BSLJasonBHirschhorn

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 02:56 PM

BSL: Three questions the Ravens need to answer before Week 1

https://baltimorespo...-before-week-1/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

Jason B. Hirschhorn is the co-founder of The Leap and an award-winning sportswriter with bylines at NFL.com, SB Nation, Sports Illustrated, and other major outlets. He is also a Pro Football Writers of America member. Follow him on Twitter: @by_JBH

#2 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 08:48 PM

I'm sure Monken has a solid plan that will work with the present personnel. I just hope he doesn't completely abandon the run game.

OBJ doesn't need to he an all pro now that we're stocked at Receiver. Just get open and catch it when it's thrown your way whether it's 25 yards  downfield or 10.

Queen worked well with Roquan last year. If it's working don't try to fix it. Worry about next season, next season

#3 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 20 May 2023 - 09:02 PM

I'm sure Monken has a solid plan that will work with the present personnel. I just hope hr doesn't completely abandon the run game.

OBJ doesn't need to he an all pro now we're stocked at Receiver. Just get open and catch when it's thrown your way whether it's 25 downfield or 10.

Queen worked well with Roquan last year. If it's working don't try to fix it. Worry about next season, next season

Bateman should get the most usage out of our current group, as long as he's healthy. Prior to his foot injury, he was extremely explosive. He can go up and win 50/50's. He can take a 5 yard slant to the house. He can shake man coverage at a high rate. He just needs to stay healthy for once.

OBJ needs to be the possession, YAC, compliment on the outside. Flowers is a big bonus. He can line up anywhere. And he creates separation against zone or man.

Oh... and we still have an elite receiving TE that can do it all. The weapons are there, barring injuries. No excuse for not having a top 10 offense.
  • PrimeTime and bmore_ken like this

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 May 2023 - 11:23 AM

I am hoping Monken has plans to utilize Isiah Likely too.  I think he can be a weapon we use in multiple ways.

• PrimeTime likes this
@mikeghg

#5 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 22 May 2023 - 03:32 PM

I am hoping Monken has plans to utilize Isiah Likely too.  I think he can be a weapon we use in multiple ways.

Likely was criminally underutilized last.....unless Andrews was hurt, then he was a beast. For as much as 12 personnel that we used under Roman, I can't figure out how/why Likely would disappear all the time. Furthermore, with our glaring WR shortage down the stretch last year, Likely should've been deployed as a de facto wide out to (a) get him more touches and (b) to get the best available talent we had at the time on the field.

• jamesdean likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#6 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 04:40 PM

Lamar talked to the press a little today. Apparently Monken is giving the "keys to the offense" to Lamar. He's apparently going to have the freedom to call audibles and hot routes.

Definitely going to be a complete 180. Getting to the LOS with more than 10 seconds. Lamar actually getting the chance to make changes based on what the defense is showing.

Oh, and a lot less rushing attempts from Lamar as well. Monken would be dumb to not feature some read options. But it seems like we're going to treat Lamar like he's a $52 million franchise QB.

We're about to find out really quick, just how good of a passer Lamar really is. For what he's getting paid, he better be in the top 5 in all passing efficiency stats.

#7 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 24 May 2023 - 07:22 PM

Likely was criminally underutilized last.....unless Andrews was hurt, then he was a beast. For as much as 12 personnel that we used under Roman, I can't figure out how/why Likely would disappear all the time. Furthermore, with our glaring WR shortage down the stretch last year, Likely should've been deployed as a de facto wide out to (a) get him more touches and (b) to get the best available talent we had at the time on the field.

I think it was bad timing with likely.  Early in the year he got put in the doghouse because he missed a block I think on a running play, and then proceeded to drop like 3 of 4 targets.  Then he got going like by week 7, which also coincided with much better blocking, and was able to shine when Andrews missed a couple games, but then Lamar was out and his QB couldn't get him the ball.

He still had a pretty good rookie year.  I still think he's a starting TE on at least 10 teams.

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,935 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 09:33 AM

Likely better learn how to catch the ball. Im more interested in the better receiver coming out with Kolar

#9 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 02:36 PM

Lamar talked to the press a little today. Apparently Monken is giving the "keys to the offense" to Lamar. He's apparently going to have the freedom to call audibles and hot routes.

Definitely going to be a complete 180. Getting to the LOS with more than 10 seconds. Lamar actually getting the chance to make changes based on what the defense is showing.

Oh, and a lot less rushing attempts from Lamar as well. Monken would be dumb to not feature some read options. But it seems like we're going to treat Lamar like he's a $52 million franchise QB.

We're about to find out really quick, just how good of a passer Lamar really is. For what he's getting paid, he better be in the top 5 in all passing efficiency stats.

The whole structure of the playbook could streamline how the plays are communicated in the game so that the offense can get set with some time for Lamar to look at the defense. Every play should include an option for Jackson to run; not only is he a great runner, but when the quarterback is the ball carrier it is like an extra man on the field, as everyone else can block. It's established that QB injuries happen more from being blindsided in the pocket than from running downfield. Also, I think Lamar is a better passer while running. I have no doubt that Jackson will be a very good passer, especially with better plays and routes and better WRs. We've seen him do it.

#10 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 26 May 2023 - 12:08 PM

Hopefully "less rush attempts" doesn't mean hold the ball forever instead of taking off when there's no one open.  That did not work out well last season.

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,200 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 02:37 PM

The question that needs to be answered offensively is whether they still want to be predominantly run oriented. With Dobbins and Edwards, I doubt Monken will become pass happy but it does make me wonder how the season will begin in those first few games. If they are going to target downfield a lot more, I hope Lamar is going to get the protection to do that and then be accurate enough to make it successful. Definitely no guarantees in that department. 

#12 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 27 May 2023 - 09:21 PM

Hopefully "less rush attempts" doesn't mean hold the ball forever instead of taking off when there's no one open.  That did not work out well last season.

I'm hoping now that the contract is behind him, that won't be as big a problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=