#1 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 11 January 2012 - 12:33 PM

I think it's worth mentioning how much Kobe has elevated his game in the beginning of the season. He's on pace for his highest PPG since 06-07, highest RPG since 07-08 and highest APG since 04-05. Obviously, we're only 11 games in so you have to consider the sample size, but considering he's had a nagging hand injury, it's incredibly impressive. I was ready to write them off, but with him playing like this and a healthy Bynum, anything is possible.

@AdamWolff

#2 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 12 January 2012 - 09:21 PM

I think it's worth mentioning how much Kobe has elevated his game in the beginning of the season. He's on pace for his highest PPG since 06-07, highest RPG since 07-08 and highest APG since 04-05. Obviously, we're only 11 games in so you have to consider the sample size, but considering he's had a nagging hand injury, it's incredibly impressive. I was ready to write them off, but with him playing like this and a healthy Bynum, anything is possible.

NBC / ProBasketballTalk: Can Kobe keep scoring like this?
http://probasketball...for-the-lakers/

#3 Adam Wolff

Adam Wolff

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,294 posts
  • LocationWaynesboro, PA

Posted 13 January 2012 - 10:14 AM

I don't think Kobe can/should sustain a pace where he's scoring this much. He took 31 shots in each of his 40 point games, which is too much. But for the season, he's averaging 30.3 PPG, which I think he can sustain and would be good for the team.

The article mentions that this is how Kobe was scoring whenever Smush Parker and Kwame Brown were around, which is kind of what it made me think of. I remember hearing analysis a few years ago that was basically, "The more points Kobe scores, the worse the Lakers played". I would have agreed with that sentiment most years, but this year is different to me.

For one, there's a huge difference between guys like Smush Parker and Kwame Brown and the current roster. The writer in the article uses that to make his point that the Lakers don't need Kobe to do this, because there are the very talented Gasol and Bynum to pick up the slack. That's true, but I look at it a different way.

To take a look at some stats, and I'll stick with Kwame and Smush, since that's who the article referenced, they put a combined average of 19.2 PPG in the 05-06 and 06-07 seasons, the two they spent with LA. Both did very little in other statistical categories. In both of these seasons, the only other viable scoring option was Lamar Odom. I think it's safe to say both Kwame and Smush averaged those points, not because of any particular talent level, but because they were two warm bodies that received solid playing time. Defenses could completely focus on Kobe, and due to the utter lack of talent around him, Kobe was most likely still going to be putting up the shot. Basically no other choice. Not a good basketball team.

Now, let's look at the 11-12 team. Kobe's FGs attempted are very similar to those years, so I think we can make a fair comparison. This team has less scoring options than in years past, but is nowhere near as devoid of talent as those earlier Lakers teams. In Gasol and Bynum, Kobe has two players that, regardless of what Kobe is doing, defenses have to pay attention to and honor. To describe it in a not so scientific way, the quality of the shots Kobe is able to take in 2012 is significantly higher than in 06. Also, unlike Smush and Kwame, when Kobe is putting up 31 shots, Bynum and Gasol are not worthlessly standing around watching. In Kobe's 2 40+ games, Gasol averaged 15 and 11.5 and Bynum put up 12 and 8.5. Even with Kobe dominating the offense, the two of them should have no trouble each averaging double doubles, or close to.

@AdamWolff

#4 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 16 February 2012 - 08:25 PM

ESPN: Gasol unsure of Lakes future
http://espn.go.com/l...-trade-my-hands

#5 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:13 PM

I love that Bynum got that chance at the end, make or miss. Of course it's even better that he made it! This could be a turning point for the Lakers. It would be nice to have Bynum more consistently involved in the offense and for him and Gasol to get some touches in crucial moments. The team is too predictable in those moments and Kobe's stats (and watching) don't support the perception of him being such a great closer.

#6 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 11 March 2012 - 05:17 PM

I think you have to expect the Lakers to be a tough out. Blake has been hitting some open 3s since he got back in the lineup. I still think they could use another quicker, defensive oriented guard to go against some of the elite PG's they could face.

#7 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:24 PM

The Lakers were active today.

Sent Kapono and Luke to the Cavs for Ramon Sessions, who should help quite a bit. It's also nice to get Luke off the books.

Then they dealt Fisher and the 1st round pick they got from the Mavs for Jordan Hill. Pretty much a cost cutting move.

It's sad to see Fish and Luke go, but neither are even decent players at this point. While the Fish move is a cost cutting move, I think it may be helpful solely because it gets him off the court and it would have been difficult to bench him and/or greatly reduce his playing time. His leadership will very likely be missed, though.

#8 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Sessions is looking like a great pickup so far, while Bynum is blossoming into a superstar!

Even with the loss last night, things are looking up for the Lake Show.

#9 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Including his first two games of the month where he shot very well, Kobe is only shooting 40% from the field this month, yet he's shooting the ball almost 23 times a game. Meanwhile, Bynum is shooting nearly 64% while shooting just under 14 times a game.

Anyone see the problem?

Despite shooting the worst he has since his rookie year, Kobe is shooting more shots per game than every season but 2 and has his second highest usage rate. Dumb.

And add a nice 3-21 game to end the month.

#10 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 09:02 AM

How about Bynum with his 30 boards last night? More importantly a win at San Antonio, with Kobe not available.

The artist formerly known as Ron Artest also had a big game, finishing with 26 points.

