Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 June 2024 - 02:41 PM

Nick Maton up and Stowers down.

I was hoping Stowers got a shot at the short porch in Yankee Stadium.

@mikeghg

#1962 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,239 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 June 2024 - 03:23 PM

I was at the game when Kjerstad played in the grand canyon that is left field at Camden Yards.  He over ran one rocket out to left, but then made 2 nice plays later in the game.

Maybe he needs to adjust to the third deck like Cowser did, although I would limit his time in LF.  He was okay in RF.

I agree with this.  I was interested to watch Kjerstad in the field given the variety of things people allude to.

LF at OPaCY just looked to big for him.  I thought his actions looked ok, speed, tracking, etc, I just think the space is bigger than his athletic profile.  That won't be true for all LFs, but certainly for home games.

RF is the opposite and, given what we've already seen, he should be fine out there.

• Mike B likes this

#1963 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,984 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 04:17 PM

Maton for Stowers makes me think Westburg is gonna be out for 3-4 days.  Once Westy's available, Maton will be optioned, probably for Kjerstad since Stowers won't be eligible unless there is another injury.

#1964 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 04:20 PM

Bradish got TJ surgery

Kyle Bradish injury update: Orioles starter undergoes Tommy John surgery in latest blow to Baltimore rotation - CBSSports.com

I can't believe we went into the season with Means and Bradish hurt and didn't bring in any insurance. Paying for it now.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1965 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,984 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 04:24 PM

Bradish got TJ surgery

Kyle Bradish injury update: Orioles starter undergoes Tommy John surgery in latest blow to Baltimore rotation - CBSSports.com

I can't believe we went into the season with Means and Bradish hurt and didn't bring in any insurance. Paying for it now.

Agree. Obviously the right move to try and get Bradish back without surgery, it even worked for a while, but felt like a mistake at the time to not have brought in Montgomery or Snell and still feels that way to me despite both of them being awful and/or hurt so far this year.

Still plenty of arms we can add via trade. But sucks to need another front half guy to feel confident about in October rather than just a solid guy to help get us there. Gonna cost us some talent to get the arm we need.

#1966 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,985 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 04:37 PM

We have depth, especially in the OF, to trade for pitching. None of them have forced their way into the majors despite their awesome springs and we seem intent to go with Hays, Mullins, Santander and Cowser for the remainder of the year barring injuries.

I am thinking Eovaldi.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#1967 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,559 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 04:39 PM

Rodriguez, Kremer, and Irvin next year? Hopefully Povich is legit.

#1968 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,866 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 June 2024 - 08:12 AM

Open the Wallet for Burnes

#1969 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,984 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 08:16 AM

Open the Wallet for Burnes

I think they're more likely to make another trade than sign a top end FA, but I'm with you and would be the high bidder for Burnes.

#1970 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,866 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 June 2024 - 08:32 AM

I think they're more likely to make another trade than sign a top end FA, but I'm with you and would be the high bidder for Burnes.

I also feel like with us giving up a potential all star in Ortiz we should make an honest effort to keep the guy we traded for, to say nothing of how great he has been to this team.

#1971 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,600 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 08:45 AM

What would a fair market deal for Burnes look like these days?

#1972 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 June 2024 - 09:01 AM

What would a fair market deal for Burnes look like these days?

The Phillies just gave Aaron Nola 7 years/$24.57M AAV and Rodon got 6 years/$27.00M AAV the prior offseason from NYY so those seem like the starting points

#1973 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,631 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 09:12 AM

As much as I'd love to see Burnes stay here, I'm really leery of those long-term mega-deals for pitchers. I'd be okay with making him the highest-paid pitcher in the game per annum, but over a shorter term.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#1974 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,984 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 09:31 AM

The Phillies just gave Aaron Nola 7 years/$24.57M AAV and Rodon got 6 years/$27.00M AAV the prior offseason from NYY so those seem like the starting points

Burnes is clearly better than both, IMO.  His consistency is such a huge value compared to guys with more volatility.  I don't know if he gets quite what Cole got, but I think he's closer to $300M than $150M.

#1975 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 10:23 AM

Burnes will get 8 years and 300-350. I'd rather spend that money on Gunnar, though they do need to address the starters in the offseason.

#1976 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 10:39 AM

Burnes will get 8 years and 300-350. I'd rather spend that money on Gunnar, though they do need to address the starters in the offseason.

Any team that gives any pitcher 8 years, deserves what they get.  That's just downright stupid with the state of arm injuries.  Even a 3-year contract is rolling the dice. 

#1977 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 10:41 AM

Any team that gives any pitcher 8 years, deserves what they get. That's just downright stupid with the state of arm injuries. Even a 3-year contract is rolling the dice.

I agree.

But they will.

#1978 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 10:42 AM

On the plus side, the bullpen should be much better next year with Bautista back.

#1979 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,551 posts

Posted 20 June 2024 - 11:03 AM

Think they will be looking for guys at this deadline that have team control next year. Will also have to be in the SP FA market this offseason.
  • russsnyder likes this

#1980 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,239 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 20 June 2024 - 12:49 PM

The mark is going to be Yamamoto's 325M.

I don't think anyone is going 40M for the extended years.  The MS and JV contracts that paid 43+/year were short (2/3 yr) deals.

Burnes can get his 330M at 10 years, but I don't think he signs it today, even if you offered it to him.  Boras can't go to another team today so he wants to take [whatever] on the open market.  He got crushed as an agent last year so he's going to want to draw new lines (this was always going to be true, especially true now) and try and reestablish some swag.  He has Burnes and Soto to do that with and he's going to want both records.

You want him to sign now?  Go to 400M.  12/400M gets it done....they don't need to float that one into FA.  Defer a bunch of it, whatever.

It's not about the Orioles, it's about Burnes.  If he wants to stay here and lead the staff and win here, then he can put together an 8/250 with deferrals and the Orioles will, more or less, have to sign it.  But that's on him to do it.

I hope Corbin is the WS MVP, take the comp pick and figure it out whatever is next in the offseason.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

3 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

mweb08, weird-O, 85Knight

Our Sponsors

width=