103 replies to this topic

#101 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,754 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:38 AM

The difference between them is statistically undetectable in any realistic MLB season or seasons.  You'd have to create some alternative reality where you can get the very similar conditions for each catcher for a really significant period of time.

I don't fully buy into pitch framing stats for similar reasons, but at least pitch framing is only trying to measure the catcher's role on the smallest building block of pitching, whether a borderline pitch should've been and was called a strike or ball.  ERA is the end result, a combination of many things with heavy influence on outside factors.  Much harder to accurately isolate the catcher's influence.

#102 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 08:38 AM

No one is saying catchers are meaningless. 

#103 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:32 AM

I see all the complaining about using Perez yesterday, but he had been pretty decent the last 5 or 6 games.  He did not exactly get rocked yesterday.  He got ground balls, but everyone found a hole.

All that said, we have starters who tap out in the 5th or 6th inning, so every guy in the pen has to be used.  There is not room for a lost cause pitcher.

Hyde has to use what he has.

• Hooded Viper likes this
@mikeghg

#104 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 11:49 AM

Chemistry and calling of a game is important. It isnt measured. If youre telling me CERA, even over an extended period, doesnt reflect those two things thats fine. Im just saying those two things are real. It was interesting hearing Gibsons last post gamer in New York. He touched a bit on chemistry and wanting to change things up a bit in game but how Adley didnt really know that. And he wasnt criticizing Adley. He said how can he read my mind and we need to talk through things but because Adley bats thats not always possible. Its just one of those things where in my opinion like anything else in life when you find great chemistry it can make things so much easier and better.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=