86 replies to this topic

#81 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 10:47 AM

Its not neccesary. Youre not doing him any real good. He thought he had the day off. Obviously Hyde said I could use you to PH. Im sure he wasnt expecting it in that situation. But the point here is Im being told this stuff is gameplanned ahead of time with FO. How can that be gameplanned ahead of time. It doesnt add up. Something like lineup construction and who to start against certain pitchers or types of pitchers. See that for sure. Im sure Hyde is being advised on what the computers feel is best matchups against certain guys and how to build the batting order. Which is essentially jUst looking at stats and matchups which every manager does. For in game stuff, a broad outline maybe, but these are Hydes decisions. The game moves too fast and there are too many scenarios to game flow to think you can manage that from upstsirs.

#82 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,712 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 11:06 AM

Disagree that things like whether to PH a righty for a lefty against specific bullpen pitchers can't be scripted ahead of time.  There aren't that many permutations in a baseball game.  Could very easily come up with a chart that shows the starting lineup and then if you're gonna PH or let them bat against each possible bullpen matchup.  Could even be weighted to show how good/bad the matchup is for each guy and each possible replacement.

They determine ahead of time exactly where to shift the defense for every batter not just in general but depending on handedness of the pitcher and it even changes based on count in many cases (was more obvious before they banned the shift).  Its a pretty easy assumption to think they could do the same thing in reverse in trying to get their best batting matchups against different pitchers.

Deciding to actually pull the trigger on a change is a managerial decision.  But I think he's very likely being trained on how to evaluate and make these decisions by upstairs.

• You Play to Win the Game and makoman like this

#83 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,933 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 11:12 AM

I saw recently that the O's were something like #2 in MLB in percentage of at-bats against opposite-handed pitchers (I think it was 66%).  I guess that could be because of roster construction, Hyde's strategy, or a directive from the front office, but it's happening (and we saw it last night with McKenna pinch hitting for Stowers and then Gunnar hitting for McKenna).

• makoman likes this

#84 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 May 2023 - 11:17 AM

Its not neccesary. Youre not doing him any real good. He thought he had the day off. Obviously Hyde said I could use you to PH. Im sure he wasnt expecting it in that situation. But the point here is Im being told this stuff is gameplanned ahead of time with FO. How can that be gameplanned ahead of time. It doesnt add up. Something like lineup construction and who to start against certain pitchers or types of pitchers. See that for sure. Im sure Hyde is being advised on what the computers feel is best matchups against certain guys and how to build the batting order. Which is essentially jUst looking at stats and matchups which every manager does. For in game stuff, a broad outline maybe, but these are Hydes decisions. The game moves too fast and there are too many scenarios to game flow to think you can manage that from upstsirs.

Seriously, you are upset that they gave him one at bat on a day off???  

@mikeghg

#85 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 11:18 AM

Yeah, it is apparent that they care a lot about platoon situations. Whether this is a mandate from Elias or not, he at least has given his tacit approval because it happens so much. Like Mackus said I think it is pretty easy to script these things ahead of time and I would imagine Elias has a ton of input in such a script. Whether one should adhere to the script with 2 outs in the 9th of a 6-0 game is another matter.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#86 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 11:30 AM

Disagree that things like whether to PH a righty for a lefty against specific bullpen pitchers can't be scripted ahead of time. There aren't that many permutations in a baseball game. Could very easily come up with a chart that shows the starting lineup and then if you're gonna PH or let them bat against each possible bullpen matchup. Could even be weighted to show how good/bad the matchup is for each guy and each possible replacement.

They determine ahead of time exactly where to shift the defense for every batter not just in general but depending on handedness of the pitcher and it even changes based on count in many cases (was more obvious before they banned the shift). Its a pretty easy assumption to think they could do the same thing in reverse in trying to get their best batting matchups against different pitchers.

Deciding to actually pull the trigger on a change is a managerial decision. But I think he's very likely being trained on how to evaluate and make these decisions by upstairs.

I would imagine all teams chart the things you are saying. Im not saying there arent "cheat sheets". What I am saying is I dont for a second think Hyde is being told or made to feel he has to be a slave to them. Especially in lower lev situations. He has no feel for managing a game.

#87 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,553 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 12:31 PM

First time we were shut out this year.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=