44 replies to this topic

#21 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 07:40 AM

Simpson seems like an insane athletic freak, more so even than Queen. But unlike Queen, Simpson was PFF's #1 LB in the class because they loved his coverage. And he’s also willing to work through traffic and seems like a sure tackler eta: some say not yet. Seems like he played everywhere except outside CB: on the line, off the ball, Mike, will, edge, slot, box or overhang safety, QB spy. Interesting versatility.

They might still trade Queen, probably would if they were happy with the value return, but I can see them both playing at the same time for a year. This is a 3rd round pick, Hamilton was #14 and was brought along slowly at first. He can play some edge with Queen in and replace Queen some for coverage.

CB is definitely the need, but still some vets available and still a few available today. Draft somebody today and sign one or two next week and maybe that’s fine.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#22 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 April 2023 - 07:45 AM

They are clearly going the free agent road, in regard to the corner position. Does anyone really think that they are going to start a 3rd round pick at corner in this division?

@mikeghg

#23 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 07:53 AM

They are clearly going the free agent road, in regard to the corner position. Does anyone really think that they are going to start a 3rd round pick at corner in this division?

Webb was a 3rd. Tavon was a 4th. Both were good players, but I don’t recall how much they played as rookies though.

#24 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 April 2023 - 07:57 AM

Webb was a 3rd. Tavon was a 4th. Both were good players, but I don’t recall how much they played as rookies though.

I don't either.  I just think the moment they took Flowers with the first pick, the plan had to be to sign a FA.  I think Peters or Rock Ya-Sin are two of the possibilities, but June 1st cuts will likely provide other possibilities.

• makoman likes this
@mikeghg

#25 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 April 2023 - 07:59 AM

EDC said 7 of the 8 targeted players for our third pick were gone.  he also said he was very surprised Simpson was still on the board.  The Ravens love their fast linebackers.

@mikeghg

#26 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 07:59 AM

I don't either.  I just think the moment they took Flowers with the first pick, the plan had to be to sign a FA.  I think Peters or Rock Ya-Sin are two of the possibilities, but June 1st cuts will likely provide other possibilities.

I agree. 

#27 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 08:03 AM

I don't either. I just think the moment they took Flowers with the first pick, the plan had to be to sign a FA. I think Peters or Rock Ya-Sin are two of the possibilities, but June 1st cuts will likely provide other possibilities.

I think you’re right. Can’t really expect draft picks to start outside the first round, of course it happens but it’s hard to bank on it. So if you don’t see any available CB as a clear first year starter might as well go BPA and sign vets.

#28 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 08:14 AM

EDC said that Simpson was just the best player there. I trust it. They will find a corner somewhere just like they found Peters years ago.

#29 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 08:24 AM

Of course they're going to add a veteran or two. And I'm all for taking a freak athlete who's BPA when you get into the 3rd and 4th round. You could argue Kelee Ringo fits that description as well.

But since 2020, they've spent 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks now on acquiring off-ball LBs, plus $100 million. It seems like overkill for a position that just doesn't have the same impact anymore. If they spent that kind of capital on RBs, people would lose their minds too.

I'm going to try to focus mostly on the positive, and I hope Simpson is as versatile as I'm reading and quickly becomes an impact player. A Queen trade would have come as absolutely no surprise prior to this pick, so we're all expecting it now. Because how often are you even in a base defense these days?

#30 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 08:28 AM

CBS Sports: 
https://www.cbssport...ell-washington/

86. Ravens: Trenton Simpson, LB, Clemson

Grade: B+

Explosive, in-space linebacker who's a better athlete than a LB right now. Minimal ball production and misses plenty of tackles. Super fast. This is the right range for him. 

#31 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 08:31 AM

Ravens.com: Ravens Select Ultra-Athletic, Versatile LB Trenton Simpson in Third Round

https://www.baltimor...cker-2023-draft

#32 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 08:32 AM

#33 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,201 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 08:34 AM

Really don't know much about him but at least on a rookie level, I would hope he'd perform better than Queen did.  You can't do much worse.  And with Smith alongside of him, he has someone watching his back, unlike Queen, who was more or less thrown into the water without a life preserver. 

#34 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 08:35 AM

EDC said that Simpson was just the best player there. I trust it. They will find a corner somewhere just like they found Peters years ago.

Of course he said that. They're not going to say they thought there were better players, but we took this guy instead.

We took him at a spot a lot lower than where he was ranked by most. The talent is there. The athletic ability is enticing. Maybe he can turn the corner that Patrick Queen got stuck in.

In the end, it was a pick for future seasons, not this one. I get it. I trust the Ravens FO and scouting department. If we go into the season with Stephens as our CB2, that's on the FO and EDC. Let's see what happens today and post draft though. A lot of offseason left.
  • 85Knight likes this

#35 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 29 April 2023 - 08:43 AM

Of course he said that. They're not going to say they thought there were better players, but we took this guy instead.

