I will say that Lamar is right about one thing- beating the Chiefs in the regular season means absolutely nothing. None of it means anything until the postseason.

#3 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,926 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 May 2024 - 07:46 PM

The time to have been motivated by the AFCCG would be been the week leading up to the game. They take this stuff for granted. I’m skeptical they get back there. Hope I’m wrong. The undisciplined nature of that entire game still rubs me the wrong way. Rather easily the worst loss in Ravens history IMO. They were the better team. They just pissed away SB #3.

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,720 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 08:15 PM

The time to have been motivated by the AFCCG would be been the week leading up to the game. They take this stuff for granted. I’m skeptical they get back there. Hope I’m wrong. The undisciplined nature of that entire game still rubs me the wrong way. Rather easily the worst loss in Ravens history IMO. They were the better team. They just pissed away SB #3.

The AFC is loaded. The hill is steep. Window def on the way down vs wide open or on the way up. Now, the window is def still open. You're getting a damn nice breeze coming through the crack but no other way around the fact that last year was a huge missed opportunity. Depends on how you want to define worst loss. I don't know that I'd say it was their worst loss but it was their most disappointing loss.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#5 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 08:24 PM

Every conference championship loser says the same thing.  Every team has their own motivation this time of year.  KC is motivated to become the first team in the SB era to win 3 consecutive championships.  That gives them credibility to claim their dynasty is bigger than NE's.  The Jets are motivated to live up to what last year was supposed to be with Aaron Rogers.  The Bills are motivated to finally get there now that they have gotten rid of the NFL's biggest diva.  The Bengals are motivated to put last season behind them with a healthy Joe Burrow.  Houston is motivated because they are loaded up with a QB that is an MVP candidate.   The AFC is loaded with motivated teams that are good as well.

The Ravens had a golden opportunity last year, but they lost to a team that knows how to win come playoff time.  I can't ever remember a team twice having the league MVP QB and conference #1 seed and not getting to the SB.  Maybe it happened, I just don't remember it.  It's unfair to blame Lamar alone for that, but unfortunately when you are the QB, and the MVP, and you fail in the playoffs that is the narrative that is going to keep being brought up.  

#6 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,926 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 May 2024 - 08:27 PM

They didn’t lose. They choked.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,104 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 08:27 PM

I think 2019 was worse, but not trying to absolve them of any of the negative takes on last year's game. Absolutely a choke job. As Ricker mentioned, they were stupid all game long. Wasn't just any one guy or unit, whole team was dumb all day. They were so damn good they almost found a way despite all that garbage, but while they were double fault tolerant they weren't quadruple fault tolerant.

#8 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,315 posts

Posted 28 May 2024 - 05:20 AM

Every conference championship loser says the same thing. Every team has their own motivation this time of year. KC is motivated to become the first team in the SB era to win 3 consecutive championships. That gives them credibility to claim their dynasty is bigger than NE's. The Jets are motivated to live up to what last year was supposed to be with Aaron Rogers. The Bills are motivated to finally get there now that they have gotten rid of the NFL's biggest diva. The Bengals are motivated to put last season behind them with a healthy Joe Burrow. Houston is motivated because they are loaded up with a QB that is an MVP candidate. The AFC is loaded with motivated teams that are good as well.

The Ravens had a golden opportunity last year, but they lost to a team that knows how to win come playoff time. I can't ever remember a team twice having the league MVP QB and conference #1 seed and not getting to the SB. Maybe it happened, I just don't remember it. It's unfair to blame Lamar alone for that, but unfortunately when you are the QB, and the MVP, and you fail in the playoffs that is the narrative that is going to keep being brought up.

Not sure if it's happened either, but if it has, I'd imagine it was Peyton Manning or Aaron Rodgers.

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 02 June 2024 - 08:12 PM

Is the OC motivated?  That was the problem last January. 

#10 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,797 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 June 2024 - 08:31 PM

The 2011 AFCCG felt worse to me just because they played much better that day overall, on the road no less, and it slipped away at the end. Of course they followed that up by getting revenge against NE the next year and won the SB. So anything's possible.

