#61 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 April 2023 - 03:54 PM

I think it's unfair to ask him to be Tyreek, but Elijah Moore would be just fine.

I'll even take Hollywood's production.

We have Bateman and OBJ behind him.  If he has an off day we have 2 talented guys behind him to back him up.  And we still have Andrews.  An offense with Lamar as its QB only needs 2 or 3 solid receiving threats, and we have 4.

#62 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 04:09 PM

I'll even take Hollywood's production.

We have Bateman and OBJ behind him. If he has an off day we have 2 talented guys behind him to back him up. And we still have Andrews. An offense with Lamar as its QB only needs 2 or 3 solid receiving threats, and we have 4.

I think we may need to temper expectations. I don't see them playing him as a true X-reciever. At least not in his rookie season.

#63 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 04:19 PM

I think we may need to temper expectations. I don't see them playing him as a true X-reciever. At least not in his rookie season.

I'm fine with him playing Z.  Hollywood was productive there.  He could use the extra space to keep himself from getting jammed at the LOS, and Bateman/OBJ can play X.  Andrews is our slot receiver for all intents and purposes.

#64 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 05:00 PM

I think it's unfair to ask him to be Tyreek, but Elijah Moore would be just fine.

Flowers pretty much was Tyreek in college.  Now as to whether he can be as productive we can only wait and see, Flowers certainly has the skill set to do so.  

#65 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 05:15 PM

Flowers pretty much was Tyreek in college. Now as to whether he can be as productive we can only wait and see, Flowers certainly has the skill set to do so.

While Flowers is fast, I don't think he touches Hill.

I feel like Flowers compares very similarly to Diante Johnson. At least as far as skill set. Johnson is extremely underrated. Phenomenal route runner. Phenomenal lateral agility, and ability to make people miss at an elite level. Flowers has a lot of the same. He may be short, but he has a little Smith Sr in him as well. He can make people miss, and he actually has some surprising power on the move.

I think we get a little shell shocked to start the season, by how many screens we see getting called. Monken utilized screen passes at a very high rate. And I think Flowers was a target specifically for those plays. We now have 4 WR's in OBJ, Bateman, Duvernay and Flowers who are all great after the catch. Without seeing Monkens actual game plans play out, it's hard to say for sure. But I feel like we're going to see a lot of death by a thousand cuts (short, quick passes) type of passing game, mixed with some well timed deep shots.

I'm excited to see our offense potentially go no-huddle, hurry up, with the horses they have to make the explosive plays. Offense really has the potential to be an elite unit.

#66 SonicAttack

SonicAttack
  • Members
  • 403 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 05:21 PM

I'm excited to see our offense potentially go no-huddle, hurry up, with the horses they have to make the explosive plays. Offense really has the potential to be an elite unit.

Same - I was so frustrated with Roman's O; I am interested to see how Monken devises schemes for these WRs. 

#67 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 05:21 PM

While Flowers is fast, I don't think he touches Hill.

I feel like Flowers compares very similarly to Diante Johnson. At least as far as skill set. Johnson is extremely underrated. Phenomenal route runner. Phenomenal lateral agility, and ability to make people miss at an elite level. Flowers has a lot of the same. He may be short, but he has a little Smith Sr in him as well. He can make people miss, and he actually has some surprising power on the move.

I think we get a little shell shocked to start the season, by how many screens we see getting called. Monken utilized screen passes at a very high rate. And I think Flowers was a target specifically for those plays. We now have 4 WR's in OBJ, Bateman, Duvernay and Flowers who are all great after the catch. Without seeing Monkens actual game plans play out, it's hard to say for sure. But I feel like we're going to see a lot of death by a thousand cuts (short, quick passes) type of passing game, mixed with some well timed deep shots.

I think the times that you use a screen with Lamar under center are pretty limited.  If you have a team going HAM cover-0, single-high all game with 5 or 6 rushers every play then maybe.  But a lot of teams opt for zones to contain Lamar and I don't think you get enough defensive movement to be able to throw passes behind the pass rush in those scenarios.

Monken might utilize it a little more often than Roman, and Lamar has struggled the past couple years against the blitz, so it's possible that an occasional screen might do them some good, but I don't think it's going to be a huge part of the offense.

#68 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 06:27 PM

I think the times that you use a screen with Lamar under center are pretty limited. If you have a team going HAM cover-0, single-high all game with 5 or 6 rushers every play then maybe. But a lot of teams opt for zones to contain Lamar and I don't think you get enough defensive movement to be able to throw passes behind the pass rush in those scenarios.

