• BSLChrisStoner and DuffMan like this

#2 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,300 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 07:49 AM

Yesterday was very frustrating to watch Monken flounder. They were begging for the Ravens to run it down their throats. 3, sometimes only 2 down lineman, lining Whyte in the A gap alone multiple times, Having safeties playing in the box. All Monken had to do was go heavy and start punching them in the mouth with Edwards, and they'd have to abandon their drop 8 game plan. But he refused. It was the inverse of a Roman game. The easy adjustment was so obvious, and Monken refused. First drive of the second half is a perfect example, start with a 5 yard run, them 4 straight passes and a punt.

#3 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 09:27 AM

It's weird saying this because it's usually the opposite, but Lamar stayed in the pocket far too long at times.  The Cards gave him open running lanes with opportunities to run for what looked like could be big gains as they dropped onto coverage, but Lamar stayed in the pocket looking to throw.  It's good that he is now being more patient, the next step is to realize quickly when there isn't a receiver open and take the clear running lane.   Still, he played well. 

#4 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 09:33 AM

It's weird saying this because it's usually the opposite, but Lamar stayed in the pocket far too long at times.  The Cards gave him open running lanes with opportunities to run for what looked like could be big gains as they dropped onto coverage, but Lamar stayed in the pocket looking to throw.  It's good that he is now being more patient, the next step is to realize quickly when there isn't a receiver open and take the clear running lane.   Still, he played well. 

It's not the opposite though. That's been him for a few years. I thought once the contract was signed , he'd go back to who he was. 

#5 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 10:33 AM

It's not the opposite though. That's been him for a few years. I thought once the contract was signed , he'd go back to who he was. 

He pulled the sheet over early years Lamar a while back.  Those days are over.  It's either he completes the pass, misses the target or gets sacked.  Take your pick. 

#6 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 10:47 AM

He pulled the sheet over early years Lamar a while back.  Those days are over.  It's either he completes the pass, misses the target or gets sacked.  Take your pick. 

So annoying with how fast he is. It's like taking a weapon off the field. 

#7 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 11:11 AM

So annoying with how fast he is. It's like taking a weapon off the field. 

And the irony is he's gotten hurt in the pocket, not running down the field where he rarely takes any direct hits.  Oh well, it was fun to watch when it was here. 

#8 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,151 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 11:25 AM

I think Lamar has been scrambling a lot this year.  I know you guys like to complain, and yesterday he certainly took some slow-developing sacks that shouldn't happen often, but think the criticism of Lamar not scrambling this year is misplaced. 

Do any of the play log databases distinguish between scrambles and other runs for QBs?  I can find that Hurts (78) and Lamar (74) are miles ahead of anyone else in the league in terms of total attempts (no others have even reached 50).  But having trouble finding that broken down into scrambles versus designed runs.

#9 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,480 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 11:34 AM

I think Lamar has been scrambling a lot this year.  I know you guys like to complain, and yesterday he certainly took some slow-developing sacks that shouldn't happen often, but think the criticism of Lamar not scrambling this year is misplaced. 

Do any of the play log databases distinguish between scrambles and other runs for QBs?  I can find that Hurts (78) and Lamar (74) are miles ahead of anyone else in the league in terms of total attempts (no others have even reached 50).  But having trouble finding that broken down into scrambles versus designed runs.

I broke this down two weeks ago. As of then he was scrambling more often than ever in his career. According to pro-football reference at least. PFR has this under advanced passing, pressure, and it's still over 12%.

https://forum.baltim...talk/?p=1119994

• Mackus likes this

#10 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 30 October 2023 - 11:35 AM

I think Lamar has been scrambling a lot this year. I know you guys like to complain, and yesterday he certainly took some slow-developing sacks that shouldn't happen often, but think the criticism of Lamar not scrambling this year is misplaced.

Do any of the play log databases distinguish between scrambles and other runs for QBs? I can find that Hurts (78) and Lamar (74) are miles ahead of anyone else in the league in terms of total attempts (no others have even reached 50). But having trouble finding that broken down into scrambles versus designed runs.

Lamar has 31 scrambles.

Jalen Hulu has live sports has 21.

See the pic for the top-10ish list in scrambles.

I think Lamar's number is a bit deceiving because I think they have some RPO type plays where Lamar makes 1 or 2 reads and then runs, that are counted as scrambles.

Attached File  Screenshot_20231030_093356_Chrome.jpg   174.39K   5 downloads

• Mackus likes this

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,672 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 11:54 AM

I think Lamar has been scrambling a lot this year. I know you guys like to complain, and yesterday he certainly took some slow-developing sacks that shouldn't happen often, but think the criticism of Lamar not scrambling this year is misplaced.

