Posted 05 May 2023 - 08:46 AM

Dean Kremer vs Max Fried

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,000 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 08:46 AM

Surprised, thought they would have made the Kremer / Irvin switch here.

#3 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,552 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:12 AM

Not crazy about these pitching match-ups this series.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#4 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:13 AM

First serious test of the season. Three tough pitchers on the road against a really good Atlanta team. Honestly, I think we should be happy to go 1-2 this weekend.

#5 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:26 AM

Not crazy about these pitching match-ups this series.

I think the Braves are gonna win most pitching matchups against anybody.

Didn't realize how good Fried has been this year, wow. Let's have some regression to normal.

I'm also surprised they stuck with Kremer.

#6 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,701 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:31 AM

Atlanta has a 912 OPS against LHP so far this season.  Might explain the rationale for not making the switch to Irvin.

• Hooded Viper and makoman like this

#7 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,177 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:33 AM

I think the Braves are gonna win most pitching matchups against anybody.

Didn't realize how good Fried has been this year, wow. Let's have some regression to normal.

I'm also surprised they stuck with Kremer.

Hyde or Elias or both have this affinity for Kremer.  Why I have no idea.  The guy is horrible.  He throws batting practice.  Unless this starting pitching improves radically and fast, the next 6 games are going to be ugly.  They're arguably the best teams in their respective leagues.  Without competitive pitching, you have no chance.  They're going to have to get their heads out of their collective asses and also play solid, fundamental baseball including defense.  If they come out of this stretch 3-3, I think we should be grateful. 

• BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#8 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 May 2023 - 12:47 PM

I think they are hoping to see the Kremer they saw last year.  That and it is not like they are loaded with options to call up.

I think if Kremer gets blitzed tonight, we will see Irvin replace him.

The issue is Bradish, Gibson and yesterday GR have also struggled.

@mikeghg

#9 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 12:52 PM

I think we're about to find out what these guys are really made of

#10 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,827 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:02 PM

Whats that even mean? They are garbage if they go 1-5 or 2-4 in their next 6? As if losing 4 or 5 out of 6 to any team says anything.

• Mackus likes this

#11 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,827 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:07 PM

Whats that even mean? They are garbage if they go 1-5 or 2-4 in their next 6? As if losing 4 or 5 out of 6 to any team says anything.

More to this point we saw in the Passan article linked in the other thread that they are 87-64 since recalling Adley. Jst so happens that is closing in on a full years worth of games. So a 90-95 win pace. They played plenty of good teams from May 21 on last year. So why all the damn skepticism of this core.

#12 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:15 PM

Top 4 teams in MLB are TB, ATL, BAL, and PIT. 

O's next three series are ATL, TB, and PIT. 

It's a test for sure. 

• JStruds likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#13 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 May 2023 - 01:21 PM

Top 4 teams in MLB are TB, ATL, BAL, and PIT. 

O's next three series are ATL, TB, and PIT. 

It's a test for sure. 

Yes it is, but let's get to it and see what the Orioles can do.  The Orioles are better than in past years.  We will see how much.  

@mikeghg

#14 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 May 2023 - 02:23 PM

If only one is an option, I’d rather be better than those teams come September and October than May. Both would be preferred. It’s a test but it isn’t a very meaningful one IMO. There will still be ~120 whole games left even if they do shit the bed during this stretch.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,232 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 05 May 2023 - 04:17 PM

I don't think this will happen but my potential concern with any young team in any sport is how they handle a really bad stretch. Do they keep loose, keep their heads up, and play through it. Or do they fold like a cheap tent.

There seem to be some pretty tough kids on this team. But there seems to also be a couple of pitchers who I worry about folding and we don't have a lot of cavalry coming to the rescue in that department.

#16 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 05:54 PM

I think the statement is pretty self explanatory but just for you... 

They've racked up a lot of wins against some pretty darn mediocre teams which is what they're supposed to do. We're now going to see how they hold up and compete against two of the very best teams in baseball.

Hopefully, they'll rise to the occasion.

#17 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,827 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 05:57 PM

And if they go 1-5 or 2-4 you gonna read anything into that. I know there are people around here who will jump off a cliff. Call us pretenders. Etc. You one of them?

#18 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 06:00 PM

WHAT'S TRENDING: The O's have won 13 of their last 16 games, 15 of their last 19, and 17 of their last 22...The .773 winning percentage (17-5) since April 10 is the best in the big leagues over that stretch...The 21-10 overall record is tied for the third-best start through the first 31 games of a season in team history (since 1954), done in 1994, 2005,and 2017, and trailing the 22-9 marks in 1970 and 1997 (see chart at right).

OPENING STATEMENTS: Baltimore is 10-0 in series openers to begin the 2023 campaign, the only team to have won all of their series openers this season...The streak of 10 consecutive series-opening victories to begin a season is the longest in club history (since 1954) and the longest by any MLB team since the 1973 San Francisco Giants won their first 11 series openers, per the Elias Sports Bureau...It is tied with the 1963 Orioles - who also won 10 straight from July 23 to August 23 - for the fourth- longest streak at any point in a season in O's history...The club record is 11 straight series-opening wins, done three times: May 16 to June 18, 1980; May 23 to June 20, 1978; and August 30 to September 30, 1974.

ON THE ATTACK: Baltimore ranks fourth in the AL and sixth in MLB with 171 runs scored after finishing 10th in the AL and 20th in MLB with 674 runs in 2022...The Birds rank among AL teams in walks (1st, 127), on-base percentage (3rd,.341), slugging percentage (4th, .430), and OPS (4th, .771).

KING OF THE CASTLE: Ryan Mountcastle has reached base safely in 13 straight games, tying the team high this season (Rutschman, 4/3-16) and the second-longest on-base streak of his career behind a 17-gamer from July 28 to August 26, 2021...His last seven hits have gone for extra bases (5-2B, 2 HR) since April 30...Mountcastle has an extra-base hit in four straight games, tied for the second-longest such stretch of his career behind a six-gamer from May 31 to June 6, 2021...Prior to this stretch, his previous 13 knocks were all singles from April 14-29 (G2)..

QUICK HITS: Adley Rutschman has reached base safely 59 times this year (35 H, 24 BB, which leads the AL and ranks second in MLB behind Atlanta's Ronald Acuña Jr. (65)...Jorge Mateo now qualifies for the MLB leaderboard, where he ranks among AL leaders in slugging (4th, .595), batting average (5th, .321), and OPS (5th, .967).

O's Against Fried

Frazier • 222 avg • 2 for 9

Hays • 000 avg • 0 for 3

Mateo • 333 avg • 1 for 3

McCann • 000 avg • 0 for 9

Mountcastle • 250 avg • 1 for 4

Mullins • 000 avg • 0 for 4

Urias • 000 avg • 0 for 3

https://img.mlbstati...y5mxnn58ik2.pdf

#19 JoyinMudville

JoyinMudville

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 978 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 06:02 PM

And if they go 1-5 or 2-4 you gonna read anything into that. I know there are people around here who will jump off a cliff. Call us pretenders. Etc. You one of them?

Um... have you been drinking?

You're the one constantly soiling his undergarments about outfield practice, Gunnar, and the manager.

Enjoy the game.

• Mike in STL likes this

#20 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,827 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 06:08 PM

Um... have you been drinking?

You're the one constantly soiling his undergarments about outfield practice, Gunnar, and the manager.

Enjoy the game.

Said it before will say it again. Start contributing something of substance to the board. Not the crap you copy and paste two posts up that no one ever reads

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=