77 replies to this topic

#41 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:52 PM

Unfortunate for Cowser that all of Mullins, Santander, and Hays have been playing reasonably well and the O's haven't shown much interest in moving away from Mountcastle. Also, Rutschman is going to get the bulk of DH ABs when he's not catching.

Cowser really needed a major injury and/or trade to have an opportunity to get a chance at significant playing time.

#42 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 01:02 PM

Not really. His time is here. Adley has been DHing but that can and should be changed to more straight days off as the summer grind hits. Also, that audition of Santander at 1b was straight putting Mountcastle on notice. There is no other way to read that. There are plenty of ABs to go around even with Ced in the lineup.

#43 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 01:23 PM

Also important to note that I think the brass sees Cowser in the same vein as Rutsch and Gunnar. Once he gets here he is getting a spot every day. This wont be a Stowers, Vavra, or Ortiz deal where he is on the bench a lot or is yo yo between MLB and AAA. When he gets here the plan is he stays and he plays.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#44 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 June 2023 - 01:37 PM

Unfortunate for Cowser that all of Mullins, Santander, and Hays have been playing reasonably well and the O's haven't shown much interest in moving away from Mountcastle. Also, Rutschman is going to get the bulk of DH ABs when he's not catching.

Cowser really needed a major injury and/or trade to have an opportunity to get a chance at significant playing time.

I don't think this is true.  

First, Adley is not going to DH as much the second half, but Cowser can be the regular RF when Mullins gets back.  Santander can DH, and play 1B against RH pitchers.

Cowser is a LH bat.  Elias is clearly prioritizing LH bats and that will eventually catch up with Mountcastle.

The wall has neutered RH bats.  To bad they did not realize other teams have LH pitchers.

@mikeghg

#45 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,058 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 01:40 PM

I don't think this is true.
First, Adley is not going to DH as much the second half, but Cowser can be the regular RF when Mullins gets back. Santander can DH, and play 1B against RH pitchers.
Cowser is a LH bat. Elias is clearly prioritizing LH bats and that will eventually catch up with Mountcastle.
The wall has neutered RH bats. To bad they did not realize other teams have LH pitchers.

Yup, they moved the LF wall back to Siberia then built a RH dominant rotation. Granted, they couldn't forsee the Means TJS and had a very, very short leash for Irvin.
  • Mike B likes this

#46 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 June 2023 - 01:45 PM

Yup, they moved the LF wall back to Siberia then built a RH dominant rotation. Granted, they couldn't forsee the Means TJS and had a very, very short leash for Irvin.

I don't think they even took the leash for Irvin out of the package.  :-P

@mikeghg

#47 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 12:46 PM

Has had the best ABs since he got here. Tip of the cap to Hays to who has remained a steady bat as well.

Hicks is an example why proven guys often get 2nd and 3rd chances. And nobody expects him to continue at this rate but he was able to step in and as a long time player have it be seemless and contribute immediately. This is why I harp on things like easing in young players and expecting a breaking in period. I want Cowser up here and I dont think its a Hicks vs Cowser thing. Room for both. But if it were a Hicks vs Cowser thing you see why teams lean towards the experience. Totally different story if this were the '21 Os by the way. Would be little need for Hicks. On a team like that get on with breaking Cowser in already

#48 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 June 2023 - 01:09 PM

Has had the best ABs since he got here. Tip of the cap to Hays to who has remained a steady bat as well.

Hicks is an example why proven guys often get 2nd and 3rd chances. And nobody expects him to continue at this rate but he was able to step in and as a long time player have it be seemless and contribute immediately. This is why I harp on things like easing in young players and expecting a breaking in period. I want Cowser up here and I dont think its a Hicks vs Cowser thing. Room for both. But if it were a Hicks vs Cowser thing you see why teams lean towards the experience. Totally different story if this were the '21 Os by the way. Would be little need for Hicks. On a team like that get on with breaking Cowser in already

There is room for both.  I like the fact that Lester got a call up, but I think Cowser gives us the best chance to win games, and limits the amount of time infielders play in the outfield.  When Cedric comes back, and outfield of Hays, Mullins and Cowser could be terrific defensively.  Santander can bounce between 1B and DH and Hicks can be the 4th outfielder, if he continues to outplay McKenna.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#49 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 05:30 PM

Vavra might be a slightly better hitter for average than Frazier, but compared to Vavra - Frazier has Aaron Judge level power. Vavra also doesn't offer a BB advantage.

Vavra is basically a poor man's Adam Frazier already on a team that already has the wealthy man's Adam Frazier. There's zero need to have both on the 26-man roster.

Outstanding assesment.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#50 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,012 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 13 June 2023 - 07:50 PM

https://yanksgoyard....e00?a_aid=40734

Interesting assessment that the adjustment Hicks needed to make was so simple ....not a good sign for the Yankees coaches.....LOL

#51 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 13 June 2023 - 08:52 PM

https://yanksgoyard....e00?a_aid=40734

Interesting assessment that the adjustment Hicks needed to make was so simple ....not a good sign for the Yankees coaches.....LOL

Elias told you it wasnt all about the stats. Haha laugh it up haters on every comment he makes. Credit to the Os coaches

#52 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 July 2023 - 12:25 PM

Hicks has Achillies soreness.  Maybe give him 10 days to rest it.  The issue is also what caused him to DH this week.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#53 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 12:31 PM

Hicks has Achillies soreness. Maybe give him 10 days to rest it. The issue is also what caused him to DH this week.

I was wondering if he was a late scratch yesterday. The game thread initially had him in the lineup

#54 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 07 July 2023 - 12:47 PM

I was wondering if he was a late scratch yesterday. The game thread initially had him in the lineup

Yep, he was in and supposed to play CF, then scratched.  If they retro him to last night, he could be back by Sunday the 16th.  The Orioles are short in the outfield right now.  McKenna could help.

@mikeghg

#55 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,436 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 12:52 PM

Stowers! :P

• DuffMan likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#56 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 01:16 PM

Yep, he was in and supposed to play CF, then scratched. If they retro him to last night, he could be back by Sunday the 16th. The Orioles are short in the outfield right now. McKenna could help.

Yeah cant have two guys down. I suspect Hays wouldve been ILd if he hadnt made the AS team. I think he wants to try to get there and play. Which I understand but now if Hicks is down we got to have ome of them replaced

#57 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,862 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 02:00 PM

Yeah cant have two guys down. I suspect Hays wouldve been ILd if he hadnt made the AS team. I think he wants to try to get there and play. Which I understand but now if Hicks is down we got to have ome of them replaced

I hope they're realistic about Hays's injury.  Hopefully it's minor and he'll be fine after the ASB, but you can't count on him to make a rational decision.  He tried to play through an injury last year, sucked for 3+ months, and actually may have cost the O's a shot at the postseason.  Hopefully he doesn't try to pull the same thing again this year, especially when they have so many other LF options.

I don't blame Hays for wanting to play in the ASG - and it looks like he's starting - but if he's not completely healthy on 7/14, they should IL him.

#58 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,012 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 July 2023 - 03:53 PM

Question. If  player plays in the ASG does that take away the ability to place them on the IL retroactively? I would assume so but I honestly don't know.

#59 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 07 July 2023 - 04:25 PM

Question. If player plays in the ASG does that take away the ability to place them on the IL retroactively? I would assume so but I honestly don't know.

I would guess no. Its an exhibition game but its a good question that Id like a definitive answer to

#60 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 August 2023 - 03:42 PM

Activated.  I hope it is a 4th outfielder.  He seems to do better when he is rested and the Orioles do not need him to play everyday.

@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=