Do any of the play log databases distinguish between scrambles and other runs for QBs? I can find that Hurts (78) and Lamar (74) are miles ahead of anyone else in the league in terms of total attempts (no others have even reached 50). But having trouble finding that broken down into scrambles versus designed runs.

You aint kidding. To every word of the first parapgrah

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 05:17 PM

Lamar has 31 scrambles.

Jalen Hulu has live sports has 21.

See the pic for the top-10ish list in scrambles.

I think Lamar's number is a bit deceiving because I think they have some RPO type plays where Lamar makes 1 or 2 reads and then runs, that are counted as scrambles.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20231030_093356_Chrome.jpg

All I know is what my eyes see on my tv and I'm screaming RUNNNNNNNNNN. I'll have to take you guy's word on the actual numbers. 

#13 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 05:36 PM

All I know is what my eyes see on my tv and I'm screaming RUNNNNNNNNNN. I'll have to take you guy's word on the actual numbers. 

From what I can see is that the biggest difference, despite scrambling stats, is that Lamar doesn't have that decisive, head down field mentality anymore.  He's holding on to the ball much longer and while sure, he's going to try to avoid a sack by scrambling, the window for picking up chunks of yards has closed by that point.  In his first few years, if his primary receiver was covered, he was gone.  That's what I'm seeing but I'm sure someone, as usual, will come back with a set of analytics disproving it.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#14 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 06:15 PM

Anyone see Beckham meltdown on the sidelines. Another zero catch performance. How much is he in Lamar’s ear telling him he’s open every single play? Is Lamar taking an extra second to look his way instead of tucking and running faster?

Odell can pound sand. Last thing this team needs is his horse**** attitude.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#15 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 06:28 PM

Anyone see Beckham meltdown on the sidelines. Another zero catch performance. How much is he in Lamar’s ear telling him he’s open every single play? Is Lamar taking an extra second to look his way instead of tucking and running faster?

Wasn't he pissed because he drew DPI on a touchdown pass?  It certainly didn't strike me as all that odd.  I get that he wants to make the play.  You like to see that in a player.

#16 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 06:30 PM

From what I can see is that the biggest difference, despite scrambling stats, is that Lamar doesn't have that decisive, head down field mentality anymore.  He's holding on to the ball much longer and while sure, he's going to try to avoid a sack by scrambling, the window for picking up chunks of yards has closed by that point.  In his first few years, if his primary receiver was covered, he was gone.  That's what I'm seeing but I'm sure someone, as usual, will come back with a set of analytics disproving it.  

Ehh it's not just you.

He's made it work most of the time this year.  I think he might have to adjust his expectations though when they're dropping 8 in coverage.  Chances are there isn't going to be anyone that magically gets open.  His overall and passing PFF grades are both the best they've ever been in his career this year when under pressure.  But he's breaking late and instead of gaining 10-15 yards he's gaining like 2-5.

That said his o-line should probably be keeping him cleaner against only 3 rushers.

#17 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,564 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 October 2023 - 06:31 PM

Wasn't he pissed because he drew DPI on a touchdown pass? It certainly didn't strike me as all that odd. I get that he wants to make the play. You like to see that in a player.

I’d like to see him getting actual separation more, but maybe that’s just me.

#18 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,578 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 06:35 PM

I’d like to see him getting actual separation more, but maybe that’s just me.

Sure, if we're grading him on actual performance, I'd like to see him performing better.  He's definitely not performing like a 15 million dollar WR.

#19 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,399 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 07:24 PM

He's always been a prima Donna so despite his "positive" attitude in training camp and so far in real games, he isn't suddenly going to lose his giant ego. Hopefully, we're not going to see another Earl Thomas situation but with OBJ, it wouldn't surprise me.

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,672 posts

Posted 30 October 2023 - 08:04 PM

Ehh it's not just you.

He's made it work most of the time this year. I think he might have to adjust his expectations though when they're dropping 8 in coverage. Chances are there isn't going to be anyone that magically gets open. His overall and passing PFF grades are both the best they've ever been in his career this year when under pressure. But he's breaking late and instead of gaining 10-15 yards he's gaining like 2-5.

That said his o-line should probably be keeping him cleaner against only 3 rushers.

Yup his pff rating is terrific. Hes clearly made the most of buying time. Its easy to say pull it down and run when he gets sack. Or get the ball out sooner. Of course when buying time results in big plays crickets from the fans. Its the nature of MMQBing and its annoying. Btw Lamar is obviously still the gold standard for running/scrambling from a QB but its also clear hes lost a step. Slowly seeing the decline in explosiveness

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=