67 replies to this topic

#41 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 06:07 AM

The Ravens had the option and chose not to have a bye after the London game.

I didn’t know that. Do you have the option to take one before it?

Seems dumb given the option not to take it. Did they let them know it would be their third straight week of travel?
@BSLMikeRandall

#42 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 06:40 AM

I imagine they must have really preferred having the bye later in the season.

Given the time difference they should make it home on Sunday night, so it just depends how long they’re affected by jet lag. Supposedly flying west is easier than east.

#43 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 May 2023 - 09:37 AM

I imagine they must have really preferred having the bye later in the season.

Given the time difference they should make it home on Sunday night, so it just depends how long they’re affected by jet lag. Supposedly flying west is easier than east.

In my experience, this is very true. Much easier gaining hours than losing them. Which is why they should not wait until Friday or Saturday to go over there this time.

#44 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 10:36 AM

That 4 game stretch around the international game is pretty tough.  Back to back road games against divisional opponents followed by an overseas game.  Third game of a road set is always tough but to have it be that long of a travel game is really tough.  Then you come back and have to play the following week.  I think I would have taken the bye after the international game just to give the team a break and reset.  Tennesse will be coming off of one road game against a divisional foe also so that does help a little.  

I don't think having the bye later in the year is always that much of an advantage.  Sometimes having it a little earlier can be an opportunity to fix some things if they need fixing.  Of course the Ravens didn't have the advantage of knowing the international game would be after two division games either.  I wonder if they would reconsider knowing what the schedule just prior to that game is now.    

#45 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 May 2023 - 11:14 AM

The Cleveland on Sunday, Cincy on the following Thursday isn't my favorite but at least it's at home. Opening with 3 division road games in the first 5 games is tough but at least home games against Houston and Indy are amongst those 5 games. 

I don't like to hung up on what could happen in specific games or try to make a record prediction because so much can change between now and the beginning of the season.

As many have already stated, the length of the road trips are probably the biggest challenge of this year's schedule.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#46 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 11:27 AM

Both of their west coast trips being prime time games means that by the time they get back to Baltimore the sun will probably be up the next morning.

This is a good season for them to consult with someone who specializes in sleep and how to minimize the effect of time zone travel on your circadian rhythm, and to have an open mind when it comes to recommended changes in their normal routine.

#47 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 May 2023 - 12:17 PM

Much ado about nothing. Play football.
  • BaltBird 24 and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#48 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 02:05 PM

I hate that the releasing of the schedule is made into a huge ordeal. Between free agency, combine, draft, OTAs, mini camp, the pre season, the actual season..... just way too much.
  • BSLJamieSieck and CantonJester like this

#49 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 12 May 2023 - 02:41 PM

I hate that the releasing of the schedule is made into a huge ordeal. Between free agency, combine, draft, OTAs, mini camp, the pre season, the actual season..... just way too much.

Agreed....it's baseball season.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#50 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 12 May 2023 - 02:42 PM

I mostly care because I know what dates I have to beg my wife to let me attend in person (Chargers and 49ers games) :)
  • You Play to Win the Game and BSLMikeLowe like this

#51 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 03:25 PM

Maybe it's just me, but it doesn't seem that difficult to narrow my focus on the things that interest me, and ignore what doesn't interest me. Yesterday I got an email from the Ravens showing me the schedule. I enjoyed reading it and imagining how things might play out (of which I'll probably be about 50% wrong). If the NFL wants to put on a big show about it, more power to them, but I don't need all that, so I don't pay attention. That simple.

• BSLChrisStoner, You Play to Win the Game, TwentyThirtyFive and 1 other like this

#52 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 03:27 PM

I mostly care because I know what dates I have to beg my wife to let me attend in person (Chargers and 49ers games) :)

Not the Cardinals game? If you live where I think you once said, that might be easier than the 49ers game, especially if your wife isn't too keen on you being gone for Christmas.

• hallas likes this

#53 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,721 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 03:41 PM

It's there, because people care obviously.   The dominance of football over the other sports is just immense.  

#54 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 12 May 2023 - 03:42 PM

Was really looking forward to a Nashville trip this season until the NFL gave me a giant middle finger.

#55 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 12 May 2023 - 05:37 PM

Not the Cardinals game? If you live where I think you once said, that might be easier than the 49ers game, especially if your wife isn't too keen on you being gone for Christmas.

Phoenix and San Fran are almost the same distance, San Fran being marginally closer.  The flip side being that it won't cost me about $70 for a hamburger in Phoenix.

This is also assuming I drive.  But Phoenix is a possibility.  We could turn it into a camping trip with the family.

I feel like the 49ers and Chargers games are more compelling for me though in terms of matchups, because the Chargers have Herbert, and the 49ers seem to always be a good matchup with the Ravens. 

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#56 Dupin

Dupin

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 06:59 PM

https://twitter.com/...2197769232?s=20

Wait, were we not screwed by the league for once

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#57 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2023 - 09:21 AM

Was really looking forward to a Nashville trip this season until the NFL gave me a giant middle finger.

Our plans were Nashville and San Fran.   Nashville became London, nope!.  San Fran is Christmas night..Nope.

Arizona will be cool though.  That became the new plan.

@mikeghg

#58 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 May 2023 - 09:23 AM

FWIW, I got an email from the Ravens offering a travel package.  5 K per person.  Nope.

• BaltBird 24 likes this
@mikeghg

#59 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 06:19 AM

FWIW, I got an email from the Ravens offering a travel package.  5 K per person.  Nope.

What exactly does one get for their $5000?

#60 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,435 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 18 May 2023 - 11:39 AM

Fwiw hotels in London for those dates are pretty cheap on Hotwire — talking $80/night for a four star in Chelsea. A bit off the beaten path but worth it

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=