74 replies to this topic

#21 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 27 February 2024 - 10:10 AM

And if you're going to belabor the whole "play makers" mantra, how about your best one, Lamar Jackson, use his frickin legs to move the chains and keep the defense off balance.  What good are play makers when you become blatantly one-dimensional?  Especially against a secondary as talented as KC had.  It was a stupid game plan, it failed, and it's on to 2024 with the usual excuses. 

• bmore_ken and 85Knight like this

#22 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 February 2024 - 01:53 PM

When your best playmakers are Lamar, Andrews, Likely and Flowers, it's a lot easier to justify trying to go to them in high pressure situations over Gus Edwards and Justice Hill. However, if your RB is also your top playmaker, it's a lot harder for the OC to simply avoid getting the ball in his hands.

I don't want Barkley, as talented as he is, we don't need another Uber talented RB on IR. Don't really want Henry or Eckler either. Both looked about done last season. If we go the FA route, I'd go with Jacobs. But I'd rather spend the money elsewhere on the roster.

Optimally, you bring Dobbins back cheap if you can. Then draft someone early on. Then hope Mitchell comes back with the same explosion he had before his injury. That would give you 3 very talented RB's on top of Hill on the depth chart, without breaking the bank.

The Titans offensive line is *terrible* though.  Over the last 5 games, he averaged 2.21, 1.69, 3.21, 3.83, and 6.83 yards after contact per attempt.  That's 1 mediocre game, 1 bad game, and 3 good games.  (the last game you could argue was a great game but I'm assuming that his yards after contact were boosted by breaking off a 70 yard run.)  I'm leaning toward the line opening nothing for him.  He still managed to salvage some yards despite his line.

To put it in perspective: Keaton Mitchell managed 2.74 yards per carry before contact, while Henry averaged 0.85.  If Henry can continue to gain 3 yards after contact he instantly becomes a 5-6 YPC rusher on the Ravens.  Edwards and Hill aren't quite as rosy, but Edwards had a lot of short yardage situations where he needed 1 yard and got 1, and Hill is still over 2 yards before contact.  So just by playing on our OL he would have to fall completely off a cliff not to provide elite running success rates.

#23 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 06:19 AM

The Titans offensive line is *terrible* though. Over the last 5 games, he averaged 2.21, 1.69, 3.21, 3.83, and 6.83 yards after contact per attempt. That's 1 mediocre game, 1 bad game, and 3 good games. (the last game you could argue was a great game but I'm assuming that his yards after contact were boosted by breaking off a 70 yard run.) I'm leaning toward the line opening nothing for him. He still managed to salvage some yards despite his line.

To put it in perspective: Keaton Mitchell managed 2.74 yards per carry before contact, while Henry averaged 0.85. If Henry can continue to gain 3 yards after contact he instantly becomes a 5-6 YPC rusher on the Ravens. Edwards and Hill aren't quite as rosy, but Edwards had a lot of short yardage situations where he needed 1 yard and got 1, and Hill is still over 2 yards before contact. So just by playing on our OL he would have to fall completely off a cliff not to provide elite running success rates.

2 completely different style RB's. Henry doesn't possess great acceleration. Mitchell does. Ravens O-line is better. But the difference between what Mitchell did vs Henry before contact is definitely effected by the fact that Mitchell has borderline elite acceleration vs Henry's very average acceleration.

#24 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 February 2024 - 02:49 PM

2 completely different style RB's. Henry doesn't possess great acceleration. Mitchell does. Ravens O-line is better. But the difference between what Mitchell did vs Henry before contact is definitely effected by the fact that Mitchell has borderline elite acceleration vs Henry's very average acceleration.

Edwards was at 1.38 yards before contact, you'd have trouble convincing me that Edwards is a faster accelerator than Henry.  Hill was at 2.  Even if Edwards is a more likely scenario, then he's still a 5 YPC runner with the Ravens.  If he gets to HIll's or Mitchell's number then he's a 6 YPC runner.

#25 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 03:51 PM

Edwards was at 1.38 yards before contact, you'd have trouble convincing me that Edwards is a faster accelerator than Henry. Hill was at 2. Even if Edwards is a more likely scenario, then he's still a 5 YPC runner with the Ravens. If he gets to HIll's or Mitchell's number then he's a 6 YPC runner.

That's a fair point.

#26 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,871 posts

Posted 05 March 2024 - 11:51 PM

I'm looking forward to them paying Henry $10M and rushing him 5 times in the playoffs. Good times. 

#27 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 08:26 AM

I'm looking forward to them paying Henry $10M and rushing him 5 times in the playoffs. Good times. 

Good one.  If they do sign Henry, would that automatically mean the demise of Gus or do they bring him back and have the two of them pulverize defenses throughout the game?  That would be a pretty intense two-headed beast to take on for 4 quarters.  Then add a faster back to stretch the field.  Who knows what kind of dependability they have in Dobbins should they decide to bring him back or how long it's going to take Mitchell to regain his form.  I still think they draft a running back. 

#28 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 10:01 AM

The chances of Gus re-signing dropped a good bit when they didnt get him done last week and took on the dead money. Unlike Zeitler or Agholat, we never heard that they tried to get something dome with him.

