Photo

PressBox: Jim Henneman: Is .500 Record The Rest Of The Way Acceptable For Orioles?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 10:10 AM

PressBox: Jim Henneman: Is .500 Record The Rest Of The Way Acceptable For Orioles?

#2 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 10:25 AM

Haven't read the article...but yes.

#3 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,271 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 08 May 2023 - 11:32 AM

Without reading, I think it's obvious that there is not nearly enough context in simply saying they go .500. Where are they positioned and what do they do at the trade deadline? If they are in position to compete for the playoffs only to sell again, then that .500 May-Sep is probably a lot harder to swallow.

#4 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 08 May 2023 - 11:44 AM

That would put them at 86-76, so probably yes, but that does not get them into the post season.

I guess it is how they get to that number that answers the question.

If they fight the good fight all the way, then yes.  That includes being a buyer at the deadline.

If they sit tight or sell and get to 86 then NO.

@mikeghg

#5 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,051 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:32 PM

The problem with those kinds of articles is that the end state is not what matters but they how you got there. If for example they were to continue to play .650 ball against the bad teams and .400 against the good teams then no that wouldn't be ok. To me they need to show they can not just hang with the big boys but beat them too.

But as Mike says if they fought and played good baseball and just ended up short of the playoffs so be it. Wouldn't be over joyed but 86 is more wins than I projected (but when we asked that question before the season started we were all projecting the season record and not what turned out to be a very easy April schedule).

What really is important at this point is how the FO handles the trade deadline and next offseason. We now know this team can compete. Maybe not quite up with the top tier but certainly in the near playoff zone. If they continue to play like that and the FO doesn't honestly open up the bank and make some major improvements to the team then screw them.

And yes Dude I chose the work honestly intentionally.

#6 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,348 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 12:54 PM

The problem with those kinds of articles is that the end state is not what matters but they how you got there. If for example they were to continue to play .650 ball against the bad teams and .400 against the good teams then no that wouldn't be ok. To me they need to show they can not just hang with the big boys but beat them too.

I didn't look at others but I think it's most relevant to look at the same division due to unbalanced schedules, and we had 4 contenders so that's nice.

Last year the O's were .456 against playoff teams, .566 against non-playoff. 

The Yankees were .515 against playoff teams, .673 against non-playoff. 

Last Blue Jays were .455 against playoff teams, .646 against non-playoff.

Last Rays were .483 against playoff teams, .559 against non-playoff.

The O's actually did better than the Jays against the so called good teams. The Rays weren't a whole lot better. The Yankees were by far the best but they still would have lost the division if they were only Rays-like vs the bad teams. 

I wouldn't say the MLB playoffs are entirely a crap shoot, but just get in and a lot can happen. So I don't care how they get in. I don't think .650/.400 is really going to happen, but I'm not going to complain if it's more like .600/.460

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=