#41 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:35 AM

ESPN: Why the Indians' success won't last (Insider)

http://insider.espn....uccess-last-mlb

Feels like an article about the O's from last summer. A major difference is our offense had better players than Ryan Raburn.

It seems the national media likes the O's moves more than the BSL boards?

I sure liked what we did. I mean, it would have been great to get a true ace, but that wasn't happening. Bud was a very astute pick up, IMHO. Not a huge fan of the Delmonico trade, especially given how we've used K-Rod, but I wasn't a big believer in Delmonico anyway, so meh.

Very surprised Cleveland has DFA'd Marky Mark. I'd be open to bringing him back for sure. I don't think we should rely on Meat at this point.

#42 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,234 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:42 AM

Brittany Ghiroli @Britt_Ghiroli 10m

Reynolds signed with Indians this winter. Had always wanted to return to Baltimore. Wonder if Os take a flier now.

Why not?

#43 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:54 AM

Many want Urrita back in AAA, is Reynolds a clear upgrade? (yes, I know ones a left and one is a righty but someone would need to go).

@levineps

#44 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

The Indians' pitching is really quite pathetic outside of Masterson and (maybe) Salazar. 

"We're not going to be f***ing suck this year" - Alex Ovechkin

@BaltimoreDavey

#45 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:25 PM

The Indians' pitching is really quite pathetic outside of Masterson and (maybe) Salazar. 

Yep. This ass whooping by the Tigers has to be pretty deflating for them.

#46 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 08 August 2013 - 07:29 PM

Yep. This ass whooping by the Tigers has to be pretty deflating for them.

I think the Indians are already on Position Player Pitching Watch after last night's shenanigans. Either that or Matt Albers Pitching Watch. No real difference. 

@BaltimoreDavey

#47 Matt

Matt

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,571 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:05 PM

I hope they have a good amount of games left against Detroit, they are owned by them.

#48 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:21 PM

I hope they have a good amount of games left against Detroit, they are owned by them.

Just 3 games at Detroit Labor Day weekend, then we're playing them Labor Day to Sept.4. Hopefully they lose 6 games in the standings.

They got a relatively easy schedule left - they do have 6 against the Royals so hopefully they'll cancel each other out there. And they have to play the Braves at the end of the month (which is a good thing since the Braves will likely be playing for homefield advantage at that point still). West Coast trip in a week against the Angels&A's. But in September they get to end season with four against the Twins, six against the White Sox, and four against the Astros.

@levineps

#49 FlavaDave10

FlavaDave10

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  • LocationBalmer

Posted 09 August 2013 - 08:40 AM

Ryan Raburn pitched a 1-2-3 inning last night. He even struck out that guy whose last name I would butcher if I attempted to spell. I think we need a topic for "Position Players Pitching". 

@BaltimoreDavey

#50 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:43 AM

Cleveland is currently a 1/2 game behind the O's. They start a weekend series in Detroit.

#51 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:16 AM

Grantland: Cleveland rocks
http://www.grantland...ranks-mlb-teams

#52 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 11:28 AM

Last year Michael Bourn posted an fWAR of 6.2, worth $27.7M in production according to FanGraphs.

This year, Bourn has a fWAR of 1.8.

The primary differences? His BB% has decreased from 10.0% to 6.9%, and most importantly; his UZR/150 has decreased from 23.4 last year to 2.5 this year.

Does anyone believe his defensive value has changed that much in a year?

#53 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:00 PM

Last year Michael Bourn posted an fWAR of 6.2, worth $27.7M in production according to FanGraphs.

This year, Bourn has a fWAR of 1.8.

The primary differences? His BB% has decreased from 10.0% to 6.9%, and most importantly; his UZR/150 has decreased from 23.4 last year to 2.5 this year.

Does anyone believe his defensive value has changed that much in a year?

Reasons like that I don't trust defensive metrics.
@JeremyMStrain

#54 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:11 PM

Not a big fan either, any defensive metrics you think are decent though? If so, what?

@levineps

#55 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 02 September 2013 - 12:59 PM

Do you trust batting numbers when they fluctuate year-to-year?