Monken might utilize it a little more often than Roman, and Lamar has struggled the past couple years against the blitz, so it's possible that an occasional screen might do them some good, but I don't think it's going to be a huge part of the offense.

You may be right. I'm just basing my assumption by how he ran his offense at Georgia. It is college vs NFL. But screen passes off of the read option PA were a huge part of his offense. I'd also argue that screens aren't only effective against blitzes or man defenses. Properly executed screens can be successful against any defensive alignment. When Hill was with KC, they faced almost exclusively deep cover 3 zones to take away Hill. And Reid uses screens as much as anyone in his offense, usually to great success.

#69 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 07:47 PM

Yup. Beckham, Bateman, Flowers, and Andrews all on the field together and healthy is just a fantasy. I'm sure by week 12 we'll be starting Agohlar, Duvernay, and Proche.

Jesus you truly walk around with a thundercloud over your head don’t you? I can’t recall a single positive post you have ever made. That pessimism would depress the hell out of me.
  • Mike B likes this

#70 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 08:12 PM

You may be right. I'm just basing my assumption by how he ran his offense at Georgia. It is college vs NFL. But screen passes off of the read option PA were a huge part of his offense. I'd also argue that screens aren't only effective against blitzes or man defenses. Properly executed screens can be successful against any defensive alignment. When Hill was with KC, they faced almost exclusively deep cover 3 zones to take away Hill. And Reid uses screens as much as anyone in his offense, usually to great success.

I think it's more about the defensive attention Lamar brings.  If you're going to have a spy on Lamar then that defender isn't going to overcommit and thus be out of position when the screen pass is thrown.

I think one area where it could be used effectively in a Lamar offense is as an RPO.  It would basically be a variant of the read-option run, but instead of a handoff it's a screen pass.  If the defender collapses you throw the pass.  If the defender stays put you just keep it.

#71 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 09:33 PM

Jesus you truly walk around with a thundercloud over your head don’t you? I can’t recall a single positive post you have ever made. That pessimism would depress the hell out of me.

Yeah but it is rooted in some truth.  Beckham missed an entire season last year, and 1/2 of seasons the two years before that.  Bateman has played in around 50% of his games over the last two years.  Duvernay is a great ST player, average receiver.  Flowers could end up being the guy who saves the crippled WR staff by mid season.  The point is that the Ravens WR group still has some questions.  Could be amazing, could be injured most of the year.  Just have to wait and see.  

#72 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 10:28 PM

I'm generally fairly optimistic when it comes to the Ravens. I'm cautiously optimistic about the WR group. Still doesn't mean there isn't significant injury concern.

#73 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 April 2023 - 11:53 PM

Did Proche even play last year? lol

#74 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 09:09 AM

Did Proche even play last year? lol

I'm pretty sure I remember watching him drop a few passes last season...

Proche and Wallace, what disappointments.

#75 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 09:22 AM

Did you all forget the Proche end around pass already? I know I’ve tried to block it out from my memory…
  • bmore_ken likes this

#76 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 10:48 AM

I'm pretty sure I remember watching him drop a few passes last season...

Proche and Wallace, what disappointments.

And Proche was supposed to have the best hands out of the group.  Another guy who looks great in training camp/preseason and then disappears once the season begins. 

#77 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 02:33 PM

He had 62 receiving yards and committed 39 yards worth in penalties.

#78 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 29 April 2023 - 03:28 PM

Proche is probably gone despite his STs worth. My concern is losing Duvernay's production on WR screens, jet sweeps and etc. because he won't be on the field often. He was never going to be a great wideout, but his speed and elusiveness showed great promise.

#79 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 04:10 PM

Proche is probably gone despite his STs worth. My concern is losing Duvernay's production on WR screens, jet sweeps and etc. because he won't be on the field often. He was never going to be a great wideout, but his speed and elusiveness showed great promise.

He's still their No. 1 kick returner I would think.  That alone will make him important but receiving?  It's going to be awfully tough to get on the field unless the starters get hurt.  

#80 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 06:25 PM

Proche will forever be known as an almost hero. The final play of the playoff game in Cincy with the Ravens trailing 24-17 from the Cincy 28 yard line Huntley throws a desperation pass to the endzone. It's into heavy defensive traffic but batted away instead of down. It falls to the ground, but not before hitting off of at least one hand of a Raven's receiver. James Proche, the almost hero.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=