22 replies to this topic

#21 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,809 posts

Posted 01 May 2024 - 07:46 PM

I think the notion that it was Lamar's fault for all of the pass plays comes from a Harbaugh statement soon after the AFCC loss.  He said something to the effect that many of the plays were designed to go pass or run depending on what Lamar saw at the line of scrimmage.  Unless someone from the Ravens wants to break down how many run first plays were switched by Lamar to pass, we can really never know whether it was in Monken's game plan to run first and Lamar changed it many times, or it was Lamar simply going with a pass heavy game plan.  But Harbaugh's statement was in response to why more running plays weren't called so if the game plan had a pass heavy look then he threw Lamar under the bus by implying that it was his option to call run or pass at the line of scrimmage.

As for the label that Lamar can't win the big one, it might not be fair but that stigma will follow him until he does.  It followed Peyton in his early years until he won the SB.  It followed Elway for most of his career until he broke through.  It followed coaches like Andy Reid, Bill Cowher, and Don Shula until they won the big one.  It's the nature of sports and it's amplified in this era of big mega-contracts for QBs.   

#22 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 02:40 PM

To be honest I believe Harbaugh's statement is CYA and a bit of kaka if you ask me. Also I find it hard to believe Harbaugh gave Lamar that much control and Lamar only decided to hand off six or seven times. Might be true but I would doubt it. On top of that if Lamar's playcalling wasn't working(and it wasn't) the head coach needs to step in and adjust. And imo If Lamar is being given that kind of autonomy, Harbaugh really needs to go. And why is Monken here? To say "here's the play, run it however you want?" Why do we need him? We could have an AI do that. 

#23 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,354 posts

Posted 02 May 2024 - 03:16 PM

To be honest I believe Harbaugh's statement is CYA and a bit of kaka if you ask me. Also I find it hard to believe Harbaugh gave Lamar that much control and Lamar only decided to hand off six or seven times. Might be true but I would doubt it. On top of that if Lamar's playcalling wasn't working(and it wasn't) the head coach needs to step in and adjust. And imo If Lamar is being given that kind of autonomy, Harbaugh really needs to go. And why is Monken here? To say "here's the play, run it however you want?" Why do we need him? We could have an AI do that. 

It's all nonsense.  Sure, Lamar might have changed a few plays but it was Monken's game plan to air it out.  Truly bizarre considering how average KC's run defense was.  They're strengths were in the secondary.  Just another play-off clusterF that the Ravens will be answering to until they win another Super Bowl. 

• bmore_ken likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=