#1941 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,239 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 June 2024 - 03:36 PM

Skubal has 2.5 years left, and I would try to extend him. Only 27 as I recall.

Skubal is Boras, so no extensions.

#1942 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 16 June 2024 - 04:08 PM

It isn't worth the risk. I checked - Skubal's already had a TJS as well as flexor tendon surgery. His career high is 149.1 IP back in '21, and he's already at 86 IP.

I get the love, but I'm not dealing from the top of the deck for that. Especially in today's game.

I get that. The other side of that coin however could be that he has a fresh new ligament to get him through his contract. :)

I do understand the reticence to deal that kind of prospect capital for a starter, but we have a team that can win the world series, that has an obvious and glaring need at starting pitcher. You just never know how many seasons you are going to be in a position to win it all, and they already didn't capitalize last year.

Just curious, but what starter would you be looking to try to acquire? Are you going back to the well in Jack Flaherty? Maybe checking in on Jake Irvin from Washington? I think I'd be asking St. Louis what it would take to get a Sonny Gray/Ryan Helsley combo.

#1943 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 16 June 2024 - 04:20 PM

I get that. The other side of that coin however could be that he has a fresh new ligament to get him through his contract. :)

I do understand the reticence to deal that kind of prospect capital for a starter, but we have a team that can win the world series, that has an obvious and glaring need at starting pitcher. You just never know how many seasons you are going to be in a position to win it all, and they already didn't capitalize last year.

Just curious, but what starter would you be looking to try to acquire? Are you going back to the well in Jack Flaherty? Maybe checking in on Jake Irvin from Washington? I think I'd be asking St. Louis what it would take to get a Sonny Gray/Ryan Helsley combo.

I wanted Jordan Montgomery in the offseason. But yeah, I'd be OK with a Flaherty type. 

I'm in the process of doing an about-face on pitching in MLB. I don't know where I stand. 

If I were having an argument with my wife, I'd step out to go have a beer to wrap my head around things. I just know I wouldn't want to deal elite positional talent for elite pitching talent. Not in today's game. 

I mean, they say the playoffs are a crapshoot, but now whether or not [insert pitcher's name here] makes it through the season healthy is also a crapshoot? Injuries were once the exception...

I'm thinking the right tack is to simply out-blast your opponents. That means power upgrades at 1B and DH. Yeah yeah, Ryan O'Hearn blisters LH pitching. So what. He'll be a PH option. Plus, a real DH gets Rutschman an actual day off once a week, so that means less McCann. 

#1944 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 16 June 2024 - 04:32 PM

I wanted Jordan Montgomery in the offseason. But yeah, I'd be OK with a Flaherty type.

I'm in the process of doing an about-face on pitching in MLB. I don't know where I stand.

If I were having an argument with my wife, I'd step out to go have a beer to wrap my head around things. I just know I wouldn't want to deal elite positional talent for elite pitching talent. Not in today's game.

I mean, they say the playoffs are a crapshoot, but now whether or not [insert pitcher's name here] makes it through the season healthy is also a crapshoot? Injuries were once the exception...

I'm thinking the right tack is to simply out-blast your opponents. That means power upgrades at 1B and DH. Yeah yeah, Ryan O'Hearn blisters LH pitching. So what. He'll be a PH option. Plus, a real DH gets Rutschman an actual day off once a week, so that means less McCann.

I just don't think this tactic wins championships. Which pitchers make it might be a crapshoot, but whatever team gets there in the end *will* have good pitching. Right now the O's need someone who can even get them there. Not acquiring a starter is not a viable strategy.

On top of that, they already have a logjam of position players. Acquiring more just seems like reshuffling the deck chairs on the titanic.

#1945 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,395 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 16 June 2024 - 05:27 PM

I get the injury risk but come October I want 3 solid #1/#2 starters. If I could get one without selling off the future I'd do it. And really how big a deal is Holliday? Lets assume Mayo can play acceptable 3b. A long term infield of Mayo, Gunnar, and Westy looks pretty good to me. Does Holiday project that much better than either Mayo or Westy?

Now I am not ready to trade Holliday. But for the right pieces I'd move him. If we didn't have Westburg and Mayo then heck no. But we do have them.

• Mackus likes this

#1946 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,858 posts

Posted 16 June 2024 - 06:14 PM

Holliday has one elite talent that almost no one has today besides Juan Soto- he draws a boat load of walks and gets on base.  If you can pencil in a hitter every day who has a OBP pushing .400, that's invaluable.  That's a tough one for me to swallow as trade bait.  Granted, that's against AAA pitching and he failed miserably in his first major league stint, but the talent is there, and you can't teach that kind of eye at the plate.  Especially in today's game. 

• CantonJester likes this

#1947 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 18 June 2024 - 10:47 PM

Just a bruised hip for Westburg. Good news.
  • weird-O likes this

#1948 mikezpen

mikezpen
  • Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 07:49 AM

No way I'd trade Holiday.

