#21 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 May 2023 - 08:53 PM

There’s also, like, a lot of games left. Calling San Diego a disappointment is very premature

100%.  It's still May for everyone....but the point is that just opening the wallet doesn't equal winning.  Maybe SD figures it out.  Mets have had the same issue and were getting taken down by TB but rallied in improbable fashion then ripped off 5 in a row.  Cards were in last, still not good, but not in last now and trying to work back into it.  PIT was hot early then slowed down some.

In every case (including the Orioles) it isn't some vast separation in Talent that is leading to anything, it's execution of that Talent on the field. That will be true for everyone over the next 4.5 months.

Padres want to right the ship.  Everyone had them and the Mets as 2 of the top pre-season teams.  You win between the lines on the field, not in line at the bank.

#22 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 09:25 PM

I mean they made the NLCS last year 

As a wild card.  Once you get in anything can happen.  They were 22GB of LAD.  I think most would have considered their season a disappointment last year.

Disappointment so far this year as well, but Pedro is certainly correct that it's very early.

#23 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 09:36 PM

Remember when we were all expecting noteworthy FA additions last winter? The Angelos family still owns this team.

Not all of us were expecting that, but I get your drift. Just had to clarify  :geek:

• weird-O likes this

#24 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 09:37 PM

There’s also, like, a lot of games left. Calling San Diego a disappointment is very premature

I agree as is calling this team a contender. 

#25 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 09:45 PM

I agree as is calling this team a contender. 

Their rolling calendar record (or, their last 162 games) they are 95-67.

That's playoffs dude. Or Ken. 

#26 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,864 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 22 May 2023 - 09:55 PM

Let's go punch the MF'n Y's in the MF'n mouth!!!!!  Let's G'ooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

• You Play to Win the Game and PrimeTime like this
I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#27 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 22 May 2023 - 10:09 PM

As a wild card.  Once you get in anything can happen.  They were 22GB of LAD.  I think most would have considered their season a disappointment last year.

Disappointment so far this year as well, but Pedro is certainly correct that it's very early.

God if making the LCS is a disappointment then I'll happily take being disappointed this year 

• PrimeTime and bmore_ken like this

she/her

#28 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,445 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 10:24 PM

God if making the LCS is a disappointment then I'll happily take being disappointed this year

I was disappointed after 2014, but only because I thought we were the better team. Oh well.

#29 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 22 May 2023 - 10:47 PM

...if making the LCS is a disappointment then I'll happily take being disappointed this year 

Every step of perspective is about expectations.  Some teams (fanbases) have expectations of Championship.  Anything less is a failure.  Some teams hope to get in and take their chances.  

In 2018, when the Padres were tanking, the Dodgers were finishing runner up in back-to-back years.  Dodgers fans were disappointed.  Padres fans were "excited" for their future opportunity.  Their current roster has little to with rebuilding, they've made huge financial commitments and still looks like (yup, it's only May) work to do.

#30 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 10:50 PM

I was disappointed after 2014, but only because I thought we were the better team. Oh well.

The Royals were playing good baseball all year long, and yeah, probably played over their heads as a result. But they had solid-to-good arms in the rotation (Big Game James, Guthrie, Ventura, Vargas).. The O's were already carrying something like a third of their lineup as absolutely deadweight. Of course, losing Davis (while he could still see) and Machado didn't help matters.

#31 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 10:52 PM

Every step of perspective is about expectations.  Some teams (fanbases) have expectations of Championship.  Anything less is a failure.  Some teams hope to get in and take their chances.  

In 2018, when the Padres were tanking, the Dodgers were finishing runner up in back-to-back years.  Dodgers fans were disappointed.  Padres fans were "excited" for their future opportunity.  Their current roster has little to with rebuilding, they've made huge financial commitments and still looks like (yup, it's only May) work to do.

They also have a GM with balls of steel. 

#32 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 05:21 AM

Poorly worded on my part for sure.  Making the LCS is always fun.