#29 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 10:04 AM

The chances of Gus re-signing dropped a good bit when they didnt get him done last week and took on the dead money. Unlike Zeitler or Agholat, we never heard that they tried to get something dome with him.

It's never really felt like they like Gus all that much despite the production in the past. With the production (YPC, still a ton of TDs) dropping in '23, not surprised they aren't interested in a reunion. Don't fully understand their evaluation.

#30 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 06 March 2024 - 10:28 AM

It's never really felt like they like Gus all that much despite the production in the past. With the production (YPC, still a ton of TDs) dropping in '23, not surprised they aren't interested in a reunion. Don't fully understand their evaluation.

I'm not trying to say scoring TDs is easy, but 7 of his TDs were 1 yard, and 12 were 4 or less (a 7 yarder was his other one). I feel like the TD number is kind of an anomaly and could easily have been far less.

Dropping to 4.1 YPC is pretty close to being replacement level in this offense IMO, given Hill was a half yard better and I feel like Hill is basically that level.

Also, in the past I was always confident in him when we needed a tough 2 yards. I feel like, completely anecdotally as I don't have stats, he isn't as good at that anymore (though maybe the TDs prove that wrong).

Anyway, I do agree that it seemed like they never liked him as much as I did, but I think moving on is justified at this point unless he wants to come back on a really cheap deal.

#31 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 11:12 AM

Think we have to look at this as our big FA move. Dont expect a significant signing this week

Ravens apparently serious suitors for Saquan.

#32 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 11:45 AM

Rumors are all over the place regarding RB.  For the last week I've been hearing Henry to Baltimore is all but a done deal.  Then there's Barkley rumors. 

Personally I think the better move is find a RB that fits the template in the draft.   Henry's like a 5 year old car with 200,000 miles on it.  It's been run hard so it's fair to wonder how many more miles it has left.  Barkley's a car with a lot less miles, but it always seems to be in the shop.  

That position in the Raven's offense is always going to split time with the QB as long as that QB is named Jackson.  It would be stupid not to use Jackson in that capacity given how dangerous and unpredictable he makes the Ravens offense when used that way.  I wouldn't spend a ton of money on the position.  I would prioritize other positions and see what I can find in the draft.  The Oline's more important than the guy running behind it.  But that's just my opinion.  

#33 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 12:23 PM

Anyone recall many big Ravens signings that were heavily rumored before it happened? Seems like they usually strike from anonymity, if they do anything.
  • bmore_ken and cprenegade like this

#34 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 10 March 2024 - 02:52 PM

Ravens apparently serious suitors for Saquan.

If I knew Barkley was going to be healthy all year, sure, he would be my preference but what are the odds of that happening?  Not good. So, for that reason, I'd rather have Henry. 

#35 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 09:26 AM

If I knew Barkley was going to be healthy all year, sure, he would be my preference but what are the odds of that happening? Not good. So, for that reason, I'd rather have Henry.

I'd rather have Jacobs over both, if we were to sign a FA. Personally I'd prefer bringing Dobbins back and drafting someone in the 2nd. Dobbins, Mitchell and one of Corum/Brooks/Benson/Estime.

#36 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,222 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 11:04 AM

I'd rather have Jacobs over both, if we were to sign a FA. Personally I'd prefer bringing Dobbins back and drafting someone in the 2nd. Dobbins, Mitchell and one of Corum/Brooks/Benson/Estime.

Dobbins may very well bolt anyway but even if he can't find any suitors and agrees to resign a one-year, in good faith contract to prove he's healthy, how can you expect anything substantive from him?  Also, I doubt the Ravens draft a running back in the 2nd round. Maybe the 3rd or 4th round if someone decent is available.  It also depends on whether they can sign one of the free agents.  Jacobs would be a nice addition but he's going to cost more money than Barkley(injury history) or Henry(age).  My guess is they sign a free agent and then draft another back in the later rounds.  Mitchell may not be full strength until mid-season so he's another problem. 

#37 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 12:51 PM

You wouldn't bring back Dobbins back because you were planning on relying on him.
You'd bring him back because the price is right, system familiarity, and the talent is still high. 
His history says he would struggle to be available.
But if you aren't relying on him, he could be a piece... and it's possible everything could come up aces and he could have a lot of impact.

• Biggsy likes this

#38 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 01:20 PM

I'd love to have Dobbins back but I get the vibe that he's salty with the organization, fairly or not, and wouldn't come back unless he has no other alternatives.  

#39 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 01:37 PM

I'd love to have Dobbins back but I get the vibe that he's salty with the organization, fairly or not, and wouldn't come back unless he has no other alternatives.

Yeah I'd be surprised if that ship hasn't sailed. I think I recall he got as vocal as any Raven seems to get after last year's playoff game in Cincy where he never touched the ball on the infamous 4th quarter goal line set of downs. Plus he seemed to want a contract in line with an alternate reality version of himself that was highly reliable and durable. I'm sure not getting that deal, then his season blew up... not highly confident a return is in the cards. That said, if he doesn't get what he wants elsewhere and is willing to return at whatever EDC and company value as fair... fine with me. Just that injury habit...

#40 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,284 posts

Posted 11 March 2024 - 01:42 PM

I'm not sure he'll have many options. Market is saturated at RB, and the draft has a lot of good prospects.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=