#1 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 December 2023 - 09:54 AM

Following a tight victory over Nicholls on Tuesday night, Maryland will travel to Southern California for a Friday night matchup against UCLA at historic Pauley Pavilion. They have yet to win away from College Park this season, and will be facing off against a Bruins team that's hit a bit of a rough patch. Mick Cronin's team is currently sitting with a record of 5-5 (0-0) and has lost three straight games, including a massive upset at the hands of Cal State Northridge on Tuesday night.

UCLA lost most of the talent from last year's Sweet Sixteen squad, and are relying on a number of underclassmen this season. 4-star freshman guard Sebastian Mack is a very talented player and leads them in scoring, but his shooting has been inconsistent so far. As a team they're shooting just 43% from the field, including 32% from beyond the arc. As is typical of a Cronin-coached team, they're led by their effort on the defensive end and rank as a borderline Top-25 defensive unit according to KenPom.

The legendary Bill Walton will be on the call for ESPN2 in this one, so at least the broadcast will be entertaining regardless of the action on the court.

KenPom Rankings

• Maryland: #78 (#159 AdjO, #25 AdjD; #261 AdjT)
  • UCLA: #76 (#146 AdjO, #26 AdjD; #298 AdjT)

• BSLChrisStoner likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#2 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 12:25 PM

KenPom Rankings

• Maryland: #79 (#166 AdjO, #23 AdjD; #271 AdjT)
  • UCLA: #77 (#153 AdjO, #25 AdjD; #301 AdjT)

Kenpom  has this as a tossup.  Should be a good game.

#3 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,457 posts

Posted 20 December 2023 - 01:07 PM

Even last year when things were going well they couldn't do a thing on the road. UCLA seems down too but on the road I'm not optimistic. 

#4 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,678 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 December 2023 - 01:22 PM

LosAngelesSportsandLife is probably saying the same things about this game only substituting UCLA for Maryland.

UCLA has been a dumpster fire this year.  Lost to Cal State Northridge last night and beat UC Riverside by a point.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#5 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 20 December 2023 - 02:00 PM

The legendary Bill Walton will be on the call for ESPN2 in this one, so at least the broadcast will be entertaining regardless of the action on the court.

Not many chances left for him to boast about "The Conference of Champions." Wonder if Oregon State/Washington State get custody, or he goes to the Big Ten with his alma mater.

#6 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 December 2023 - 03:14 PM

The Terps will have to play much better than they did last night, but this is a winnable game.  Winning in Pauley Pavilion should be motivation enough.

@mikeghg

#7 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 20 December 2023 - 03:22 PM

Not many chances left for him to boast about "The Conference of Champions." Wonder if Oregon State/Washington State get custody, or he goes to the Big Ten with his alma mater.

I wonder if he will continue to call the Big 10 schools truckstop schools.  Walton was a Great player but he is a tool.

@mikeghg

#8 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 21 December 2023 - 06:56 PM

Maryland's YouTube channel just posted a good conversation between Len Elmore and Bill Walton ahead of this game.

• SonicAttack likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#9 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2023 - 08:48 AM

UCLA enters this game as 3.5-point favorites. ESPN gives them a 63.9% chance to win.
@BSLZackKiesel

#10 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 10:38 AM

Len had some nice things to say about Cronin, and I agree.  He didn't say much about Kevin, other then his dad was a fiery PG.  He just knows Mick better.  Anyway, I like the Terps to win this game, but I expect a loss.  Money on UMD, but....  If Kaiser and DHS hit their shots, and limit their own turnovers, then Terps win. 

#11 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 07:10 PM

The first of what will probably be an annual trip to the West Coast. I hope Willard is paying attention to what works and what doesn't as far as adjusting to the long plane rides and time zone changes for future seasons when, hopefully, there are higher expectations and the games take on more meaning as conference matchups.

#12 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2023 - 07:33 PM

The first of what will probably be an annual trip to the West Coast. I hope Willard is paying attention to what works and what doesn't as far as adjusting to the long plane rides and time zone changes for future seasons when, hopefully, there are higher expectations and the games take on more meaning as conference matchups.

Pretty sure they flew out on Wednesday evening, because I know Willard had them in the gym and practicing in Los Angeles on Thursday. Believe that's a day earlier than they typically travel for road games, which makes sense.

@BSLZackKiesel

#13 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,527 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 07:45 PM

Pretty sure they flew out on Wednesday evening, because I know Willard had them in the gym and practicing in Los Angeles on Thursday. Believe that's a day earlier than they typically travel for road games, which makes sense.

In future seasons I could see them having two games per season out West. It'd be nice if the Big Ten would simply schedule it so one year they play at the LA schools back-to-back on like Thursday/Saturday or Friday/Sunday, then the next year do the same at the PNW schools. But if there's one certainty in the conference realignment era it is that they will do the dumbest thing imaginable if that is what also happens to make the most money.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#14 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2023 - 08:43 PM

Starting Five: Young, Harris-Smith, Scott, Geronimo, Reese
@BSLZackKiesel

#15 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2023 - 08:58 PM

This game will begin on ESPNews due to the G-League game running long.
@BSLZackKiesel

#16 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2023 - 09:09 PM

Young with a hot start from beyond the arc.
@BSLZackKiesel

#17 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2023 - 09:15 PM

Early 9-1 run for Maryland.
@BSLZackKiesel

#18 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,132 posts

Posted 22 December 2023 - 09:23 PM

Early still, but the Terps appear to be the less bad team.

#19 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2023 - 09:28 PM

Neither team is going to have enough players to finish the game at this rate. Refs are averaging more than a foul per minute thus far.
@BSLZackKiesel

#20 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,361 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 22 December 2023 - 09:31 PM

Young doing everything in his power to ensure we don’t see a repeat of last year’s game. 13 points in 10 minutes.
@BSLZackKiesel

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=