We took him at a spot a lot lower than where he was ranked by most. The talent is there. The athletic ability is enticing. Maybe he can turn the corner that Patrick Queen got stuck in.

In the end, it was a pick for future seasons, not this one. I get it. I trust the Ravens FO and scouting department. If we go into the season with Stephens as our CB2, that's on the FO and EDC. Let's see what happens today and post draft though. A lot of offseason left.

I'm trying to like this pick.  Apparently he played a decent amount of defensive back at Clemson.  About 12 percent of his snaps in the secondary, according to PFF.  So he's sort of a bigger version of Kyle Hamilton.  If he can actually cover TEs then he can be our big nickel guy, while Hamilton goes back to fill in for Clark.

I still don't like this pick but if that's their rationale I can squint and see it.

#36 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 08:52 AM

Simpson seems like an insane athletic freak, more so even than Queen. But unlike Queen, Simpson was PFF's #1 LB in the class because they loved his coverage. And he’s also willing to work through traffic and seems like a sure tackler eta: some say not yet. Seems like he played everywhere except outside CB: on the line, off the ball, Mike, will, edge, slot, box or overhang safety, QB spy. Interesting versatility.

Maybe I'm mis-reading, or not understanding what you mean here. But PFF did not have him ranked #1 in the LB class. He was their 5th. (still high ranking) And they highlighted his inability in coverage to locate his man, or locate the ball while in coverage. And even mention he is raw in the middle, only playing one season at ILB. And he has issues approaching, and getting through traffic. Also, for as much as he played coverage roles, he had 0 INT's and 2 career pass break-ups.

He's Patrick Queen 2.0. They probably aren't picking up Queen's 5th year option. And this is their immediate contingency plan. That's fine. Would have preferred Ringo. Another prospect ranked well above where we were picking, except he would give us potential at a huge postion of need.

#37 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 08:59 AM

Maybe I'm mis-reading, or not understanding what you mean here. But PFF did not have him ranked #1 in the LB class. He was their 5th. (still high ranking) And they highlighted his inability in coverage to locate his man, or locate the ball while in coverage. And even mention he is raw in the middle, only playing one season at ILB. And he has issues approaching, and getting through traffic. Also, for as much as he played coverage roles, he had 0 INT's and 2 career pass break-ups.

He's Patrick Queen 2.0. They probably aren't picking up Queen's 5th year option. And this is their immediate contingency plan. That's fine. Would have preferred Ringo. Another prospect ranked well above where we were picking, except he would give us potential at a huge postion of need.

I was going off this article, so perhaps I misunderstood it as being pff’s final or official ranking and it was just that particular author’s. Also it is from January so things change a lot. If so, my apologies for being inaccurate.

I don’t follow college at all, I’ve just been looking at a lot of stuff and there seems to be contradictory info out there. So yeah nothing I said should be considered consensus. Except the athletic freak part.

https://www.pff.com/...backer-rankings

#38 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 09:05 AM

EDC said 7 of the 8 targeted players for our third pick were gone.  he also said he was very surprised Simpson was still on the board.  The Ravens love their fast linebackers.

I think EDC was targeting Riley Moss and the Broncos jumped ahead and took him.  EDC was left scrambling and went with best player on their board. 

#39 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 09:07 AM

I was going off this article, so perhaps I misunderstood it as being pff’s final or official ranking and it was just that particular author’s. Also it is from January so things change a lot. If so, my apologies for being inaccurate.

I don’t follow college at all, I’ve just been looking at a lot of stuff and there seems to be contradictory info out there. So yeah nothing I said should be considered consensus. Except the athletic freak part.

https://www.pff.com/...backer-rankings

No problem. I was confused and thought maybe I was reading the wrong thing.

I'm fine with the player. Hopefully it clicks for him a lot quicker, and more consistently than it did for Queen.

Maybe Ringo continues to slip and we can grab him in the 4th. Doubtful, I feel like he's that guy that keeps falling, and no one knows why. Then after the draft, a bunch of stuff comes out explaining why.

I remember a while back, Ryan Swope was a 2nd round, borderline 1st round prospect. He put up massive numbers in college. Then at the combine ran a low 4.3, a 6.7 three cone, had a 40 inch vertical and put up like 20 reps in the bench press. Then fell to like the late 6th round, and no one knew why. Then it came out that he had suffered like 40 concussions in college and high school, and was already showing signs of concussion syndrome, and was one concussion away from being forced into retirement.

Almost have to wonder if their is something here with Ringo that teams know, but the general public doesn't.

#40 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 10:07 AM

I'm good with the pick.  I know Queen's "level of play" went up after the Smith addition, but my eyes still saw a guy that over-ran gaps and missed one on one tackles in space too often.  Makes a big difference in forcing the punt team on and ending drives sooner.  I like the concept of building a play making, athletic, aggressive LB corps again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=