#1 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:20 PM

I know this is getting discussed only from a Hicks angle in his new thread and maybe some discussion in the trade thread but thought it deserved it's own thread.

On Hicks.  I hate to say this, but this is so Orioles.  A least useful move that requires no effort.  I hope he does well.  Only 33 so maybe there's something to a change of scenery. He's struggled against RHers and we kind of want someone better vs righties as the compliment to McKenna.

"We know something different about everyone" is just smoke.  It's what Moneyball actually is, trying to convince the human brain "we know something about you" because Baseball is 90% mental, the other half is physical.

Again, Hicks is literally scraping the bottom of the barrel.  Maybe they just wanted to do thing 1 while Ced's timeline settles out and they explore better options, but I'm not sure I have an answer less than HIcks.

#2 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:24 PM

If we were scraping the bottom of the barrel, I'd want JBJ.  I don't think he's a great option, but he's a local player and at least there's a better chance he'd be better than someone like Hicks.  You do have to make a phone call. 

I'm not saying this is a good option, but if we're lining up options, he'd be above HIcks for me.

Here's an idea, let's find out if Adam Jones is still in shape.  Of course that's ridiculous, but I'd still prefer it to Hicks.  At least it would be fun.

#3 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:27 PM

Folks he truely believes Jones is a better option than Hicks. Shame we didnt sign him to that extension you wanted after '18. He would still be here. ROFL

#4 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:28 PM

I also love how Hicks is scrapping the bottom of the barrel in your opinion but Bradley wouldnt be somehow.

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:31 PM

Oh and if you guys thought Hicks offensive numbers were bad of late go check out Bradleys numbers. My God.

#6 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:36 PM

wrt to today's lineup, I'm actually ok with Hays in CF....I just question if Vavra is going to be the platoon partner you want as an OFer.  I guess we can wait and see how he does out there.  

Feels like this may be the primary configuration for now....

...I always view situations like this as an opportunity to do something.  Need a number of guys to step up.  

#7 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:37 PM

Prince George VA is ~3 hours from OPACY I wouldn't really call it local, Philadelphia is closer and NYC isn't all that different. 

Like I said in the other thread, if Hicks is the backup who barely plays then he's fine. If he gets a lot of time then it's awful. JBJ isn't an answer either. We really just need Cowser to get healthy.

#8 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:42 PM

Prince George VA is ~3 hours from OPACY I wouldn't really call it local, Philadelphia is closer and NYC isn't all that different. 

Like I said in the other thread, if Hicks is the backup who barely plays then he's fine. If he gets a lot of time then it's awful. JBJ isn't an answer either. We really just need Cowser to get healthy.

Everyone is excited for Cowser, but we'll see if they want to break his rookie status.  Specific people keep saying "they don't care about that stuff" while every year their actions prove the do.

If this is just a week or 2 (or whatever) until Cowser, I'm actually ok with that.  He can get his feet wet and we'll wait on Mullins for  whatever is next.

I'd guess that's not the plan, but we'll see.

#9 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 06:48 PM

Everyone is excited for Cowser, but we'll see if they want to break his rookie status.  Specific people keep saying "they don't care about that stuff" while every year their actions prove the do.

If this is just a week or 2 (or whatever) until Cowser, I'm actually ok with that.  He can get his feet wet and we'll wait on Mullins for  whatever is next.

I'd guess that's not the plan, but we'll see.

Who knows. If Cowser was healthy I think he'd be up today. If he's not ready for two weeks and then they think Mullins is two weeks away maybe we don't see him at all. We'll see I guess. I think they do care about that stuff but I don't necessarily think it'll be dispositive in their decisions.

#10 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:10 PM

Oh and if you guys thought Hicks offensive numbers were bad of late go check out Bradleys numbers. My God.

JBJ still possesses elite range in CF. 

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:36 PM

JBJ still possesses elite range in CF.

I would hope considering you swing a better bat as a major leaguer

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:29 PM

What happened to the greatest minor league system in history?

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#13 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:30 PM

What happened to the greatest minor league system in history?

They're all hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=