134 replies to this topic

#121 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:26 AM

Ohtani is unlike anything we've had in the last 60-70 years.

I don't think anyone else in baseball would draw a crowd like he does.

I think whoever signs him to a $600M deal will get their money's worth.

And the Angels had him for 20M posting, 2.3M bonus, 10.4M salary for first 5 years and 30M this year. So 5/32.7 or 6/62.7.

Meanwhile, that same off season we got Alex Cobb for 4/57M.

I'm sure we had a larger bonus pool than 2.3M since we rarely used it. Not that he would have chosen Baltimore, I imagine he preferred west coast. Yeah that's hindsight, I don't care.

• Mike B likes this

#122 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:31 AM

Ohtani is unlike anything we've had in the last 60-70 years.

I don't think anyone else in baseball would draw a crowd like he does.

I think whoever signs him to a $600M deal will get their money's worth.

I sat in Section 46 right behind home plate and there seemed to be a lot of Ohtani fans there.  The interesting thing to me, was not all seemed to be Angel fans.   When Wallach hit the homerun there seemed to be very little reaction, but when Ohtani hit his homerun the group erupted. 

I suspect, the same people will be at CY next year when Ohtani comes in with whoever he signs with.

@mikeghg

#123 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2023 - 09:34 AM

And the Angels had him for 20M posting, 2.3M bonus, 10.4M salary for first 5 years and 30M this year. So 5/32.7 or 6/62.7.

Meanwhile, that same off season we got Alex Cobb for 4/57M.

I'm sure we had a larger bonus pool than 2.3M since we rarely used it. Not that he would have chosen Baltimore, I imagine he preferred west coast. Yeah that's hindsight, I don't care.

I talked to a guy last night who seems convinced Ohtani will be wearing Dodger Blue next year.  He thinks the reason the Dodgers did not go big this year in free agency was because they were saving space for Ohtani.

@mikeghg

#124 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 16 May 2023 - 10:04 AM

I sat in Section 46 right behind home plate and there seemed to be a lot of Ohtani fans there.  The interesting thing to me, was not all seemed to be Angel fans.   When Wallach hit the homerun there seemed to be very little reaction, but when Ohtani hit his homerun the group erupted. 

I suspect, the same people will be at CY next year when Ohtani comes in with whoever he signs with.

Not to stereotype, but we’re many of them Asian? I remember going to an O’s game in Ichiro’s rookie season and it was the same thing….even with Griffey Jr and ARod before him, I doubt there were that many Mariners fans in the area. The big name players from Japan have huge Japanese-American followings.

#125 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2023 - 10:09 AM

Not to stereotype, but we’re many of them Asian? I remember going to an O’s game in Ichiro’s rookie season and it was the same thing….even with Griffey Jr and ARod before him, I doubt there were that many Mariners fans in the area. The big name players from Japan have huge Japanese-American followings.

Just guessing but I would say about 30%.

@mikeghg

#126 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 10:19 AM

Just guessing but I would say about 30%.

Maybe the other 70 were Os fans who forgot who owns the team and thought they’d give him an early welcome to Baltimore.

#127 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2023 - 10:38 AM

The funny part was in the 9th inning, Trout walked to get Ohtani another AB.  Ohtani hit a flair into leftfield that Hays got to quickly.  Trout had no chance to go to third but a young lady was screaming at Trout because he stopped Shohei from getting the double for the cycle.

To earlier points, she was far more Shohei fan than Angel.

@mikeghg

#128 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 May 2023 - 10:43 AM

The funny part was in the 9th inning, Trout walked to get Ohtani another AB. Ohtani hit a flair into leftfield that Hays got to quickly. Trout had no chance to go to third but a young lady was screaming at Trout because he stopped Shohei from getting the double for the cycle.
To earlier points, she was far more Shohei fan than Angel.

She should be mad at Ohtani for not getting advice from Cedric before the game.
  • Mike B likes this

#129 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2023 - 11:06 AM

Maybe the other 70 were Os fans who forgot who owns the team and thought they’d give him an early welcome to Baltimore.

We took the grandkids on Friday night and my son, said the Orioles should invite his kids for free every game and with the money spent on concessions, they could afford Shohei.  :-P

I don't think Shohei would help the Orioles.  We would have to play with a 10 man roster, to keep the payroll at basement level.  :-P

• BSLMikeLowe likes this
@mikeghg

#130 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 11:13 AM

We took the grandkids on Friday night and my son, said the Orioles should invite his kids for free every game and with the money spent on concessions, they could afford Shohei.  :-P

I don't think Shohei would help the Orioles.  We would have to play with a 10 man roster, to keep the payroll at basement level.  :-P

Hey now, 25 minimum players is under 20M, so we could probably afford another 40M. 

3/120M, can't go too long for pitchers.

• Mike B likes this

#131 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 16 May 2023 - 11:50 AM

I talked to a guy last night who seems convinced Ohtani will be wearing Dodger Blue next year.  He thinks the reason the Dodgers did not go big this year in free agency was because they were saving space for Ohtani.

Yeah I think there's a pretty common theory and I'd guess it'll end up being correct 

she/her

#132 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 16 May 2023 - 01:27 PM

Yeah I think there's a pretty common theory and I'd guess it'll end up being correct 

Better there I guess than NY or Boston.   

Maybe Elias and JA are preparing that wow offer.  

@mikeghg

#133 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,680 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 16 May 2023 - 01:58 PM

If I had to bet anything, I'm taking the Dodgers.  The only other thing I could see is him making a trek to the East Coast and taking some obscene contract from Steve Cohen.  It's not going to be Yankees or RedSox.  It's not Cubs or WhiteSox.

If they need something the Dodgers aren't willing to do (I think they have perceived, not real limits) and he doesn't want the East Coast (if he does, he'll be a Met) then the Giants have 100M they couldn't spend last year and the Mariners probably make the play they tried originally.

It's not going to be the Orioles but nearly every team has things they need help with to get their roster aligned for something like that.  Be THAT team.  Make yourself better by helping someone else align against their goals.

#134 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 02:40 PM

I wouldn't rule out the Giants. If they were ready to give Judge $360M, they might be willing to come up with more for Ohtani, especially if the alternative is him playing for their rival. And not sure how much it matters to him, but he would still get to stay on the west coast.

#135 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 03:34 PM

Despite the landfill of money Ohtani will get from whoever, teams have to remember that it doesn't guarantee a World Championship. Sure, they'll feed off his aura and popularity in a financial frenzy but the ultimate goal can be elusive.  Just ask the Angels.  Hell, he hasn't even made them that competitive, let alone getting them to the post season.  If the Dodgers do sign him, how much better can they be than last year?  So, I think if teams are having World Series rings dancing around in their heads, they better remember that they still have to do it on the field. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=