Orioles have 3 big needs right now, center (preferably a RH hitter), bullpen and a good starter. For the pitching slots, I think they'll want to go pretty big and for somebody w/a couple of years of control left.They'll likely wait longest on addressing starting pitching to see if Bradish can come back or the minors produce something (is Povich real?).

Bottom of order hitting is exposed by good pitching. This would happen in postseason, I'm afraid. Pillar w/b a good CF pickup, short term, and he wouldn't cost much in return.

Bullpen, late-inning, remains the big issue.

#1949 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:34 AM

Just a bruised hip for Westburg. Good news.

That is good, but that's a nagging injury.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1950 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:54 AM

No way I'd trade Holiday.

Orioles have 3 big needs right now, center (preferably a RH hitter), bullpen and a good starter. For the pitching slots, I think they'll want to go pretty big and for somebody w/a couple of years of control left.They'll likely wait longest on addressing starting pitching to see if Bradish can come back or the minors produce something (is Povich real?).

Bottom of order hitting is exposed by good pitching. This would happen in postseason, I'm afraid. Pillar w/b a good CF pickup, short term, and he wouldn't cost much in return.

Bullpen, late-inning, remains the big issue.

No to Pillar. He’s never been good offensively, defense doesn’t seem good anymore, and his savant page is very blue for a 900 OPS. He was DFAd by the White Sox not long ago. Seems like a Gerardo Parra acquisition, I’d rather hope for Mullins/Cowser to figure it out than bet on Pillar suddenly being able to hit at 35. I agree that bullpen is the big need.
  • Mackus likes this

#1951 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,982 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 08:58 AM

Yeah, Pillar is a bad idea. Stick with Mullins over him. Or Cowser and Hays.

#1952 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,357 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 19 June 2024 - 09:19 AM

Man, it seems like Pillar got old quickly. I had to look up his stats. He's having a nice jolt to his offense since joining the Halos (SSS, of course). 

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#1953 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,239 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 June 2024 - 09:39 AM

I guess I never understand one thread for every thought, but Pillar would be vs Stowers on the roster as another RHed bat that can play CF and gives you more speed (than Stowers) off the bench.

Angels could be one-stop shopping depending on what they want to do at this point in the season.

#1954 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,637 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 10:32 AM

If Mullins is truly done , why can't Cowser play center and Kjerstad come back up?

#1955 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 10:51 AM

If Mullins is truly done , why can't Cowser play center and Kjerstad come back up?

I think the rationale is add a right handed hitting outfielder who can play center into the mix.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1956 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,551 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 10:53 AM

Kjersted is suspect as a defender. Id still be running Mullins out in CF and Cowser in LF vs RHP. Neither should really be playing vs LHP though.

#1957 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,559 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 10:56 AM

Gunnar was bad against LHP last year and crushing this year. I'd keep running Cowser out against LHP hoping he figures it out. Agree on Mullins, though.
  • CantonJester likes this

#1958 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,023 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 19 June 2024 - 11:13 AM

Gunnar was bad against LHP last year and crushing this year. I'd keep running Cowser out against LHP hoping he figures it out. Agree on Mullins, though.

Yeah the inherent nature of human handedness means you're always going to have much fewer LHP reps than RHP reps where it'll take longer to see progress just because it's not like you're seeing them every day  

• Mike B and CantonJester like this

#1959 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,825 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 June 2024 - 01:11 PM

Kjersted is suspect as a defender. Id still be running Mullins out in CF and Cowser in LF vs RHP. Neither should really be playing vs LHP though.

I agree on Cedric , but I want to keep sending Cowser out.  He is a young player and should be given time to make the adjustments.  We have seen him settle in defensively and I think CC will figure out lefties.  

I was at the game when Kjerstad played in the grand canyon that is left field at Camden Yards.  He over ran one rocket out to left, but then made 2 nice plays later in the game.

Maybe he needs to adjust to the third deck like Cowser did, although I would limit his time in LF.  He was okay in RF.

@mikeghg

#1960 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 01:30 PM

I agree on Cedric , but I want to keep sending Cowser out.  He is a young player and should be given time to make the adjustments.  We have seen him settle in defensively and I think CC will figure out lefties.  

I was at the game when Kjerstad played in the grand canyon that is left field at Camden Yards.  He over ran one rocket out to left, but then made 2 nice plays later in the game.

Maybe he needs to adjust to the third deck like Cowser did, although I would limit his time in LF.  He was okay in RF.

Cowser is a very good defensive OF with the size, arm and range to handle all three positions. Kjerstad, if his bat sticks, you stick in RF/1B/DH. 

He needs as many reps v LHP as possible because the O’s are a better team with him in the lineup. 

• Mike B likes this

3 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

BSLChrisStoner

Our Sponsors

width=