2399 replies to this topic

#2001 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 03:20 PM

I agree, but you know how it is. Writers always want to frame trades in terms of winners and losers.

I think both teams won. Ortiz wasn't going to be playing much here, and the Orioles needed a top of the rotation starter to make a playoff run. The Brewers weren't going to resign Burnes, and needed some young infield town for the future. Everyone wins.
  • weird-O likes this

#2002 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,383 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 04:20 PM

I think both teams won. Ortiz wasn't going to be playing much here, and the Orioles needed a top of the rotation starter to make a playoff run. The Brewers weren't going to resign Burnes, and needed some young infield town for the future. Everyone wins.

I don't care if Ortiz gains 20 lbs and grows another three inches (he'll be 26 in September) in order to provide 25 HR corner IF power. Burnes was a must. 

The only way the Brewers 'lose' this trade is if they were hell-bent on getting him out of the NL, and passed up on better offers from NL clubs to do just that. 

#2003 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,613 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 12:23 AM

Why either/or do both. Our owner is a billionaire

That doesn't mean he's going to subsidize the team. There are owners richer than Rubenstein who don't operate that way.

#2004 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,339 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 22 June 2024 - 10:41 AM

That doesn't mean he's going to subsidize the team. There are owners richer than Rubenstein who don't operate that way.

Along these lines, yesterday my wife asked me what the situation is with MASN, now that there's a new majority ownership group.   

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#2005 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,449 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 June 2024 - 10:47 AM

The O's could do both things and still make money. I don't think people are asking Rubenstein to subsidize the team, but it would be nice if this franchise didn't continue to operate like a treasure hoarding dragon.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#2006 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 11:25 AM

The O's could do both things and still make money. I don't think people are asking Rubenstein to subsidize the team, but it would be nice if this franchise didn't continue to operate like a treasure hoarding dragon.

I don't think they will, and I think they will make a genuine effort to retain Gunnar when they time comes.

#2007 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 22 June 2024 - 02:43 PM

What are the chances they flip a mid-level prospect to the Mets for J.D. Martinez? Dude can still rake.

#2008 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,203 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 June 2024 - 03:20 PM

What are the chances they flip a mid-level prospect to the Mets for J.D. Martinez? Dude can still rake.

He's a DH.  Mountcastle...O'Hearn....Rutschman....???

#2009 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,014 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 23 June 2024 - 05:15 PM

If we are dealing for a bat it needs to be an OF

Of course, they could just call up Kjerstad

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#2010 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,322 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 June 2024 - 07:09 PM

If we are dealing for a bat it needs to be an OF

Of course, they could just call up Kjerstad

Which they did. But what I think we need is a RH bat.

#2011 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,843 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 07:25 PM

I don't think we need a bat. All pitching for me. I guess if we deal one of Mateo or Urias to get the pitcher, then I'd seek a bat. Mayo might be the RH bat some desire, question is if he can play 3B.

#2012 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,547 posts

Posted 23 June 2024 - 09:54 PM

I don't think we need a bat. All pitching for me. I guess if we deal one of Mateo or Urias to get the pitcher, then I'd seek a bat. Mayo might be the RH bat some desire, question is if he can play 3B.

IMO, O’s should be talking to Pirates or Reds and offering O’Hearn for pitching help. Urias as well, like you said. Both teams need offense and are getting virtually zilch from 1B. We are up to our ears with LH hitters. Sell high on O’Hearn, open up DH for Kjerstad and have Santander get some 1B time to give Mounty a breather. Put Mayo at 3B with Westy at 2B and see if we can live with Mayo’s 3B defense.

Lastly, to improve the starter depth, you make a play for Fedde without using the top 4. Some combination of Norby, Beavers, Bradfield, Willems, Fabian, Chace, Portes.

Time to try and leverage these wildcard contenders in the NL.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#2013 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,322 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 June 2024 - 09:57 AM

Mayo is 7 for 20 with an OPS over 1.000 since getting back to Norfolk. Bring him up.

#2014 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,843 posts

Posted 24 June 2024 - 10:06 AM

Mayo is 7 for 20 with an OPS over 1.000 since getting back to Norfolk. Bring him up.

Can he play 3B? We don't really need any help at 1B, DH, RF right now.

#2015 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,322 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 June 2024 - 10:28 AM

Can he play 3B? We don't really need any help at 1B, DH, RF right now.

There's only one way to find out. 

But if the FO really doesn't think he can play 3B then trade him now. He and Kjerstad should be able to fetch a solid return. And I am past the well next year spots will open. That is true but I don't buy that for Mayo. If he can't play 3B then his value drops a bunch if he's a platoon 1B/DH. Same player as Mountcastle and as long as we want Adley in the lineup most every day when he's not catching (which we should) then we do not need another guy who is needing DH at bats.

Sure all of this can be adjusted by trades and signings but in general we need to see if Mayo is a ML 3B guy or not.

#2016 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,843 posts

Posted 24 June 2024 - 10:31 AM

There's only one way to find out. 

More than one way, especially if he can't.

#2017 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 24 June 2024 - 11:15 AM

Mayo has been better against RHP every year so I don't know why he'd be a platoon guy.

Defense in the infield at AAA* shouldn't really be any different than the majors so they should have an idea by now how he is at 3B. We as fans can only speculate.

*I can buy it being different at very low levels with relatively poor fields, or in the OF with different sight lines. 

#2018 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,322 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 24 June 2024 - 11:29 AM

Mayo has made 7 errors in 330 innings at 3B this season. Give him a go.

#2019 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,818 posts

Posted 25 June 2024 - 07:55 AM

Orioles hitters are always going to be susceptible to extended slumps because outside of Gunnar and to a lesser extent, Adley, they're a free-swinging bunch.  They'll score in bunches but also go dry at times.  The pitching staff has outperformed all season and that hides a lot of offensive deficiencies but now with the season ending injuries, I'm afraid it's going to get a lot harder to keep the winning pace they've had. I expect the pitching to start giving up more runs and increasing the pressure on the hitters to make up for it.  They have to get another quality starter and reliever for the second half.  To keep going out there, as is, I think you can kiss the division goodbye and they'll probably stagger down the stretch and into the play-offs as a wild card team.  Better than not being there at all but hardly the best-case scenario.  Elias obviously knows what they need so we'll see how it plays out over the next month.  

#2020 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,104 posts

Posted 25 June 2024 - 10:59 AM

Along these lines, yesterday my wife asked me what the situation is with MASN, now that there's a new majority ownership group.   

Mildly interesting information from Forbes about the valuation of MASN in the sale...

https://www.forbes.c...timore-orioles/

From a broadcast / programming perspective, I don't see that much has changed so far, but also didn't expect it to.  I'm hopeful that they improve the non-game content (and frankly the in-game coverage too) but wouldn't have expected any major changes this year.  Strikes me as more of a "let this baseball season run its course and start re-imagining it going in to winter and next season".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=