#61 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 February 2024 - 09:06 PM

I just heard the announcers say that this was a big win for Northwestern because it was yet another quad one win this year.

If Maryland is still a quad one win at this late date, then what is the freakin point of divvying up the teams into quads, other than to maintain the status quo / glass ceiling to prevent mid majors from attaining at-large bids?

Great point.

#62 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,034 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 09:16 PM

2 for 22. At home. How is that even possible?
  • SonicAttack likes this

#63 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 09:33 PM

Poor glenn and Pedro

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 09:42 PM

Great point.

There are 360+ teams. If you're using quads, as in divide by 4, even if you tier things so the top quad is a lot narrower than the lower ones there is gonna be way more than just the top-25 ranked teams in there.

Home top-30, neutral top-50 and road top-75 is the definition of Quad 1. To me that overstates the home/road advantage, but I haven't looked into it enough to feel strongly.

#65 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,645 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 10:05 PM

There are 360+ teams. If you're using quads, as in divide by 4, even if you tier things so the top quad is a lot narrower than the lower ones there is gonna be way more than just the top-25 ranked teams in there.

Home top-30, neutral top-50 and road top-75 is the definition of Quad 1. To me that overstates the home/road advantage, but I haven't looked into it enough to feel strongly.

Home top 30? Says who? Metrics that dictate that wins against inflated opponents must mean they're top 30? There's nothing top 30 about this team. At all. 

They're the 11th ranked team in the Big Ten. Like I said, it sure as hell seems the point of divvying up the teams into 'quads' is a great way to preserve the haves from the have nots. 

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 07:51 AM

Home top 30? Says who? Metrics that dictate that wins against inflated opponents must mean they're top 30? There's nothing top 30 about this team. At all. 

They're the 11th ranked team in the Big Ten. Like I said, it sure as hell seems the point of divvying up the teams into 'quads' is a great way to preserve the haves from the have nots. 

Slow down and read again.  The win was a Quad-1 win for Northwestern, who was on the road.  Maryland is not top-30.  They are barely top-75.

Here are the current rankings:

https://www.ncaa.com...ll-net-rankings

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 29 February 2024 - 07:54 AM

It’s a quad-1 win for NW while also not a quality win. I think both are clearly true.

#68 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,459 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 08:05 AM

Poor glenn and Pedro

Ha, we had a good time.  Took Zack's advice and parked in Lot 1, which gave us a good walk through the campus.  My oldest son is a junior so trying to get him to start thinking about college if he wants to go that route.  My kids were all amazed at the size of the campus.  My oldest is a MD basketball nut and has talked about trying to get in there, but I think it's a bit too big of a school for him.  We'll see.

The game itself was definitely kind of blah.  Very little energy in the building and obviously they didn't play particularly well, but still a good experience for our annual trek.  I really want to get him to a big game with a packed house, he hasn't really experienced that yet.

• Mike B, mdrunning and SonicAttack like this

#69 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:04 AM

Another fugly game.  We shall see if Queen and Palmer and whatever portal adds Willard brings in will make any difference in the O next season. I'll give Willard a pass for the season, but it has not been encouraging to say the least.  

#70 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:12 AM

I wouldn't expect much of anything from Palmer. He's lower rated than Lamothe and he barely gets any playing time.

They'll need Queen to be an immediate impact player, DHS and Kaiser to improve greatly, and a couple impact portal guards. If Reese leaves they'll also need some big depth.... you can't rely on Queen, Traore, and Swanton-Rodger.
  • SonicAttack likes this

#71 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,670 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 10:15 AM

Kaiser has attempted 135 FG on the year, 99 of those from 3. He's a 24% 3PT shooter. Why is a guy who's such a bad 3Pt shooter early on attempting the majority of his shots from the 3? Does he have no mid range game either?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=