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 03 June 2024 - 06:28 AM

Is the OC motivated?  That was the problem last January. 

Still haven't heard any accountability from him.  When you single handedly lost the AFC Championship game, maybe you should address it. 

#12 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,104 posts

Posted 03 June 2024 - 07:03 AM

Nobody single-handedly lost the championship game, unless it's Harbaugh and player leadership for being in charge and letting the discipline fall off so far.  The team played stupid as a group all game.  They were either overamped or intimidated, but whatever the cause the result was the same dumb performance.  That was the cause for the loss, not any particular plays, players, or coaches.  They don't win if they call 10 more runs, IMO.  They do win if they played under any amount of control.

#13 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,876 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 03 June 2024 - 07:34 AM

Words are wind

• NewMarketSean and makoman like this

#14 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 03 June 2024 - 09:01 AM

It apparently has not motivated Lamar enough to show up at OTA's.  I guess when you sign a $260 million contract you don't really worry about a mere $750,000.  

https://www.cbssport...ses-per-report/

#15 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,639 posts

Posted 03 June 2024 - 09:10 AM

Good, I assume that’s another 750k of cap space they wouldn’t have had. I don’t care who comes to OTAs.

#16 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,894 posts

Posted 03 June 2024 - 01:50 PM

I still say the offensive game plan cost them the AFC Championship.  Beyond stupid and inexplicable.  Any rationalizations on here are not going to change my mind. 

#17 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,828 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 08:01 PM

Good, I assume that’s another 750k of cap space they wouldn’t have had. I don’t care who comes to OTAs.

I don't know if i works that way.  I'm not sure incentive money that is not earned goes back into the salary cap pool, but I honestly don't know that.  

I don't think it's important for any strategic football reason to be at OTA's, but it's true that leaders show up.  Mahomes and Kelce were at KC's OTA's.  Burrow was at Cincinnati's OTA's.  It's club med for sure.  But as the team leader it's nice to meet the rookies and the new FA's and just chill with the team.  Roquan showed up.  So did Derrick Henry and all of the other offensive starters.  It' not mandatory, but really what did Lamar have to do that was so important that he couldn't show up at the start?  He did show up today I believe after missing all of last weeks sessions.  

In the end it doesn't matter.  I just think it's a leadership thing and a bad look for him not to come and just hang out with the guys.  Especially after getting the big contract and continually professing that a SB ring is the only thing on his mind.  But Lamar is his own bird.  He does things the way he wants to do them.  It is what it is, just trivial football news at the slow part of the offseason.  

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,104 posts

Posted 04 June 2024 - 08:19 PM

I don't know if i works that way. I'm not sure incentive money that is not earned goes back into the salary cap pool, but I honestly don't know that.

It does. Exactly when and how depends on some details, but every dollar paid counts against the cap and no dollars that weren't paid out count.

#19 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts

Posted 05 June 2024 - 06:25 AM

Not saying players don't matter, or execution doesn't matter. But Harbaugh and <fill in OC name> chokes in January. It's been a long running issue. Ridiculous and incompetent offensive game plans. Multiple blown second half 2 TD leads (offensive scheme also plays in to protecting leads), @PIT and @NE. Never forget that in SB 47 they had a 22 point lead and possession after a SF punt in the 3rd quarter... and had to rely on Jimmy Smith wrestling Crabtree on a 4th and goal, followed by a "walk off free kick" to NOT earn the biggest blown lead in SB history.

The reality will remain... DeCosta and the personnel office will stock the roster with a lot of talent every year.  Barring injuries, that talent will win enough games to make the playoffs.  What happens at that point is a crap shoot, because you never know what foolishness will unfold as soon as Harbs and company panic over something as soon as they're in an elimination game scenario.

• bmore_ken likes this

#20 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,891 posts

Posted 13 June 2024 - 01:46 PM

I still say the offensive game plan cost them the AFC Championship.  Beyond stupid and inexplicable.  Any rationalizations on here are not going to change my mind. 

Same here. 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=