@DJ_McCann

#56 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Not a big fan either, any defensive metrics you think are decent though? If so, what?

I mean I like the path they are on, so I look at them all loosely but don't like to use any like an actual statistic. I look at stats like facts being reported and defensive metrics are closer to opinions, no matter how highly qualified the people judging are. I tend to use runs saved if I have to use one, but they all have hiccups. Great for a guide though.
@JeremyMStrain

#57 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:23 PM

Do you trust batting numbers when they fluctuate year-to-year?

Batting numbers are what they are, they are pure results of at bats. Defensive stats are people reviewing and assigning value.

I also like to look and see the reasons with fluctuating stats. There's a difference between stats just fluctuating and being affected by playing time, injuries, or whatever.

To me, if there was a camera say on top of the upper deck facing down on the field, and you could digitally map zones based on the starting point and ending point of a player's movement (I know it's hard to explain in writing over the internet) I would feel slightly better, but then someone still has to judge the difficulty of the play in particular. No two fly balls are the same, no two line drives are the same, then weather, field conditions, and SO many other variables enter into things. For loose reporting and following, I don't see anything wrong with how things are right now as long as you treat them closer to a play official scored, than as a factual hard number. Also don't think they should be included in WAR calculations. They are better as a non-component that you can look at in conjunction with WAR instead of included in it. I mean, how much more terrible does someone have to be from one year to the next to have -21 more dWAR, and how were they THAT good to accumulate 24+ dWAR in the first place? There are just too many little instances like this where you ask for what accounts for that and no one is entirely sure.

I think someone over at fangraphs said it best on Twitter a little while back (paraphrasing) that they weren't perfect, but they were the best of what we had at the moment, so take them knowing that.

@JeremyMStrain

#58 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:29 PM

Batting numbers are what they are, they are pure results of at bats. Defensive stats are people reviewing and assigning value.

I also like to look and see the reasons with fluctuating stats. There's a difference between stats just fluctuating and being affected by playing time, injuries, or whatever.

To me, if there was a camera say on top of the upper deck facing down on the field, and you could digitally map zones based on the starting point and ending point of a player's movement (I know it's hard to explain in writing over the internet) I would feel slightly better, but then someone still has to judge the difficulty of the play in particular. No two fly balls are the same, no two line drives are the same, then weather, field conditions, and SO many other variables enter into things. For loose reporting and following, I don't see anything wrong with how things are right now as long as you treat them closer to a play official scored, than as a factual hard number. Also don't think they should be included in WAR calculations. They are better as a non-component that you can look at in conjunction with WAR instead of included in it. I mean, how much more terrible does someone have to be from one year to the next to have -21 more dWAR, and how were they THAT good to accumulate 24+ dWAR in the first place? There are just too many little instances like this where you ask for what accounts for that and no one is entirely sure.

I think someone over at fangraphs said it best on Twitter a little while back (paraphrasing) that they weren't perfect, but they were the best of what we had at the moment, so take them knowing that.

I was hoping you would say something like that. It's what I figured you meant, but there is a difference between, "I don't trust defensive metrics," and, "I don't trust defensive metric because..."

Brooksbaseball.net really needs to get crackin' on FieldF/X availability.

@DJ_McCann

#59 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 02:33 PM

I was hoping you would say something like that. It's what I figured you meant, but there is a difference between, "I don't trust defensive metrics," and, "I don't trust defensive metric because..."

Brooksbaseball.net really needs to get crackin' on FieldF/X availability.

Yeah sorry, I've had the discussion about them so many times at various places I feel like people are tired of hearing me talk about them so I just keep it short now :)

Yeah I'm excited for the Field F/X stuff too, should be really cool.

@JeremyMStrain

#60 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:02 PM

Yeah sorry, I've had the discussion about them so many times at various places I feel like people are tired of hearing me talk about them so I just keep it short now :)

Yeah I'm excited for the Field F/X stuff too, should be really cool.

I hadn't heard it, but I get it.
@DJ_McCann

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=