64 replies to this topic

#41 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:19 PM

Why would he be unavailable? You force fed Akin and Voth last night, two guys who couldve been the long man today, to save your high lev arms. Still Coulombe vs an obvious PH and then two more righties in Albies (historically a lefty killer) and Ozuna is just incredibly stupid. Baker was shaky as crap but youre better off jjst letting him face Rosario and Albies lefty

No idea. He could be under the weather or tweaked something during warmups.

#42 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:19 PM

Certainly had chances to win in a second tough matchup.

When it works it always works and when it doesn't it never does.

Too many games flip on a swing.  

Mountcastle smokes a ball with the bases loaded and Kevin Pillar hasn't been decent in years but beats you.

<<Shrug>> be resilient and win tomorrow.

• mdrunning likes this

#43 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,586 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:20 PM

No idea. He could be under the weather or tweaked something during warmups.

Not sure, but I was wondering if Hyde was going to Cano in the 9th.  Bautista has been struggling with missing the strike-zone the last couple outings.

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:20 PM

That was definitely a gut punch loss but at the same time feeling proud to be an O’s fan right now. They really battled today and probably should’ve had it. Just a fun gritty team.
  • BobPhelan and russsnyder like this

#45 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:27 PM

Again, regardless of Cano and if or when he was going to be used goimg to Coloumne against 3 righties there is brutal. Its still the wrong decision. Did Hyde really think he was going to face Rosario. And then what exactly was he going to do with lefty killer Albies?? Walk him and put the go ahead run on 1b to face another righty who already hit a homer earlier.

#46 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:28 PM

That was definitely a gut punch loss but at the same time feeling proud to be an O’s fan right now. They really battled today and probably should’ve had it. Just a fun gritty team.

My take-a-way as well.

Great at bats up and down the lineup. Defense is better. Serviceable starts.

Take the series tomorrow

#47 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:38 PM

Hyde said they didn't want to go to Cano tonight because of his workload

#48 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,498 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:45 PM

Doesn’t help that our bench includes a third catcher and a guy who literally can’t swing a bat.
  • BSLSteveBirrer and makoman like this

#49 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:45 PM

Not sure, but I was wondering if Hyde was going to Cano in the 9th.  Bautista has been struggling with missing the strike-zone the last couple outings.

See, I thought about that, but then why not give the ball to Cano to start the 8th? Cuz if he's on, he finishes the meat of their order on 12-15 pitches, and should've been deemed strong enough to finish off the backend of their order in the 9th, and if not, they push the questionable pitchers to face the weaker part of their lineup anyway. 

#50 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:48 PM

See, I thought about that, but then why not give the ball to Cano to start the 8th? Cuz if he's on, he finishes the meat of their order on 12-15 pitches, and should've been deemed strong enough to finish off the backend of their order in the 9th, and if not, they push the questionable pitchers to face the weaker part of their lineup anyway.

Yup. Ill take my chances with Cano against the heart of their lineup. Always shouldve lined it up that way. If Bautista or anyone else is facing 5,6,7 8 Ill take my chances but I used my best bullet on Acuna, Olson, Riley, Murphy.

I point out all the BP management mistakes. Its not 2nd guessing either. Hes gotten awaywith a lot of crap so far.Its so apparent. Numerous things. Using 3 guysnin an inning. Not setting up his highest lev arms to face the best parts of lineups, not seeing that a matchup is pointless when the opposition is going to pinch hit. Its so robotic. Its like we are still living in the LOOGY era and hes facing an AI who isnt going to counter with the best options.

#51 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 09:51 PM

Yup. Ill take my chances with Cano against the heart of their lineup. Always shouldve lined it up that way. If Bautista or anyone else is facing 5,6,7 8 Ill take my chances but I used my best bullet on Acuna, Olson, Riley, Murphy.

I missed the post game, but I'd love to hear what Hyde had to say about this. Assuming of course, the men and women covering the game saw fit to ask that question. 

#52 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 10:02 PM

Again, lets put Cano aside for a sec. Pillar is hitting .344 vs lefties this year. Granted in a SSS. He has a career .774 OPS vs lefties compared to only 670ish vs righties. On top of that Albies is a lefty killer on deck. Did he really think Snitker was gonna leave Rosario in to face the lefty. BTW Rosario had a sub .600 OPS last year. Hes not off to a good start this year with again an OPS against righties under .600. Why are we even taking Baker out?? I get he was shaky but then why did he start the 8th after the shaky 7th. There is no getting around how incredibly stupid that whole thought process was by Hyde.

#53 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,419 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 10:15 PM

I am proud to say that I'm ahead of the curve in claiming the save is a useless statistic, cuz you simply have no idea how many high leverage situations will appear, beyond the first one. 

FWIW, I've always viewed Hyde as much of a puppet as any of the managers currently in the game, Boone included. 

#54 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,278 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 10:22 PM

I am proud to say that I'm ahead of the curve in claiming the save is a useless statistic, cuz you simply have no idea how many high leverage situations will appear, beyond the first one.

FWIW, I've always viewed Hyde as much of a puppet as any of the managers currently in the game, Boone included.

Hes a robot for sure. I dont think he has much of a feel for most situations

#55 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 06 May 2023 - 11:28 PM

Hyde loss. Was inevitable. Just butchering games. Brimgs Baker back out after the tightrope in the 7th. Goes to Coulombe who can ne pinch hit for and even if he got Pillar Albies kills lefties. Just brimg in Cano and you dont have to worry about matchups. My god is he trash

I think the decision not to use Cano was made before the game and not when that particular situation arose. The Orioles did need over five innings from the bullpen on Thursday (including two from Cano) despite having had an 8-1 lead. Or, to put it more bluntly, if Grayson Rodriguez had pitched better two days ago, maybe Cano would have been available today.

Coulombe has been good lately, save for the last two outings, but I'll admit that he threw an awful pitch to Pillar.

• JoyinMudville likes this

#56 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 916 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 01:17 AM

I missed the post game, but I'd love to hear what Hyde had to say about this. Assuming of course, the men and women covering the game saw fit to ask that question. 

He said that Cano had recently pitched two innings and they weren't going to him tonight

#57 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,015 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 05:38 AM

Can't win them all. Get today's game and take another series.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#58 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,456 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 07:20 AM

It’s understandable if Cano wasn’t available. He has been pitching a lot lately. 

It was nice to see Perez pitch well. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#59 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,350 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 07:36 AM

It’s understandable if Cano wasn’t available. He has been pitching a lot lately. 

It was nice to see Perez pitch well. 

As of Thursday, he had been on the team for 18 team games, and had 11 appearance and 14 innings. That stretch is a full season pace of 99 appearances and 126 innings. That's a ton, obviously. And he threw 32 pitches Thursday. I'm no Hyde apologist, but nothing wrong with giving Cano a couple days off.

Agree on Perez, he has maybe a week+ till Tate comes back to earn his spot. Unfortunately Baumann is trying to make the decision easier.

#60 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,058 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 07 May 2023 - 08:17 AM

I only got to see the last 3 innings. My short take - we got out managed. There aren't that many games over a season where the in game decisions end up as the bottom line. Last night was one of those.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=