315 replies to this topic

#241 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 03:45 AM

Good luck finding anyone who watched Clemson and would describe Wiggins as a physical player. He's slight and has room to add bulk, so maybe if/when he does that he'll be a more physical player, but he's not that now.

I watched Clemson. I saw a CB who was surprisingly good in press coverage and at winning at the catch point despite a WR's size. He is slender, he gets pushed around because of that. No doubt. That doesn't mean he doesn't play with physicality. Big difference between being a finesse player, and being a light player. Biggest one being the willingness to initiate contact, and play through it. Wiggins was never afraid of contact, he just wasn't good at it. lol

#242 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 06:31 AM

Analysis: Wiggins' recovery speed stood out on tape and was confirmed with a 4.28-second 40-yard dash at the NFL Scouting Combine. He's not a physical tackler but is competitive at the catch point. Wiggins weighed just 173 pounds (measuring 6-foot-1 3/8 inch) at the combine, which is reminiscent of last year's lean first-round corner for Washington, Emmanuel Forbes, who struggled as a rookie. The Ravens passed on Kool-Aid McKinstry to pick Wiggins and did not address the offensive tackle position despite Ronnie Stanley's injury history and the trade of Morgan Moses.

#243 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 26 April 2024 - 06:35 AM

Every corner doesn't have to be physical in run support. Sure, it helps but it will be nice to have a pure cover CB that can run with fast WRs. Definitely a bit of a gift at 30.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#244 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 06:55 AM

Every corner doesn't have to be physical in run support. Sure, it helps but it will be nice to have a pure cover CB that can run with fast WRs. Definitely a bit of a gift at 30.

Once again, a semantics game, but it's not that he's not physical. He's more than willing to make contact. He's just light. Think this "finesse player" moniker is flat out wrong. He's not Dieon Sanders. I do like the comparison to Forbes. Forbes is the same way, not scared to get physical, just doesn't have the size. Also, he was surprisingly effective at press coverage for weighing what he does, and having some poor technique that could be fixed there.

I'm just going off of what I've watched with him. My eyes have certainly lied to me before, so it's possible I'm just not seeing things that smarter people do see.

Surprised they took Wiggins over Dejean. Dejean has the same kind of versatility that Hamilton offers. Seemed like a perfect fit to come in and move around line a chess piece just like Hamilton.
  • makoman likes this

#245 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:08 AM

A lot of good offensive lineman left too. Wonder if the Ravens looked to move up to grab a potential starter on the interior?

#246 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:27 AM

Yeah my impression, based only on reading after the pick, is he’s perfectly fine playing with physicality he’s just limited there by being so light. He’s only 20 so he certainly could fill out, hopefully he can do that and maintain the sub 4.3.

#247 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:33 AM

The Ringer: Winners and Losers of the First Round of the 2024 NFL Draft

The Ringer: Grading Every First-Round Pick in the 2024 NFL Draft

The Ringer: Ranking the Best Available Players Heading Into NFL Draft Day Two

#248 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:36 AM

ESPN: Ravens pick Nate Wiggins in NFL draft after Dabo Swinney text

https://www.espn.com...bo-swinney-text

#249 Cisc-O's

Cisc-O's

Back by no demand

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationFresh Prince of .......

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:38 AM

I guess I have missed a lot in my absence.  I saw Pedro call two, nickle and then looked at a banned bnickle profile.  You guys are crazy lol.

I like the Wiggins pick.  Ravens always find the gems by going opposite of the league sentiment.  While it seems like BPA I am not so sure its as easy as that.

I think we look for the standout RT's maybe the kid from ND.  We can always move Falala over to left or Mekari if Stanley goes down.  

Still some decent Wideouts but I doubt we hear one called early based on other needs and players.  

<p>I am pretty sure Shack is thinking of PBR.

#250 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:39 AM

ESPN+: Round 2 Mock

https://www.espn.com...eam-predictions

#251 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,321 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:42 AM

CBS Sports: Winners and Losers From Round 1

https://www.cbssport...-has-a-bad-day/

CBS Sports: Overreactions, reality checks

https://www.cbssport...r-j-j-mccarthy/

CBS Sports: What we learned from Round 1

https://www.cbssport...st-their-setup/

#252 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,300 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:43 AM

A lot of good offensive lineman left too. Wonder if the Ravens looked to move up to grab a potential starter on the interior?

I'll trust that Wiggins was a 1st round pick that they thoroughly analyzed and coveted.  And my guess is that EDC also felt the OL represented in rounds 1-3 weren't all that diverse in talent level, thus having the confidence that they can still find a few that could potentially start.  We'll see.  He also might be targeting free agents for the OL.

#253 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 07:46 AM

I guess this is PFF. Crazy coverage ratings for Wiggins.

https://twitter.com/...dOLl1vEEQw&s=19

#254 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 11:04 AM

Don't really follow the college game anymore, but I'm only hearing good things about him. And since Humphries seems to have a problem staying on the field, looks like a  good DeCosta move.

#255 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 11:07 AM

They seemed really pumped to get him last night in the presser. EDC said they had options to move back but if Wiggins was there he knew he was going to draft him. Said he didnt expect him to be there going into the night and that one of his model guys was telling him that we would get one of the players we had between 13-20 on our board and that happened. So, Wiggins was no lower than 20th on our board

#256 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,402 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 11:17 AM

EDC said they were hoping to walk away with either an OL or CB in round 1. I think all the OL they wouldve considered at 30 were gone though. Pretty sure they were trading back if Wiggins wasnt there. He said if Nate wasnt there they were going to weigh drafting 1 other guy they had in mind or trading the pick

#257 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 11:42 AM

Already annoyed by the "Dabo Swinney called the Ravens" nonsense. Anyone who thinks a draft day phone call from a player's coach influences anything that DeCosta and Co do knows absolutely nothing about this franchise. I have no trouble believing Dabo called the Ravens, and I'd assume also called several other teams. By the idea that they made the pick in any part because of the call is idiotic. Dabo's input over the last few weeks would certainly be a factor in their evaluation, but it's just noise on draft day.
  • Hooded Viper and Mike B like this

#258 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:09 PM

Agreed.  I am sure Swinney sent a text, but if the Ravens didn't a;ready want Wiggins, they would have gone elsewhere.

The Ravens turned the pick in, immediately even though they had numerous trade chances.  They wanted Wiggins.

@mikeghg

#259 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,841 posts

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:15 PM

Didn't the media always overhype the Ravens/ Ozzie/ Alabama/ Saban connection? We heard it every time they drafted someone from Alabama.

#260 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 April 2024 - 12:23 PM

Already annoyed by the "Dabo Swinney called the Ravens" nonsense. Anyone who thinks a draft day phone call from a player's coach influences anything that DeCosta and Co do knows absolutely nothing about this franchise. I have no trouble believing Dabo called the Ravens, and I'd assume also called several other teams. By the idea that they made the pick in any part because of the call is idiotic. Dabo's input over the last few weeks would certainly be a factor in their evaluation, but it's just noise on draft day.

That's probably coming from Dabo's camp, whose program has fallen off of late due in no small part to his refusal to use the transfer portal....probably wants to get the message out to HS recruits saying, "Look at that, I just texted an NFL team about one of our guys and they drafted him without hesitation."

• Mike B and ivanbalt like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=