I meant that post-season success isn't a good barometer for how good a team is, especially in baseball.  The regular season is a much better indicator.  The Padres had a fine regular season, 89 wins is nothing to sneeze at, but they still weren't close to sniffing LAD.  Already 8GB this year.  It's too early to say one way or the other if their process has "worked".  Will be interesting to see if they can turn it around.

#33 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 07:32 AM

The Royals were playing good baseball all year long, and yeah, probably played over their heads as a result. But they had solid-to-good arms in the rotation (Big Game James, Guthrie, Ventura, Vargas).. The O's were already carrying something like a third of their lineup as absolutely deadweight. Of course, losing Davis (while he could still see) and Machado didn't help matters.

Wieters missed most of the season too.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#34 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:12 AM

Their rolling calendar record (or, their last 162 games) they are 95-67.

That's playoffs dude. Or Ken. 

Last year is irrelevant to this year. This year they've played two months and look great out the gate. It's a long season.

#35 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:37 AM

This year they've played two months and look great out the gate. 

Easy Ken, don't be such a homer!

• bmore_ken likes this

#36 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:38 AM

Last year is irrelevant to this year. This year they've played two months and look great out the gate. It's a long season.

I don't understand the fascination with combining some of last season with the start of this season. If it's to assert the idea that the O's turned a corner in the middle of '22, that's cool. I mean, Elias disagrees with them. Hence his punting on that season. So yes, it's a fun factoid. But I see that stat posted several times a week, as if it's really a big deal. It's like pointing out that for a random stretch of 3 seasons, the O's had more wins than any other team. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those folks actually had a pennant made to celebrate that marvelous accomplishment. It hangs on their wall along with their 1983 WS champs and their 2013 Ravens SB pennants.  

• bmore_ken likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#37 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:46 AM

I don't understand the fascination with combining some of last season with the start of this season. If it's to assert the idea that the O's turned a corner in the middle of '22, that's cool. I mean, Elias disagrees with them. Hence his punting on that season. So yes, it's a fun factoid. But I see that stat posted several times a week, as if it's really a big deal. It's like pointing out that for a random stretch of 3 seasons, the O's had more wins than any other team. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those folks actually had a pennant made to celebrate that marvelous accomplishment. It hangs on their wall along with their 1983 WS champs and their 2013 Ravens SB pennants.  

I know right?  Fans of a franchise that has been mostly a laughingstock for 30 years, having the audacity to point out something that could be construed as a positive.  How ridiculous.  

• Hooded Viper, BobPhelan, CantonJester and 1 other like this

#38 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 08:47 AM

I don't understand the fascination with combining some of last season with the start of this season. If it's to assert the idea that the O's turned a corner in the middle of '22, that's cool. I mean, Elias disagrees with them. Hence his punting on that season. So yes, it's a fun factoid. But I see that stat posted several times a week, as if it's really a big deal. It's like pointing out that for a random stretch of 3 seasons, the O's had more wins than any other team. I wouldn't be surprised if some of those folks actually had a banner made to celebrate that marvelous accomplishment. It hangs on their wall along with their 1983 WS champs and their 2013 Ravens SB banners.  

I wouldn't bring it up at all on my own, but when people kept saying that they are pretenders that haven't played anybody (which has kind of stopped after the latest run) I think pointing out that they have in fact been good for a longer period than a few weeks and played plenty of good teams last year is a little bit relevant. Especially since they didn't substantially improve the team over the offseason and the core is largely the same. I would have been more open to the pretenders label last July or August than now. But if you don't think last year with like half+ the same roster is meaningful you don't have to give it any weight, sure.

#39 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:26 AM

Easy Ken, don't be such a homer!

I'm just a realist. I don't mean to damper everyone's excitement. 

#40 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 23 May 2023 - 09:52 AM

I know right?  Fans of a franchise that has been mostly a laughingstock for 30 years, having the audacity to point out something that could be construed as a positive.  How ridiculous.  

Are your pennants hung vertically, or horizontally? And is your "Arbitrary combination of wins-losses over 2 seasons" pennant given the prominent spot in their order? 

• bmore_ken likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=