#11 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Interviewed today, Bryant said he would return prior to the playoffs. Without further set-backs, his time away could have been good for the Lakers.

#12 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:42 AM

The Lakers are one of 3 teams that can win the championship IMO.

(Bulls, Heat, Lakers).

Not saying the Lakers will win the West (in fact, I'd venture that Ok City is still the favorite) but the Lakers are the only team out West that can win the NBA title.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#13 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:49 AM

The Lakers are one of 3 teams that can win the championship IMO.

(Bulls, Heat, Lakers).

Not saying the Lakers will win the West (in fact, I'd venture that Ok City is still the favorite) but the Lakers are the only team out West that can win the NBA title.

You are nuts if you don't think the Thunder can win the title. Seriously...nuts.

There are 5-7 teams IMO that could realistically win the title.

Bulls, Heat, Lakers, Spurs, and Thunder are the undisputed 5 IMO, with the Clippers and Grizzlies having an outside chance.

Tough not to put the Mavs in there since but they just don't have the horses or the mindset to do it this season IMO.
@PeterDiLutis

#14 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

You are nuts if you don't think the Thunder can win the title. Seriously...nuts.

Bulls, Heat, Lakers, Spurs, and Thunder are the undisputed 5 IMO, with the Clippers and Grizzlies having an outside chance.

Tough not to put the Mavs in there since but they just don't have the horses or the mindset to do it this season IMO.

Uhhh, actually I'm not nuts. Did you see what happened to the Thunder last post-season? What has changed? When the game is on the line will Westbrook defer to Durant like he should? How will they match up with the size of the Lakers should those teams meet in the West Finals? Are Perkins (who the bigs did well against in the '10 finals) enough? I suppose they'd have a shot to beat Chicago or Miami since anything can happen in a best of 7, but I'd still put my money on either of the East teams.

@bopper33

#15 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:23 PM

I agree that's it's crazy to think the Thunder can't win.

I'd rank the teams chances of winning a title like this:

Heat, Bulls, Thunder, Lakers, Spurs, Grizzlies

Their bigs can play the Lakers better than most teams bigs, and they've had no issues matching up with the Lakers this year, beating them by 24 in their two matchups. They've out-rebounded the Lakers both times and have controlled one of the two bigs in each game. They also match up well with Kobe, who has insisted on shooting 49 times in the two games despite only making 14 shots.

Hopefully Kobe will adjust his game some as he is seeing how well the team is playing without him.

And of course the Lakers will likely have a tough road to just get to the WCF's.

#16 PD24

PD24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:10 PM

I agree that's it's crazy to think the Thunder can't win.

I'd rank the teams chances of winning a title like this:

Heat, Bulls, Thunder, Lakers, Spurs, Grizzlies

Their bigs can play the Lakers better than most teams bigs, and they've had no issues matching up with the Lakers this year, beating them by 24 in their two matchups. They've out-rebounded the Lakers both times and have controlled one of the two bigs in each game. They also match up well with Kobe, who has insisted on shooting 49 times in the two games despite only making 14 shots.

Hopefully Kobe will adjust his game some as he is seeing how well the team is playing without him.

And of course the Lakers will likely have a tough road to just get to the WCF's.

It will be interesting to see how Kobe does adjust after seeing his team play really well without him. I've been hard on Mike Brown but I gotta say, he's impressed me and he should be given some props for how this team is playing. In a lot of cases, you can't really see a system (see Sidney Lowe and Vinny Del Negro in Chicago) but you can see that the Lakers do play within a system and are well-coached.

I'd put the Bulls behind the Thunder only because I think the Thunder match up better with SA than the Bulls do with the Heat.

I know the Bulls have had success the past two years in the regular season against Miami but until the Bulls get a real scoring option besides Rose, I don't see them holding up in a 7 game series against Miami, even with home-court advantage.

I think the Thunder have an easier road to the finals. The Heat will be favored in a series with the Bulls even if Chicago has home-court. The Thunder will be favorites in every series until the finals.

My rankings would be Miami, OKC, Bulls, Lakers, Spurs, Grizzlies, Clippers.
@PeterDiLutis

#17 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,619 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 10:28 AM

I'm square in the camp of NOT wanting to move for Dwight Howard anymore. Depending where Howard ends up, Andrew Bynum could end up being the best center in the league next year.

And, yes, mweb, I am finally in the camp of Kobe needing to defer more. The Lakers' biggest weapon is their size in the front-court -- there isn't a single team in the league that can match up with them like that.

Excited for these playoffs!

@bopper33

#18 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

I'm square in the camp of NOT wanting to move for Dwight Howard anymore. Depending where Howard ends up, Andrew Bynum could end up being the best center in the league next year.

And, yes, mweb, I am finally in the camp of Kobe needing to defer more. The Lakers' biggest weapon is their size in the front-court -- there isn't a single team in the league that can match up with them like that.

Excited for these playoffs!

Took you long enough. ;)

This year has been worse than usual with him shooting more than normal despite shooting less effective than ever. And that's with Bynum becoming a superstar.

#19 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

Am I nuts for thinking Artest didn't elbow Harden on purpose?
@beginthebegin71

#20 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

Am I nuts for thinking Artest didn't elbow Harden on purpose?

Looked like it was on purpose to me. Regardless, there's no excuse for him swinging his elbow like that with a guy next to him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=