182 replies to this topic

#181 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,247 posts

Posted 10 May 2023 - 09:15 PM

It's hard to know where to jump in on this stuff....but you simply aren't paying attention to what's been happening across MLB for years now.  Teams go back and forth on some of the approach (swing too far one way then swing back).

Newer managers are more hybrid in that they accept the jobs with the clear understanding of their accountability to the Data department.

Lol , More dude talk BS. Have never disputed that on the whole some FOs have more control over what traditional managerial duties. . Im talking specifically managing a pen. Show me anything that has be written that shows are FOs making in game BP decisions for managers. Il wait.  

#182 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,359 posts

Posted 11 May 2023 - 07:07 AM

Show me anything that has be written that shows are FOs making in game BP decisions for managers.

Can you show us anything that has been written that shows the front office making in-game shifting decisions for managers?  Have you ever seen a QBs wrist strap with plays on it? 

They're not gonna broadcast the proprietary things they create to help the manager make decisions and relay information to the players.  I don't think we need to see the artifact to be able to infer the process is in place.  I'm confident that the upstairs numbers crunchers and scouting people are giving Hyde information on which pitchers have the best numbers against specific parts of the opposing lineup and what the bench alternatives would be.  I don't know if that's a slide deck, a conversation, or a laminated pictograph (this last one would be my top guess), but I would be shocked if it's not happening.  And I think a big portion of the way Elias would evaluate Hyde's performance is based on how well he leverages that information and manages the game to get to points where the O's see an advantage.

#183 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,573 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 11 May 2023 - 04:26 PM

Lol , More dude talk BS. Have never disputed that on the whole some FOs have more control over what traditional managerial duties. . Im talking specifically managing a pen. Show me anything that has be written that shows are FOs making in game BP decisions for managers. Il wait.  

More of less we can go through every team over the last 5-6 years and track their approach.  It's often publicly written (or suggested) in the hiring decisions.  One of the big discussions when Girardi left NYY and Boone was hired was the winningness to implement the Analytics. Girardi wants to be more feel.  Gabe Kapler in Philly was one of the first guys that basically was willing to be the Analytics bitch.  Buck around here got crucified for not moving Adam Jones back 8 feet (or whatever the crazy discussion was)...people wanted Buck to do what Analytics told him.  Houston was heavy Analytics nad in the aftermath of the proven cheating scandal, they went with a more old-school approach in Baker. 

The challenge for every Manager in today's Game is that the Analytics head can sit next to the GM and be in his ear in the Owners Box and critique every decision the Manager makes with no accountability to the decisions.  The Manager (and we see this here) has to be accountable for ALL the decisions, regardless of the impetus for making them.

The Analytics team is playing Blackjack.  The Manager is playing Poker.

I'm confident that there's an intern putting together a fairly significant book of scenarios for every game.  Detailed.  Extensive.  It could be automated or at least the process is to spit out the paper or whatever they are using.  It's an "If, Then" book.  Don't follow it at your own risk.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=