77 replies to this topic

#21 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,976 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:57 PM

I doubt they make this move if either Cowser and Stowers were healthy. That said, I don't have an issue with the move. I doubt the Orioles catch any lightning in the bottle. Great if they do, easy to move on from Hicks via DFA.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#22 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:00 PM

Get ‘em Nickle!

Its more fun when Phelan gets you. 😀

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,327 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:02 PM

I’m a donk for sure but I’m just not into it. Bad move. Thumbs down. Both of them.

#24 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 10:34 PM

I really liked Dude's straightjacket comment the other day. 

Here we are contending, and he’s all about reclamation projects still. Zero need to not stay in house here given the timeframe and Cowser’s timetable. The major league deal gives me bad vibes. We’ll be stuck with him well past when Ced returns IMO. Gotta love it. Slight upward arc.

Whatever “not the back of a baseball card“ model he’s using, it is flawed. Last years team was better than their computers thought they’d be. And so far this years team is too. Can’t chart a path to winning the division, he said. But he can chart one where Hicks gives the 2023 O’s a bounce back. Makes sense.

This isn't necessarily one of those replies, but I wanted to say the following:

Hicks is a placeholder. If Cowser is smashing again, he'll be the O's CF. Hicks will ride the pine and become the '40th' man. 

Then, if Mullins takes 1 or 2 months? We shall see. 

That's my take anyway. 

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 31 May 2023 - 08:25 AM

Hicks is a band-aid (at best) until Cowser, Stowers or Haskins are ready.  I am okay with him on the roster until then.  If any are back and swinging the bat and are still in AAA, then that IMO is a mistake.

@mikeghg

#26 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,012 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 31 May 2023 - 08:25 AM

If I understand correctly we have one open spot on the 40 man? Do we have to put Hicks in that spot (I have no clue how the 40 man works)? If we do then I think this is really dumb. 

#27 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 09:07 AM

If I understand correctly we have one open spot on the 40 man? Do we have to put Hicks in that spot (I have no clue how the 40 man works)? If we do then I think this is really dumb. 

Have to be on the 40-man to be on the active roster, so yes, Hicks fills that spot.

There being a spot open shows that its not a really pressing issue at this time.  Means plus a few guys who project to debut at some point this year (Westburg, Cowser, any extra catcher) would need to be added (transferred off 60-day in Means' case) before seeing time in Baltimore.  But there are also several spots that could easily be opened by removing guys like Hicks himself, Denoyer, Gillaspie, Vespi, Watkins, and Zimmerman. Maybe some of those guys get claimed if they're outrighted off the 40-man and are lost, but I somewhat doubt it and wouldn't regret it much even if they did.

There is not a 40-man crunch currently, so that needn't be any part of your evaluation of adding Hicks.  Especially if you don't know how it works :).  It'll be a real concern come the offseason when we have a slate of minor league guys that have to be added or else risk being lost in the Rule 5.

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#28 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,547 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:17 PM

I didn't get to watch today, but good results in his Orioles debut.

#29 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:27 PM

Weak muscles. Real men don't cramp mid-game. Especially when they're 2-2 with a BB. Next.

#30 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,404 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 31 May 2023 - 06:41 PM

Weak muscles. Real men don't cramp mid-game. Especially when they're 2-2 with a BB. Next.

I genuinely need to ask if you’re being serious here

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#31 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 31 May 2023 - 07:46 PM

I genuinely need to ask if you’re being serious here

Even I'm not that cynical.

#32 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 09:39 AM

Really good first week for Hicks (5/11 with 3 BB).  I don't think McKenna would've hit this well.  Doubtful he'll continue as a positive roster presence, but can't argue with what he's done so far.  At the least, it buys Cowser however many days he needs to get reacclimated to playing every day before we call him up.

#33 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 10:19 AM

Really good first week for Hicks (5/11 with 3 BB).  I don't think McKenna would've hit this well.  Doubtful he'll continue as a positive roster presence, but can't argue with what he's done so far.  At the least, it buys Cowser however many days he needs to get reacclimated to playing every day before we call him up.

You gotta think Hicks is playing for a 4th OF spot at this point. Cowser > Mullins > Hays, with Hicks as the 4th OF. Santander to DH & backup 1B. Frazier's your 5th OF. 

#34 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 10:25 AM

You gotta think Hicks is playing for a 4th OF spot at this point. Cowser > Mullins > Hays, with Hicks as the 4th OF. Santander to DH & backup 1B. Frazier's your 5th OF. 

Agree that once Mullins & Cowser are on the roster, that there isn't room for both Hicks and McKenna.  Hopefully both guys are playing soon, forcing the issue for one of the reserves, but I'm pretty skeptical about Cowser's promotion and no idea on how long Mullins' recovery will take.

#35 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 11:17 AM

Mullins will be well into July so you got 6 weeks minimum for things to shake out otherwise. Cowser will be up at some point soon. Makoman mentioned his potential super 2 status. That could be an issue for a few more weeks. Whats not gonna be an issue is trying to maintain his rookie eligibility into next year. There is a clear reg spot for him even with Hicks and McKenna. You move Santander into more of a 1b/DH role. Vavra is literally doing nothing but being an emergency C right now.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#36 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 11:32 AM

Vavra offers very little to the roster besides the ability to play some IF. Having Vavra and Frazier on the roster is redundant, except Frazier is a significantly better bat.

#37 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,251 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 11:40 AM

I think Vavra's similar and perhaps even the better hitter between he and Frazier, but he can't defend like Frazier can.  Agree they are redundant, or at least should be if Frazier was in the correct role instead of playing everyday.  Although Frazier has been fine so far this year, I'd strongly prefer someone with more upside take over the role.  Westburg or Ortiz (if he's not needed at SS) would be fine, only turning back to Frazier if those guys struggle.

• BobPhelan likes this

#38 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:35 PM

Agree that once Mullins & Cowser are on the roster, that there isn't room for both Hicks and McKenna.  Hopefully both guys are playing soon, forcing the issue for one of the reserves, but I'm pretty skeptical about Cowser's promotion and no idea on how long Mullins' recovery will take.

Cowser should meet the team in Baltimore for the series against KC.  They need his defense as much as his bat.  Hicks catches what he gets too, but he plays a very deep CF and that will eventually cause problems IMO.

@mikeghg

#39 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,057 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:35 PM

Vavra might be a slightly better hitter for average than Frazier, but compared to Vavra - Frazier has Aaron Judge level power. Vavra also doesn't offer a BB advantage.

Vavra is basically a poor man's Adam Frazier already on a team that already has the wealthy man's Adam Frazier. There's zero need to have both on the 26-man roster.
  • russsnyder and JStruds like this

#40 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,125 posts

Posted 05 June 2023 - 12:41 PM

Cowser should meet the team in Baltimore for the series against KC. They need his defense as much as his bat. Hicks catches what he gets too, but he plays a very deep CF and that will eventually cause problems IMO.

Alot more ground to cover in SF. Also better back than in. Again, this isnt a Hicks vs Cowser debate. People need to stop framing it like that. Cowser was needed and may have been on the verge of getting the call before Ced went down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=